IGNORED

Strange ball flight...

Saks
Note: This thread is 5922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have developed a strange ball flight with my short irons (6-9) Trying to hit a draw, Starting just right of the target, the ball starts drawing ok to start with, then when it looks like its going to draw too much, the ball has been inexplicably then fading back onto target again??? Im not complaining, I'm certainly getting some close to the pin now but its hard to allow for a ball thats going both ways!

It was dead calm as well tonight when this was happening! So not a wind issue.

For interests sake, the rest of my clubs: 5 iron - draw, 4 iron - fade and driver a mix of push, high fade or high draw. Any ideas? I also hit the ball quite high as well.

Cheers

There are a number of reasons for this to happen, my assumption based on what you have said would either be:

1) your hitting the ball from a steep angle of attack, with a less than perfect strike which could result in the ball leaving the club face in the desired direction (right of the target as your playing for a draw), with spin that can take the ball offline.

2) you had a cracked ball, which as a result caused the ball to move in the air.

3) It's not fading at all, it's just your brains interpretation of what it's seeing, the ball could of simply stopped drawing, and started falling straight to the ground, giving you the impression that the ball is fading towards the target.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

see if my description matches your swing at all... which i think can cause a flight like that.

starting from the top of your swing. you start to come across it a little/around you (as you would for a fade/slice) and pull your arms but then you compensate and try to bring your club back into the slot and manage to hit straight out instead of around you

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

see if my description matches your swing at all... which i think can cause a flight like that.

Unless there is a very strong crosswind, there is no way a club hitting a good ball (no cracks or bits peeling/peeled off) can put both fade and draw spin on a ball. It just doesn't work that way. The spin during the flight does decay, but it doesn't turn over to start spinning the other way. Unless, like I said, there are some massively strong crosswinds.

It is much more reasonable to assume that it was some observation errors. Like previous posters have suggested, maybe it was a pull fade. It's not impossible that it was a small local wind, either. Wind sometimes just finds very localized corridors to blow down -- there are a few stretches driving along the Interstate where you will get zero visibility for about 50 feet from the blowing snow. And, it is always in the same spot, so there is obviously some feature in the land that directs the wind to blow right along that particular spot. But, an undamaged ball cannot start drawing then fade without some outside forces acting on it. It is impossible.

were you at a range?

this sometimes happens when you hit range balls. as they are often bare and their dimples are GONE!

its it due to uneven surface of the dimples pulling against the air.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

Ok. I wasnt at a range. And it was on two different holes in different directions. It also did it on a third hole on another occasion. Dont know enough about my swing to see if it matches jcrews description above. What is a pull?

Im thinking that as its starting out right and drawing back fine, it is a bit of an illusion as it stops drawing and keeps going up (like i said I hit it real high) making it look like its coming back...

Any other theories?

Unless there is a very strong crosswind, there is no way a club hitting a good ball (no cracks or bits peeling/peeled off) can put both fade and draw spin on a ball. It just doesn't work that way. The spin during the flight does decay, but it doesn't turn over to start spinning the other way. Unless, like I said, there are some massively strong crosswinds.

I agree

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

It sounds to me like you are pulling the ball, but hitting a fade...it is impossible for a ball to have draw spin, and then fade spin in the same flight (even with terrible winds this should not happen...a ball is to aerodynamic).
In the bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto stiff shaft
Woods: Burner 15* 3 Wood w/ Fujikura, stiffHybrid: 503H w/ Aldila NV, stiffIrons: 755 3-9 w/ Project X 5.5 shaftsPitching Wedge: MP-T 47*Gap Wedge: MP-T 51*Sand Wedge: MP-T 56*Putter: Rossa SienaBall: Laddie/Laddie...

I've got to believe that you eye is playing tricks on you. The ball could very stop drawing for the most part, but your eye is used to watching the draw and then tricks itself into believing that it is fading when the ball stops drawing.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Note: This thread is 5922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!