IGNORED

My Swing (checkerfred)

checkerfred
Note: This thread is 1032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for:  21 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 75-85
My typical ball flight is: Everywhere lol.  I typically hit a draw but sometimes I'm all over the place during a round, hitting fades and draws.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pulls and huge pushes/blocks.

Videos: 

Hey everyone!  I'm been on the site for a while but haven't been active so I'm trying to change that.  I've played golf a long time and while I can shoot a decent score sometimes, I'm just not consistent.  I really want to fix that and get down to a very low handicap.  I feel like I can do it.  I've had several lessons in the past and a recent one where we worked on rotating through and clearing my left hip.  Other lessons have also mentioned this and I struggle with it.  I don't have any injuries and can do the motion, although I'm sure nowhere near what a pro would be, but during the swing I struggle.  One of the hardest things for me to get right is being on plane in the backswing.  I just can't consistently do this.  I've tried just about everything but still feel like I take it too much to the inside.  I've just joined back on Evolvr too so hoping I can fix some of these issues.

For the most part, I hit the ball fairly in the center of the club face, just not consistent with direction or taking out one side of the course.  Not sure it matters but here's my typical club distances. 

Driver: 260ish to 290ish depending on the day and ball flight,  3 Wood:  235-240,  2 Hybrid: 215-225, 4 iron: 190-195 then stepping down about 10 yards through each iron, but depends on the day and what kind of contact.  Some days I hit it really good and hit the ball farther

• billchao changed the title to My Swing (checkerfred)
  • 1 year later...
(edited)

Recently went through surgery colon cancer and trying to somewhat get back in shape. I’m hitting it horrible. Hitting pulls and blocks, some shanks, and having issues with fat shots. 

Edited by checkerfred
Links are bad
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, checkerfred said:

Recently went through surgery colon cancer and trying to somewhat get back in shape. I’m hitting it horrible. Hitting pulls and blocks, some shanks, and having issues with fat shots. 

It’s looking pretty good considering what you’ve been through. How is your lower body strength doing? Your flexibility is fine.

Try sliding your hips more forward as you start your down swing to about A6, then use your left leg to power your hip turn. I’m working on the same thing and need my left hip to be over my right ankle at A6.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It’s looking pretty good considering what you’ve been through. How is your lower body strength doing? Your flexibility is fine.

Try sliding your hips more forward as you start your down swing to about A6, then use your left leg to power your hip turn. I’m working on the same thing and need my left hip to be over my right ankle at A6.

Thanks! I’m as strong as I was but I’ve had issues getting my lower body to rotate. I’ve had some in person lessons about it too and I just struggle. I can slide no problem except sometimes I end up moving my head forward and then start shanking but it’s the rotation after sliding that I struggle with. I need to look up some flexibility drills for that 

2 hours ago, checkerfred said:

Thanks! I’m as strong as I was but I’ve had issues getting my lower body to rotate. I’ve had some in person lessons about it too and I just struggle. I can slide no problem except sometimes I end up moving my head forward and then start shanking but it’s the rotation after sliding that I struggle with. I need to look up some flexibility drills for that 

I don’t think it’s a flexibility/mobility issue, but more about learning how to use the lower body properly in the swing.

Looks like you need to sit/squat into that left leg more in transition and then use that leg to push the left hip up and back away from the ball.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

22 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don’t think it’s a flexibility/mobility issue, but more about learning how to use the lower body properly in the swing.

Looks like you need to sit/squat into that left leg more in transition and then use that leg to push the left hip up and back away from the ball.

Maybe so because I can get into impact position at setup and have no issues. It’s just been so hard to try and get into the position you describe. It’s like my body just freezes up 

9 minutes ago, checkerfred said:

Maybe so because I can get into impact position at setup and have no issues. It’s just been so hard to try and get into the position you describe. It’s like my body just freezes up 

Right, but it’s not because you can’t do it, you just haven’t learned how to dynamically. Start slow. Take a full swing with a 7 iron that might travel 100 yards and really focus on the movement over quality of contact. There are a number of threads on good practice methods.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Right, but it’s not because you can’t do it, you just haven’t learned how to dynamically. Start slow. Take a full swing with a 7 iron that might travel 100 yards and really focus on the movement over quality of contact. There are a number of threads on good practice methods.

Thanks!  I’ll look for some of those. It’s weird, I can bump and turn but it’s just so hard to do it at any kind of speed. My rotation is more limited on the turn but I can still rotate some 

7 minutes ago, checkerfred said:

Thanks!  I’ll look for some of those. It’s weird, I can bump and turn but it’s just so hard to do it at any kind of speed. My rotation is more limited on the turn but I can still rotate some 

When you want to change the motion, start slowly, even if you can only do it properly on a chip or something, then work your way up in speed over time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!