or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Stiff or Xstiff or a dodgy trackman???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stiff or Xstiff or a dodgy trackman???

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I was doing some tyre kicking at the local golf store and the guy said "dwanna have hit?" Stupid question really. It was the new Xhot from Cally so I gave it a hit. 105, 110, 114. No warm up and very uncomfortable grips(I use thick as, almost cricket bat size). 

 

I tried a 7 iron........85 mph, and wait for it 180 meters!!!! Bollocks. The guy then told me I'd need x stiff in all my sticks! I told him that  my 7 iron is a 155 meter club and maybe he should try turning the Trackman off and back on again(I.T crowd style).

 

WTF?

post #2 of 11

Wow.  Any idea what the loft was on that 7 iron?  Regardless, that's a long way.  Was it an actual trackman or some other launch monitor? 

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Don't know but it was cobras new baffler iron....funny looking thing , abit like the niblick.

 

180 meters with a 7 iron.....I'm calling bullshit on myself!

post #4 of 11

The thing with trackman is that you need to look at the carry distance because the 7 iron is not going to roll as much as they do on the monitor.

post #5 of 11
 
 
 

85 mph for xstiff? I wouldn't do that unless you have a whippy tempo on your swing.

 

 

 
post #6 of 11

Were you outdoors or indoors?

 

Indoors people will game the system by typing in a higher altitude and setting the fairway conditions to firm.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

 
 
 

85 mph for xstiff? I wouldn't do that unless you have a whippy tempo on your swing.

 

 

That was supposedly on his 7-iron. Is your chart for a 7-iron? The chart doesn't seem to fit a 7-iron or a driver, honestly. Weird.

post #7 of 11
 
 
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Were you outdoors or indoors?

 

Indoors people will game the system by typing in a higher altitude and setting the fairway conditions to firm.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

85 mph for xstiff? I wouldn't do that unless you have a whippy tempo on your swing.

 

That was supposedly on his 7-iron. Is your chart for a 7-iron? The chart doesn't seem to fit a 7-iron or a driver, honestly. Weird.


This the mizuno chart for iron shaft fitting for the 7 iron. At least it was the one used when I was in getting fit.

 
post #8 of 11
We are all optimists. We could all go to ten golf shops and hit in ten simulators, hitting a 180-yard 7-iron on only one, and that's the fitting we will order.
post #9 of 11

196 yard 7 iron is pretty big.

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post

We are all optimists. We could all go to ten golf shops and hit in ten simulators, hitting a 180-yard 7-iron on only one, and that's the fitting we will order.

Ed, there's optimism and there's self delusiona3_biggrin.gif

post #11 of 11

This is not unrealistic at all. The Callaway XHot 7 iron is a 30* loft. That is the same as my Cobra S3 Pro 6i. Yesterday, I did a Trackman distance analysis from top to bottom (had my bag swiped in Jan., so checking #'s with new clubs) and my 6i was 184y carry with 197y total. Calm day, a bit muggy, but not windy and not a warm day (upper 60's). The new trend is getting so out of hand, that if it continues, it will be necessary to carry 7 wedges! So it is always important to not only check the loft specs on the company website, but have your clubs spec'd out wherever you buy them. It's very important to know your exact lofts (each club typically will vary up to 1.5* per club from factory spec) so that you can establish your proper gaps. Based on my analysis yesterday, it showed that despite having a correct loft gap between my clubs, I will likely need to weaken my 8i from 38* to 39*, and my 7i from 34* to 33* to correctly cover my gaps.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Stiff or Xstiff or a dodgy trackman???