IGNORED

Wedges

mgolfer
Note: This thread is 5894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I am quite confident using my sand wedge and when I hit a green it checks up but does not stop straight away or backspin. Would this be because of my wedges or because of my contact with the ball.

Hi,

either one, both, impossible to tell without seeing how you contact the ball. Do you make an agressive swing hitting ball first in a downward strike? Type wedges, how old?

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Just based off your handicap I'd say that its mostlyyour contact. Most people have a tough time getting the ball to stop quickly at a single digit, and the majority really only get to the point of backing it up close to scratch.

But I way to get the ball to check up more is with a clean decending blow, usually with a divot off good turf afterwards and enough speed to make sure it compresses and runs up the grooves. Although the ball plays a very important factor as well. A softer ball such as a Pro V1 will get much more backspin than a Top Flight for example.
In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

I would say in most cases you don't want the ball to spin back. Are you usually short or long of the hole on your approaches?

Driver: 454 Comp 10.5* Stiff
3-Wood: Warbird Strong 3 Stiff
Irons: I10, 3-PW, white dot, stiff
Wedges: Tour-W 54/14 and 60/10
Putter: Anser 2Ball: Pro-V1

It varies.

Today I was playing with a pro v1 and each shot was stopping within 1-5 feet, even very low long pitching wedge shots. I hit one pitching wedge from 100 yards and it backed up about 15 feet diagonally left :o ...gotta love the pro v1s - I swear they make my game much less pressured, knowing that my ball won't just roll straight off of the green on approaches :)

Meh, guess I sorta solved my own question :D

• 3 weeks later...
Don't be too concerned with spin backwards. The goal is to get the ball near the hole. Many times it is much better to allow the ball to 'release' and not backspin. Backspin sometimes is unreliable and uncontrollable....and require even better distance control.

If the ball is releasing too much...consider two things. Change you ball (don't be playing Top Flights or other hard balls). Second is to get a 60* lob wedge if you don't have one. And of course...work on your swing fundamentals of not decel'ing through the ball.

I've never understood wanting tons of backspin. Not only do you have to know exactly how far you're hitting it, but you have to predict how far back it's going to roll. I would prefer to have the issue you have now which is to have it check anywhere from 1 to 5 feet. At least then you know all you have to do is hit it that distance and it will stop by the hole.

try wedges with lower bounce like lob wedges and realy try to take a divot infront of the ball

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

I agree with klaymon, La Costa Golfer and rydaddy. Spin is totally overrated...It is a lot easier to judge a ball that you know is going to stop where you think it is than figuring out how much a ball is going to spin....The object is to get the ball close/into the hole regardless of "how"

Note: This thread is 5894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!