IGNORED

Can you break 100 at Torrey Pines in US Open setup?

seattlemudder
Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you think you can break 100 at Torrey Pines a week before the US Open?

• Yes, I can definitely break 100 at Torrey Pines
    • No way can I break 100 at Torrey Pines

im still trying to break 100 at my local muni. so that would be a defenite no. Id sure love to try though

If the commitment is not there, it's time to walk away -Larry Flynt-

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article in this month's Golf Digest. In sum, the USGA is making a concious effort to make the course a little more playable than recent Open Courses. This doesn't mean easy by any means, it just means that rather than a 14 or 15 on the stimp, they are only going to shoot for 13, and they might be nice enough and leave a cut of rough that is actually playable. Plus, it sounds like they aren't going to play Torrey at its longest, so the 7,600 yard number that is quoted in every discussion of the course might not be the actual distance. Plus, you can't forget that while the greens are fast, they physically aren't as bad as the greens on other courses. Sure, there will be some bad pin placements, but Torrey isn't Pinehurst or Oakmont when it comes to borderline-unfair greens.

Agreed. But this guy has probably never played on greens that roll 11, much less 13. Great, there's a cut where the rough is playable, so he has an extra variance of 5-10 yards on each side of the fairway - not significant enough when a 10 handicap "misses" his drive. And the "playable" to the pros is likely "fairly unplayable" for a 10. OK, so they might play from 7400 or 7500 instead of 7600 - either way, several hundred more yards than this guy is used to playing or maybe has ever played. Friendly bet that he doesn't break 110.

I believe I could, because i shot an 84 from the blues at a pro course near me, which happens to hold an Open qualifier event. Even though it wasn't the pro tee's that i played from, I'm pretty confident that I could break 100. I would be very happy to break 95 though.

With all due respect, the blue tees at some course in Ravensville or wherever you live is not even in the same ballpark as Torrey Pines in an Open setup. And to use a Pulp Fiction reference, it "ain't the same f'n ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same f'n SPORT!"

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

I think they will barely miss 100 IMO

In my Clemson Sun Mountain Superlight 3.5 bag
Driver - Cleveland Launcher 9 deg., stiff gold shaft
3 wood - Cleveland launcher 15 deg stiff gold shaft
3 Hybrid - Adams Boxer 19 deg
4 Hybrid - Nike Sumo2 hybrid 23 deg.Irons - Callaway X-18 Wedges - Cleveland CG 14 (50, 54, 58 degree)Putter -...

Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!