IGNORED

New player, new clubs

Note: This thread is 1746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, I'm pretty new to the golf world, recently played my first 3/4 rounds using old clubs from the garage, but now I'm looking to buy some clubs, any suggestions on what to get, a few different options budget wise would be good?

What sort of clubs do you have and how old are they?   There's a world of difference between you having Wilson staff blades from the 70s and having some Ping G10s laying around. 

Welcome to TST by the way. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, fronnoc said:

Hi, I'm pretty new to the golf world, recently played my first 3/4 rounds using old clubs from the garage, but now I'm looking to buy some clubs, any suggestions on what to get, a few different options budget wise would be good?

Do not ask for suggestions. :-)

All that will happen is that you will get a hundred people telling you what they have and a hundred others saying that they "have heard good things about" clubs they have never seen.

Keep it simple - Clubs from a major manufacturer that are no more than about 10 years old that are designed with some forgiveness in mind - basically meaning cavities in the back and wide soles to stop them digging into the turf if your swing is too steep. Look at some clubs in your price range and then research the type of player that they are designed for.

Remember also that there are many, many players on the PGATour who play what some people will describe as "game improvement" clubs:-)

And if (when) people say "get fittedf", ask yourself "who is doing the fitting?" How good are they ahve they been properly trained? Are they trying to "fit" you into a set of clubs they want to sell?

Edited by leftybutnotPM
  • Informative 1

If you are dead set on getting newer clubs before seeing a swing instructor, or some sort fitting guru, I would recommend the newest, cheapest, game improvement clubs you can find.

Clubs that can be easily adjusted later on to fit your swing changes would be a plus. 

This way, if the clubs are ill fitted to your swing, you won't be out much money. 

Facts are, if you stay with your golf game for any (long) length of time, you will probably be buying several sets of clubs over the years. This is normal for just about everyone who plays this game. 

• Informative 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

What @Patch said.  You have no way of knowing what you will like, or dislike, down the road.  Pick out something, stick with it a while, rinse, and repeat.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Welcome to TST.   

19 hours ago, Patch said:

If you are dead set on getting newer clubs before seeing a swing instructor, or some sort fitting guru, I would recommend the newest, cheapest, game improvement clubs you can find.

+1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 1746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!