IGNORED

Should I get the Cleveland TA5 irons for approximately 75 dollars?

Note: This thread is 1761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey there!

I have a Titleist Tour Model iron set which is really unforgiving to play since I am a beginner.

I thought of buying a set of Cleveland TA5 at 75 dollars shipped to Uruguay. Since I am on a budget (dollar is expensive for us), I wanna make sure I am making a good buy. The seller is GlobalGolf and I want to make sure everything could go well with them. My fear is receiving something which doesn't suits me. I'm 5'8", therefore, I'd be going for a standard set of irons. 

I really liked this set and a lot of golfers on the internet recommended them to me since they say they're one of the most forgiving irons on the range of prices.

What do you think? Should I make the investment?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Rodoalo said:

really unforgiving

This is vastly overrated.  It's you, not the arrow, sorry to say.  Save the $75 and get lessons since you already have clubs.  No since in buying another set of irons when you're still a beginner.  Those Titleist's are good clubs.

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
9 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

This is vastly overrated.  It's you, not the arrow, sorry to say.  Save the $75 and get lessons since you already have clubs.  No since in buying another set of irons when you're still a beginner.  Those Titleist's are good clubs.

I was thinking that also!

But you sometimes get confused when your teacher, says to you is that your irons are old and that won't be useful for anything and that you should change them. 

They told me they're crap, basically. 

I tend to believe they aren't impossible. They exist, somebody used them.

Edited by Rodoalo

Old doesn't mean crap.  They're certainly better clubs out there, but unless they're really, really terrible, I'd keep them for a while and learn the game.  Then go out and get some proper clubs.  

4 minutes ago, Rodoalo said:

your teacher, says to you is that your irons are old and that won't be useful for anything and that you should change them

Further, I'd be concerned if my teacher was more worried about my clubs than instructing me on how to play golf.  His teaching, if valid, should work regardless of how old my clubs are.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Old doesn't mean crap.  They're certainly better clubs out there, but unless they're really, really terrible, I'd keep them for a while and learn the game.  Then go out and get some proper clubs.  

Further, I'd be concerned if my teacher was more worried about my clubs than instructing me on how to play golf.  His teaching, if valid, should work regardless of how old my clubs are.  

Sure. There are a lot of more forgiving clubs But they're Titleist blades! They are good!

I will change the grip of them surely because they're really hard and old. That will improve their playability surely!

I also have on my set a Cobra SS-I 8 iron and a Taylormade RAC 9 iron, plus a Wilson SW and a Triumph PW, really forgiving. 

If you do decide to buy the TA5's, they are very forgiving in the Ultra Game Improvement class , bested only by the TA6 and then the (original model) Launcher. I have and have played the TA5s and the TA6s. Pay attention to your swing speed though and get the proper weight and flex shaft. Good luck on your adventure! Best, -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

@Rodoalo  Do you play guitar?

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

5 hours ago, Rodoalo said:

Yes I do, why?

Guitars and golf clubs are similar in one respect:  there is no direct correlation between expense and utility.  What really matters is your opinion...based on your experience and skill.  The more skill you have...the more discerning you can be.

75 dollars is a small price to pay for a decent set of irons.  Go for it or stick with what you have.  Either way your likes, and dislikes, are going to evolve...along with your game.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, Piz said:

Guitars and golf clubs are similar in one respect:  there is no direct correlation between expense and utility.  What really matters is your opinion...based on your experience and skill.  The more skill you have...the more discerning you can be.

75 dollars is a small price to pay for a decent set of irons.  Go for it or stick with what you have.  Either way your likes, and dislikes, are going to evolve...along with your game.

Very good analogy.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, Piz said:

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Very good analogy.

Thank you all for your comments!

I will be getting maybe a set of Ping I3 irons which I got for 25 dollars. They're red dot... I was fitted green by the chart, but for the price, I could get the red.

In case I do not feel well with them, they offered me some old Wilson irons, cavity back and oversize which are really forgiving (the old Wilson Ultra TC clubs) for 20 dollars also with driver, woods and putter.

I do not want to give away my Titleist Tour Models. I feel like someday I will manage to hit them! I have already hit some decent shots with them (one of them straight!).

What I hate about golf is that sometimes they want to sell you all the time new equipment and you start to lose your notion on what matters that is you going out and playing and practicing. 

Note: This thread is 1761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!