or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I am looking for those who have compared these 2 shafts and what decision was reached.
post #2 of 10

Re: Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2

I only compared them while testing out some new drivers and the variations between them from the launch monitor testing wasn't enough to sway me either way. The end result however was purchasing a Mizuno MX-500 driver because it was on sale with the Aldila shaft. That was 5 months ago... and since then I haven't regretted the decision as the club with the shaft combo has given me about 20 extra yards off the tee. I was looking to reduce both launch angle and spin and I think I accomplished that with this club.

Also, I have the Aldila shaft in my 3 wood (Cleveland 15*) and a new Titleist hybrid that I just got this past xmas. My 3 wood launches lower as well and I'm expecting the hybrid to do the same.

I think from my research, the UST launches a little higher than the Aldila NV? It all depends on what you want. I notice you are using the Aldila in your driver? How do you like it?
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

Re: Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2

Originally Posted by tigerwoo View Post
I only compared them while testing out some new drivers and the variations between them from the launch monitor testing wasn't enough to sway me either way. The end result however was purchasing a Mizuno MX-500 driver because it was on sale with the Aldila shaft. That was 5 months ago... and since then I haven't regretted the decision as the club with the shaft combo has given me about 20 extra yards off the tee. I was looking to reduce both launch angle and spin and I think I accomplished that with this club.

Also, I have the Aldila shaft in my 3 wood (Cleveland 15*) and a new Titleist hybrid that I just got this past xmas. My 3 wood launches lower as well and I'm expecting the hybrid to do the same.

I think from my research, the UST launches a little higher than the Aldila NV? It all depends on what you want. I notice you are using the Aldila in your driver? How do you like it?
Do you have the Aldila NVS 65 or the NV65 stiff? The NV65 stiff is green and I believe the NVS is a higher launch shaft and is an orange color. The NV65 and the Pro Force V2 are mid trajectory shafts. The NV65 has 3.5 torque rating and the V2 (65g) shaft has a torque in the range of high 2's or maybe a 3.0.
I am just wondering which shaft is the easier of the 2 to hit. I have read where the V2 is winning the argument, but I have not discussed this with anyone who has experienced both shafts. I am fairly pleased with the NV65, but you know the saying. "the grass is greener on the other side of the hill."
The 10.5* head gives me a good 12.5% launch angle at a swing speed of 104 mph. So, I have a good launch angle. I am just wanting to hear if the V2 gives a little more distance and a little tighter dispersment because of the torque.
post #4 of 10

Re: Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2

i play a v2 in my driver and 3 wood and there is nothing close out of all the shafts i tried. v2 is a great shaft easy to hit.
post #5 of 10

Re: Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2

Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
I am looking for those who have compared these 2 shafts and what decision was reached.
i have played both shafts extensively. my 983k 9.5* had the aldila nv65s- the green shaft and my current driver 905r 9.5* has the 66 gram v2 s.

the nv plays very stiff, almost x stiff. more than one club fitter has said that most single digit players should not play that shaft. its to tough to hit consistently with slower swing speeds. it has a higher kick point so i struggled to hit the ball in the air. my launch angle was consistently 10-11 and i had a hard time feeling like my swing generated enough speed to really flex that shaft. and my driver speed is like 107-110. my misses were low power draws- hooks. when i hit it good and it was dry, i would hit my draw and i would get 30 yrds of top spin roll but many times out of the fw into the tall stuff. i never got a nice high ball flight though and that cost me big time. after 2 yrs of that shaft i finally said enough.

i got fitted for my 905 and after looking at many shafts i settled on the v2 stiff and could not be happier. first, the 66 gram v2 is way better to get the ball up. its lighter weight, compared to the 77 gram v2 that comes with most stock drivers. the ligher weight works for me and i can really gernerate more speed. the v2 has a lower kick point as well and that gets the ball to jump at 13 * for me which is ideal for my swing speed. i can feel this shaft flex and i know the shaft is is giving me that extra snap that i need to get the ball airborn and carry it farther. its also very accurate. i hit way more fairways now since my ball flight is higher the ball does roll less and stops in the fw.

bottom line, for me, the v2 is the best combination of flex, launch angle, accuray and weight for my swing. get fitted though, for sure. it makes a world of difference.

905 9.5* w/ v2 s
904 3wd 15* w/ speeder s
tm 200 steel 5w 18* w/ prolite s
585h hyb 21* w/ 4175 s
585h hyb 24* w/ 4175 s
miz mp30 5-pw w/ rifle 6.0
vokey 54* spinmill
vokey 60* raw
ping redwood anser 34"
pro v X
miz aerolite tour standbag
post #6 of 10

Re: Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2

i played with them both and tried my current driver in the aldila but went with the ust i hit it further and i could really feel the club head idk it was weird but i hit it much more consistently plus the matte finish is cool haha
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 

Re: Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2

Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i have played both shafts extensively. my 983k 9.5* had the aldila nv65s- the green shaft and my current driver 905r 9.5* has the 66 gram v2 s.

