or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Interpreting Driver Fitting Numbers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Interpreting Driver Fitting Numbers

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

So, I went to the local Golf Galaxy because I was curious about what stats I have when I swing my driver.

 

It didn't appear that they had flightscope or trackman but some other device to measure stats.  Not sure how reliable the numbers the device they had spits out so I wanted to see if anyone thought these numbers were realistic and, if they are, what I might be able to focus on with my driver.

 

I think vertical angle is launch angle and if it is, what stood out immediately to me is that it seems very low.  My driver is an TM R11S with a 11* loft and I put the ball about the same line as the big toe on my front foot.  Is it possible to have vertical angles that low? 

 

I also took some video at golf galaxy on my phone which I would be happy to upload if someone thinks it would be helpful.

 

I also recently purchased a rangefinder that is due to arrive on Tuesday so I plan to take it with me and hit a few balls and see if I get similar distances to what these are.

 

Thoughts?

 

Distance Carry Run Club Speed Ball Speed Smash Vert. Angle Hor. Angle Backspin Sidespin Max Height Draw/Fade
259 246 13 105 148 1.41 6.6 2.5 3199 180 32 16 L
222 210 12 95 132 1.39 9.4 6.8 3753 529 27 36 L
250 242 8 105 145 1.38 11.5 5.0 3574 391 43 32 L
273 256 17 110 156 1.42 2.8 4.3 2787 287 26 29 L
256 245 11 105 147 1.40 8.7 0.6 3366 43 37 4 L
231 222 9 99 136 1.37 11.8 5.2 3807 410 36 29 R
241 231 10 101 140 1.39 10.3 3.7 3617 285 35 22 L
252 240 12 103 145 1.41 8.4 5.0 3389 376 34 32 L
226 213 13 96 134 1.40 8.7 7.1 3662 546 27 33 R
263 253 10 108 150 1.39 9.0 3.0 3296 223 40 20 L
266 251 15 108 152 1.41 4.4 4.7 2974 325 28 31 L
249.00 237.18 11.82 103.18 144.09 1.40 8.33 4.35 3402.18 326.82 33.18 14.5 L
post #2 of 12
Video your current swing and then you probably can tell if it's the machine or you. I would guess that you are doing something in your swing. Your launch angle isn't what stood out to me but your fluctuations in your club head speed. There was a max difference of 15 miles per hour! I wonder what type of monitor it was...
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark View Post

Video your current swing and then you probably can tell if it's the machine or you. I would guess that you are doing something in your swing. Your launch angle isn't what stood out to me but your fluctuations in your club head speed. There was a max difference of 15 miles per hour! I wonder what type of monitor it was...

 

Ahh, not sure what kind of monitor it is but here's a video of my 2nd to last swing. 

 

post #4 of 12
Was the ball teed low? Where at on the face were you hitting the ball? Is hard to tell with the dtl view, I think face on would help out better for this problem. I'm no expert, not even close, but your swing looks better than mine! Lol! The only two things I got would be tee height and impact on the face. If you tried teeing it up higher and hit it on the face higher it would really help your launch angle. Also with face on it would show whether you were getting an in line impact our not. Another possibility is you could be having too much forward lean at impact thus lowering the loft causing your launch to be low.
Just a few ideas.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclark View Post

Was the ball teed low? Where at on the face were you hitting the ball? Is hard to tell with the dtl view, I think face on would help out better for this problem. I'm no expert, not even close, but your swing looks better than mine! Lol! The only two things I got would be tee height and impact on the face. If you tried teeing it up higher and hit it on the face higher it would really help your launch angle. Also with face on it would show whether you were getting an in line impact our not. Another possibility is you could be having too much forward lean at impact thus lowering the loft causing your launch to be low.
Just a few ideas.

In that booth I wouldn't have been able to get a FO view. 

 

I don't remember how high the tee was set up - it was one of those rubber tees.  I also didn't have impact tape on the club to see where I was hitting it. 

 

When I get my rangefinder I'll go to the range and take some vids of the swing and see what kind of distances I get.

 

On my app from the round I played on Friday I calculated the distances of my drives.  It's a pretty hilly course but these are the numbers it generated:

 

Hole Distance
1 206 yards
2 217 yards
3 226 yards
5 227 yards
6 244 yards
8 225 yards
10 253 yards
12 232 yards
15 228 yards
17 240 yards
18 206 yards
Avg 227.64 yards
post #6 of 12
When it says you hit it 270+ with a launch angle of 2.8* and 2700 rpm of spin, I would recommend that you ignore the distance component of this particular monitor. I'm not even sure how one would launch it at 2.3* without really thinning the shot, but then the shot wouldn't have a smash factor of 1.42. I wonder if the monitor was improperly calibrated?
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post

When it says you hit it 270+ with a launch angle of 2.8* and 2700 rpm of spin, I would recommend that you ignore the distance component of this particular monitor. I'm not even sure how one would launch it at 2.3* without really thinning the shot, but then the shot wouldn't have a smash factor of 1.42. I wonder if the monitor was improperly calibrated?

Yeah, but if the distance component is off then how can one have confidence that any of it is reliable?
post #8 of 12

I wouldn't trust that machine much at all.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I wouldn't trust that machine much at all.

I'm leaning that way myself. Which are the biggest reasons you wouldn't trust it?
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

I'm leaning that way myself. Which are the biggest reasons you wouldn't trust it?

 

There's no one reason. All of the numbers are suspect because of the variations, the bizarre calculations, etc.

 

They're crap numbers. Terrible. I wouldn't trust the thing farther than I could throw it.

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

There's no one reason. All of the numbers are suspect because of the variations, the bizarre calculations, etc.

They're crap numbers. Terrible. I wouldn't trust the thing farther than I could throw it.

What made me start questioning it was the fact that in 11 swings, not only did I hit it 260+ multiple times, which I've only done once in actual play, but I also hit it 273 with what I interpret as a really low vertical angle.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

There's no one reason. All of the numbers are suspect because of the variations, the bizarre calculations, etc.

 

They're crap numbers. Terrible. I wouldn't trust the thing farther than I could throw it.

If it's one of those tiny little things (most I've seen at the shops are around five pounds) you could probably throw it a good distance, provided you had a decent grip on the thing. They might be more useful in a shot put competition than as a launch monitor!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Interpreting Driver Fitting Numbers