IGNORED

California “Like New” Golfer

Santamarina
Note: This thread is 1700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started swinging at the driving range when I was in Jr High. Played here and there in my 20s/30s. Now, almost 44 years old, I’m seriously getting into golf as my father-in-law added me to his golf club membership. Last month I played for the first time in 10 years.

I’ve always had hand-me-down clubs. At 6’4” those clubs have always been too short for me. It’s time to buy my own clubs - the proper length. However, I don’t have a ton of money to spend - so the latest Taylor Mades aren’t in my near future. 

Can anyone recommend a good brand (even clone brands)? I’ve come across things like Pinemeadow Golf and SV3, where I could get a set for under $500. Are those any good? 

I’d like to save up for a better quality club, but I fear the more I play with these short clubs the more my form will suffer. 

There is no shortage of good quality used golf equipment.  Golf clubs do not hold their value any better than new cars do...worse actually.  If you were to look up "Best new clubs 2016" then search on-line for said clubs...I believe you will discover that 500 bucks is more than enough.

Or you could go the component route.  The last set of irons I purchased (from Maltby Golfworks)  cost me about 300 bucks...assembled to my specs.  Since you want clubs somewhat longer than usual; it may make more sense to order them that way rather than extend the shafts of an existing set.  Not that shaft extensions are expensive or difficult to do; but it may not be worth it if you have to buy a vice, pipe cutter, epoxy, new grips, etc...for a one time project.

P.S.  Two brands that always come up in discussions like this one are Adams and Tour Edge.  Both are excellent and both, used, can be had for very little money.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to California “Like New” Golfer
Note: This thread is 1700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!