the nv plays very stiff, almost x stiff. more than one club fitter has said that most single digit players should not play that shaft. its to tough to hit consistently with slower swing speeds. it has a higher kick point so i struggled to hit the ball in the air. my launch angle was consistently 10-11 and i had a hard time feeling like my swing generated enough speed to really flex that shaft. and my driver speed is like 107-110. my misses were low power draws- hooks. when i hit it good and it was dry, i would hit my draw and i would get 30 yrds of top spin roll but many times out of the fw into the tall stuff. i never got a nice high ball flight though and that cost me big time. after 2 yrs of that shaft i finally said enough.

i got fitted for my 905 and after looking at many shafts i settled on the v2 stiff and could not be happier. first, the 66 gram v2 is way better to get the ball up. its lighter weight, compared to the 77 gram v2 that comes with most stock drivers. the ligher weight works for me and i can really gernerate more speed. the v2 has a lower kick point as well and that gets the ball to jump at 13 * for me which is ideal for my swing speed. i can feel this shaft flex and i know the shaft is is giving me that extra snap that i need to get the ball airborn and carry it farther. its also very accurate. i hit way more fairways now since my ball flight is higher the ball does roll less and stops in the fw.

bottom line, for me, the v2 is the best combination of flex, launch angle, accuray and weight for my swing. get fitted though, for sure. it makes a world of difference.

905 9.5* w/ v2 s
904 3wd 15* w/ speeder s
tm 200 steel 5w 18* w/ prolite s
585h hyb 21* w/ 4175 s
585h hyb 24* w/ 4175 s
miz mp30 5-pw w/ rifle 6.0
vokey 54* spinmill
vokey 60* raw
ping redwood anser 34"
pro v X
miz aerolite tour standbag
Thanks for the comparison. I relate to the stiffness feeling. I generate at my best swing about 108 mph and only on my best swings do I get the ball on the mid/high trajectory I am looking for which with this shaft is about 25%. My weak hits are also low hooks and the shaft does not have much feel. I have a backup 9* G5 head with a NV65 that I am going to put the V2 in and compare it swing wise with my 10.5*G5 with the NV65. I know the launch angle will be a little off, but I am looking for feel and ease of use. At age 55 I don't want to have to be at my physical best late in the round to hit the NV65 if I can perform with more confidence with the V2. Great feedback. Thanks.
post #8 of 10

Re: Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2

Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
I am looking for those who have compared these 2 shafts and what decision was reached.
I had an Aldila NV65 shaft on my driver and changed it. It was too whippy and I felt as though I was losing control at the top.

The fitter that I went to see gave me various shafts to use. I did not like the UST Pro Force but UST makes a great shaft: The ACCRA SC series. I hit with the SC 75 and absolutely loved it. It was heavier, never felt as though I was losing control.

I would recommend that you take a look at the ACCRA SC series. They make them as light as 55 grams and as heavy as 95 grams.
post #9 of 10

Re: Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2

Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
Do you have the Aldila NVS 65 or the NV65 stiff?
I have the green NV65 stiff. It sounds like you have a similar swing speed as I (105-110mph). I don't seem to have a problem with ball flight with my shaft/head combination. Perhaps the type of head also has a little impact on the ball flight as we are both using 10.5 degree lofts? My Mizuno MX-500 head is a composite blend of graphite and steel. Graphite toe insert as well as a full graphite crown which lowers the COG. Like I said, I'm 20-30 yards further down the fairway than with my previous driver (TM 580xd) so I am quite pleased with the shaft/head combo. What type of yardage are you averaging with your driver currently? I average between 280-290 with mine (~260 carry). If I put a little mustard into it, I can get passed the 300 yard mark. I would think with similar swing speeds we would be close?
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 

Re: Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2

Originally Posted by tigerwoo View Post
I have the green NV65 stiff. It sounds like you have a similar swing speed as I (105-110mph). I don't seem to have a problem with ball flight with my shaft/head combination. Perhaps the type of head also has a little impact on the ball flight as we are both using 10.5 degree lofts? My Mizuno MX-500 head is a composite blend of graphite and steel. Graphite toe insert as well as a full graphite crown which lowers the COG. Like I said, I'm 20-30 yards further down the fairway than with my previous driver (TM 580xd) so I am quite pleased with the shaft/head combo. What type of yardage are you averaging with your driver currently? I average between 280-290 with mine (~260 carry). If I put a little mustard into it, I can get passed the 300 yard mark. I would think with similar swing speeds we would be close?

Yes, that is about right. I played again today (54* in January) which is winter golf weather here in Arkansas and put several good swings back to back to back and for winter play was carrying about 250-260 with no roll out due to the wet ground with a slight draw and a good trajectory. I just wanted to see if the V2 felt any better. I am going to put the V2 in my G5 9* head as a back up driver and try it and leave the NV65 in the 10.5* G5 head. My launch angle with the NV65 and 10.5* head is 12.5-13*. So, I am where I need to be with my swing speed. Maybe just wanting to see if the grass is greener with the V2. Thanks for the feedback.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Aldila NV65 vs UST Pro Force V2