IGNORED

I Like Shiny Things… New TaylorMade P790s

Note: This thread is 1709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit and liked the new Titleist T Series irons. I'm already looking at the new Mizuno irons. I've been a fan of the original Taylormade P790's. Now Taylormade comes out with these...  How's a person to decide?????

The P700 series irons from TaylorMade pack powerful performance into a clean, classic design to create a true players distance iron. Discover the...

I can't help myself. I love new shiny things. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Before I retired and had extra cash I was a club hound, loved shinny new clubs. TaylorMade is always coming out with new clubs. I would just pick which works for you and not go back to the store anymore, LOL. Stay away from the shinny new clubs, you'll never have enough. I have four sets of irons, six drivers, eleven putters, and an untold number of wedges, chippers, etc. And I have sold a lot, (at a loss a loss I might add).

On 8/12/2019 at 4:36 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I hit and liked the new Titleist T Series irons. I'm already looking at the new Mizuno irons. I've been a fan of the original Taylormade P790's. Now Taylormade comes out with these...  How's a person to decide?????

The P700 series irons from TaylorMade pack powerful performance into a clean, classic design to create a true players distance iron. Discover the...

I can't help myself. I love new shiny things. 

Now ya gotta go hit the new Mizuno's and these new TaylorMade's! Buy whichever set you like the best, or buy all 3..it's just money at the end of the day.

:titleist:

11 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Yes, they can be all yours for just $3000.  You've got to be friggin kidding me.

The Golf Galaxy I was in had the new P790's for $1400 for an 8 club set.

I assume they will discount the remaining 2017 P790's, but those were still $1300 per set when I was there.

15 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The Golf Galaxy I was in had the new P790's for $1400 for an 8 club set.

I assume they will discount the remaining 2017 P790's, but those were still $1300 per set when I was there.

On the link I was looking at the titanium p790 that's why I said $3000.  I figured u were laughing at that one too.

I love the first p790 irons that came out.  Great look and no issues with crazy distances when I've tried them.  It would be hard to improve on them.

• iacas changed the title to I Like Shiny Things… New TaylorMade P790s
On 8/14/2019 at 9:29 PM, Typhoon92 said:

On the link I was looking at the titanium p790 that's why I said $3000.  I figured u were laughing at that one too.

I love the first p790 irons that came out.  Great look and no issues with crazy distances when I've tried them.  It would be hard to improve on them.

I got to see them in person last night. I have to say they look even better (I realize that is subjective.) 

Didn't get a chance to hit them yet. 

New Irons are in the works for me before the start of next season. I just gotta figure out which ones and get fitted and all of that stuff. My current gamers are more than 10 years old. So, I figured I got my money's worth out of those. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Even at $1300, include me out!

Prices on the p790 irons from last year lightly used are not even $800 now.  I also could not do $1300, I don't mind waiting a year or so.  God love those who buy stuff new...that's how I get them used!:-D

I got a chance to hit these the other day. I actually hit them side by side vs the originals. I also hit the Mizuno Hot Metal, the Hot Metal pro, The Titleist T100 and T200, and a couple of other irons. Yeah, it was a fun day of testing. 

Anyway, if you like the originals, you will probably like these. Here's what I found. The original P790 was actually longer for me..... ??? Had no idea why. In truth it may have been the shafts it may have been the offset. But the new P790's had better dispersion, again for me. 

I think it's the offset. The P790 never felt "closed" or "offset" to me, until I hit the new ones. The new P790 definitely has less offset. 

I think because of that the new ones had a tighter dispersion, and the previous models had some outliers that I cranked down the right field line. Maybe? Maybe somebody else can explain it to me. The guy fitting me, said the new ones are actually designed to hit the ball even higher than the previous ones, but that's mostly in the 6, 5, and 4 irons. The 7 irons should have been fairly comparable in terms of launch. And certainly the peak heights I was getting showed no appreciable differences.

I'm not buying a set of either. I actually pulled the trigger on some Mizunos. But I'm curious what other people who have hit both the old and the new P790's think.  

Note: This thread is 1709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!