I am getting ready to regrip some of my clubs. I do my own regripping, (very therapeutic), and am looking for some input from the golfing community.
When I went out to the net to restock my general supply, I notice that there are so many new grips available that I started to wonder if it is time to change my favorite make and model. For the last 15 (or more) years, I have been playing the Lamkin Crossline grips and love them for their feel and durability. Recently, I played a Golf Pride® "New Decade Multicompound" grip. I found this grip to have a feel that rivaled my old faithful Crosslines. Now, if these Golf Pride's have such a good feel, I just wonder if there are other new makes and models that might even be better.
Over the years I have purchased various putter grips and change them periodically. Generally, I find that there's a lot more variety in styles and colors. (EX: My wife wanted a pink putter grip, and even though the one she picked out did not feel as good as the one that was on her putter, she made me change it just for the color.) Golf Pride, Ping and Lamkin have been my preferences. I've never tried a jumbo putter grip, but might like to try one in the near future.
Finally, I don't know if it is me, but about 20 years ago I started putting midsize grips on my 54° sand wedge, 60° lob wedge, and driver. I have a large hand, and could probably put a midsize grip on all of my clubs, but I really prefer the standard size grips on my irons, hybrids, and fairway woods, basically for the feedback. The reason for going to the midsize on my driver and wedges is for performance, so I don't get as "wristy" on those particular shots. To test my theory, I regripped a lob wedge for a friend and put on a midsize grip for him (a small to medium size hand), and he loved it.
So here are a few questions about grips that I hope some of you can answer...
1) What golf grip do you currently rate number one?
2) Rate these factors #1, #2, and #3 as why you play your current grip: feel (when you grip the club), feedback (on shots), and durability
3) Do you regrip a new putter, or do you use the grip that came with the club? If you regrip, which make/model is it?
4) Have you ever tried a jumbo putter grip? If so, what was the result? Did your putting improve, stay the same. or deteriorate?
5) Have you ever used different sized grips on some of your clubs, (driver, wedges, etc.), or for those of you who do regripping, have you ever added extra tape to the shaft to build up the grip? If not, would it be something that you would consider?
Thanks for any response :)