IGNORED

Club Choice Question

Joe Richard
Note: This thread is 1810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello I am a fairly new golfer and have been taking some lessons and starting to play big courses.  I have access to several sets of golf clubs and I would really like some help in choosing the correct ones.  The first set is a 2008 Callaway big Bertha graphite shaft.   The second set is Callaway X2 hot irons with graphite shaft.  The third set is Callaway X 22 with graphite shaft. I like the X2s hot but they seem a little bit longer than the rest of the clubs I am 5 foot six so I am wondering if it is recommended to have them sized to me.   Thank you very much in advance for your help.  

If cost isn't a factor...go with whichever you like.  Am I correct in assuming you've had the opportunity to try them out?  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes. I have the big berthas and the x2s here.  But need to choose a set.  I have read the big berthas are forgiving but when I get better they will be somewhat restrictive.  I played the x2s today and liked them. Just wanted to get some opinions as I am fairly new and cant really tell the difference as of yet. 

I wouldn't worry about the "when I get better they'll be restrictive." They're both what are called game improvement irons. What GI clubs do is if you hit a little off center you'll still advance the ball a fair distance, sort of, rather than roll the ball 20 yds. With brand new GI irons you might hit a poor 7 iron 100 yds instead of 150 yds. You still have to learn to make center contact regardless of what you're using, and that boils down to learning to swing the club and not think about hitting the ball. Or should I say swing the club without tension. So I wouldn't think about it until your handicap gets down to around say 13. But in the meantime, if you like playing the game and you have a couple grand burning a hole in your pocket and want a set of those cool looking PXGs or whatever go for it. Who am I to say what you should play with? Just as long as you're enjoying playing, right?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Thank you. I guess my question was which of the mentioned clubs would be worth keeping longer term.   I liked the X2s I played today. I may have made the mistake of paying attention to reviews on clubs. 

I should mention I have both the big berthas and the x2s from a friend to try and chose which set I want to keep. Just not a lot of time to make a decision. 

• iacas changed the title to Club Choice Question

When you get better?  Who can say if you will, or not, and what clubs you would prefer if that happens?  Take it from an old gear head; your game and your clubs evolve independently of each other.  There is no reason to believe that your first set will not be your favorite set years from now.  Or you might wonder, at some future date, wonder how you ever put a round together with such crude implements.  Either way...it is not a question that can be answered at present.  Instinct is going to have to do for now.  

Whatever you decide to do...don't second guess yourself.  Golf is all about not doing that very thing.  

Bon Chance.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

21 hours ago, Joe Richard said:

I have read the big berthas are forgiving but when I get better they will be somewhat restrictive. 

Complete and utter nonsense. Sorry.

How do you think they restricted Rocco Mediate in his duel with Tiger Woods in the U.S.Open in 2008? That is the question I would ask the people who make this claim.

Please don't buy into the BS peddled on forums about "players" clubs and GI clubs limiting shotmaking. :-)

Edited by leftybutnotPM

Note: This thread is 1810 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!