or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Newbie Alert with a (hopefully not) stupid question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newbie Alert with a (hopefully not) stupid question

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
So, I have my first golf lesson in just over a week. I'm a short person, under 5', and and will nees some petite clubs.

My question is, I found some inexpensive clubs but they are not petite, is it possible to have a buddy of mine trim down the shaft (I think that's what it's called) in order for them to fit me better?

Thanks in advance for humoring my newbiness.

-CaliOkie
post #2 of 19

OMG ... that is the dumbest question I have ever ...  (totally kidding!)c2_beer.gif

 

Actually not a dumb question at all ... And I don't know the answer.

 

I searched "trimming shafts" and it returned a lot of threads.  Here is one ... http://thesandtrap.com/t/31950/downsides-to-butt-trimming-steel-iron-shafts/0_30

 

It sounds like you'll be fine if you trim the butt end (assuming the people who answered that thread knew what they were talking about)a2_wink.gif

 

Good luck, and welcome to the game and the site!

post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Hahaha thanks for the laugh!

Yeag, after I posted my question it dawned on me that I could also google the answer. I found a few how-to videos and it seems pretty easy. Probably wont do it myself but knowing it's possible makea me feel better about buying clubs that are for someone over 5'...unlike myself.

It was either that or buying the junior version club set. :)

-CaliOkie
post #4 of 19

Trim the shafts.  But if you have a chance, you could look into being fit for clubs. (maybe your second set?)

 

So.... what I want to know is: are you a Californian in Oklahoma? or an Oklahoman in California?

post #5 of 19
Just tossing some ideas here, but won't trimming the shaft down cause the lie angle to become more upright? Depending on how many inches you need to trim, you may want to consider your irons will now be a few dregrees upright. Or will they become a few degrees flat? I know it's late here, but I'm having trouble visualizing what shortening the shaft of a mid-iron will do to the lie angle of the club head? I'm thinking make it more upright?
post #6 of 19

Trimming the shaft make the club lie flatter, assuming you setup with the same posture. It won't make the lie angle change one bit.

 

To the OP: Being short like that, I would go see a clubmaker, don't buy off the rack sets and have them modified. Since you are going to take your first lesson, you don't even need a whole set, ask the clubmaker to build you a 7 or 8 iron, take your first few lessons with it and see how it's feel. Don't worry about lie angle or anything else, just get them feel right swinging. Most of the time you will find the club too heavy or too light, or too imbalance (head heavy or shaft heavy), tell the clubmaker, he will make adjustments accordingly.

 

I made a bad decision switching to steel shaft irons without trying them out first and now have to spend $$$ going back to graphite, way too heavy for me. Go see a clubmaker or at least try before you buy.

post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
I skipped on buying the regular size clubs and decided to check out Dicks Sporting Goods. They were having a sell on last years models, I picked up a 16 piece and stand bag for $120!

And the best part...the clubs were petite size.
I am now ready for my first leson.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblar View Post

Trim the shafts.  But if you have a chance, you could look into being fit for clubs. (maybe your second set?)

So.... what I want to know is: are you a Californian in Oklahoma? or an Oklahoman in California?

Im a Californian in Oklahoma. :)
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Also, you all are amazing at responding to my question. I thank each and one of you!
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliOkie View Post


Im a Californian in Oklahoma. :)


Same here.

Central Coast-ish (Santa Ynez Valley) to Central Oklahoma (Norman).

You?

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliOkie View Post

So, I have my first golf lesson in just over a week. I'm a short person, under 5', and and will nees some petite clubs.

My question is, I found some inexpensive clubs but they are not petite, is it possible to have a buddy of mine trim down the shaft (I think that's what it's called) in order for them to fit me better?

Thanks in advance for humoring my newbiness.

-CaliOkie


So we you can have someone cut the clubs down but depending on how much you do have them cut the weight of the club changes. I suggest not cutting clubs really more than 1/2 or at most 1 inch. But since you are just beginning it probably is not a huge deal and you can do that to save money and then buy a pre cut down set if you like the sport.

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf View Post

Just tossing some ideas here, but won't trimming the shaft down cause the lie angle to become more upright? Depending on how many inches you need to trim, you may want to consider your irons will now be a few dregrees upright. Or will they become a few degrees flat? I know it's late here, but I'm having trouble visualizing what shortening the shaft of a mid-iron will do to the lie angle of the club head? I'm thinking make it more upright?


Shortening makes them more flat. I was recently getting fit for Ping i20's and the rep for Ping said that I should either go std length and red dot (.75* flat) or I could go 1/2 inch short and black dot (std lie). The shortening of the club 1/2 inch changes the lie angle by .75 degrees at least on my pings. It also changes the swingweight.

post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblar View Post


Same here.
Central Coast-ish (Santa Ynez Valley) to Central Oklahoma (Norman).
You?

Born & raised in Kern County, moved out here via San Jose. I first moved to Norman but now live in MWC.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliOkie View Post


Born & raised in Kern County, moved out here via San Jose. I first moved to Norman but now live in MWC.

I pass through your old neighborhood all the time (or near it I presume) ... I live in Orange County, but grew up in Fresno.  Family still lives there and I visit a couple of times a year.  (Easter is one of those times:))

post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I pass through your old neighborhood all the time (or near it I presume) ... I live in Orange County, but grew up in Fresno.  Family still lives there and I visit a couple of times a year.  (Easter is one of those times:))

So are you saying that you're in California right now? Jealous!

I'm headed back for a visit in August. Haven't been home in a little over a year.

Hope you're having a great time!
post #16 of 19
I'm always here! (Except when I'm not). ;) I live down in the OC.
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I'm always here! (Except when I'm not). ;) I live down in the OC.

Oh this is funny! I got you and Roblar mixed up. Hahaha

I do miss California.
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliOkie View Post


Oh this is funny! I got you and Roblar mixed up. Hahaha

I do miss California.


And once you start really playing golf, you'll learn to miss the Californian courses!  (Or, perhaps, the other way around.)  I have fun playing 'hilly' courses now whenever I go to CA.  Of course, you learn to deal with wind a bit when you play out here....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Newbie Alert with a (hopefully not) stupid question