or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › getting a new putter and new advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

getting a new putter and new advice

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hey there,

I am going Saturday to get a new putter and was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I have in the past just bought the most expensive thing out and figured it would make me great. Reality check that doesn't happen. So now I want to get a putter that is a truly going to make my game better. I am a very high handicapper and lose a lot of shots on the green. Putts way off line, way short or blown by. My question is when trying g them out would I be better suited for a blade or mallet. I know its personal preference to a degree but it one easier than the other for a high capper to hit consistently. Also when trying them out should I focus more on 3 foot putts, 10 foot putts or lag putts to get the best feel for what is gonna be best for me. I am going to avoid looking brands and really do want to get the one that will help the most instated of saying I have to get a Scotty Cameron strictly for the name. Any advice really is truly appreciated. I greatly love this game and am ready to finally improve. I am getting lessons and determined to finally put in the effort to have a game I am proud of.

-Chris
post #2 of 9
Go get fitted for a putter. Someone with a SAM fitting system would be ideal. I'm going to get one done, they are $100 in my area.

Then get either my putter tweaked for my stroke, or at least have the details on my stroke to make more of an informed decision when purchasing my next putter.
post #3 of 9

I am old school when it comes to selecting a putter. I just try out every putter I can and buy the one that feels the best.  I have a Nike Method Core putter, but I am considering using my old piece of junk putter Wilson putter because it just feels great when I use it.  IMO, putting is more about feel than science.

post #4 of 9

From your post, it doesn't seem as if you mind spending money on a putter. If you have the means, there is an Edel fitter within 50 miles of you (going of the location in your profile). You may want to check them out... Erik (iacas) is a fitter for them and from what I've seen they do great work and they do a great job fitting you for your putter so that you can line it up correctly as well as roll it consistently.

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
I have been nervous to get fitted for a putter because i am worried i dont have a proper stroke or setup and it will be a waste of time for the fitter.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaldo5252 View Post

I have been nervous to get fitted for a putter because i am worried i dont have a proper stroke or setup and it will be a waste of time for the fitter.

 

It's not. Happy to answer more questions for you if you have them, but basically, your alignment and touch (distance control) don't change much within a fairly broad range of setups. It can if you set up VERY weirdly, but if your stroke is at all within about 75% of normal, you'll be fine to be fit for a putter and that fitting will "stick" for a long time.

 

Plus, Edel will build you a new putter if your fit changes. Under-publicized feature of their fittings. We've never had to give someone a new putter, though, which speaks to the first paragraph I typed. :)

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Plus, Edel will build you a new putter if your fit changes. Under-publicized feature of their fittings. We've never had to give someone a new putter, though, which speaks to the first paragraph I typed. :)

This is something I didn't know and something that I think they may want to publicize a bit more. If people knew that they wouldn't be out the $300-$400 if their needs changed it may get them to get one. Now it has me thinking.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

I am old school when it comes to selecting a putter. I just try out every putter I can and buy the one that feels the best.  I have a Nike Method Core putter, but I am considering using my old piece of junk putter Wilson putter because it just feels great when I use it.  IMO, putting is more about feel than science.

We have a WINNA!!!
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85 View Post

This is something I didn't know and something that I think they may want to publicize a bit more. If people knew that they wouldn't be out the $300-$400 if their needs changed it may get them to get one. Now it has me thinking.

 

I'm fairly certain it's more of an unwritten policy, because as you can imagine people would come up with all sorts of ways to game the system if it was official. We personally do tell a lot of people though that they're welcome to come back in and go through a quick fitting again - they all quickly find that they STILL aim their Edel putter well. Or they've somehow adopted some bizarre posture that has their eyes a foot inside or outside the golf ball, or the ball outside their back foot, or something, and then they need a putting lesson, not a new putter.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack14 View Post

We have a WINNA!!!
 

If you say so. It's more likely I could find a putter he either aims more accurately, hits the proper distance more accurately, or both. a3_biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › getting a new putter and new advice