IGNORED

Driving Iron

Bonvivant
Note: This thread is 1683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have been looking to fill the 14th slot in my bag and the gap between my 4W and 3I seems to be the weak spot (230-195ish). I do have a 5HY that I won at an outing years back that is currently in that spot, but it goes about the same length as my 3 iron and I have always preferred irons. I am looking for something with 19.5 or 20 degrees of loft because that fills the gap in lofts just about right (16.5 for the 4W and 23 for the 3I). Does anyone have stories about their experiences with driving/utility irons? I think this is the route I am going to go but have never owned one before and was wondering what advantages/disadvantages people have seen with these clubs.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driving irons tend to be used primarily off the tee, hence the name.  Often with a large, lower, muscle back not really designed to interact well with the turf.  It sounds like you’re looking for something to fill a gap in your approaches.

Am I understanding that you hit your 4W 230?  Have you considered a 5W since you obviously hit the 4W so well?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Was with a lad today who used a driving iron off the tee, never used a driver. For me, I can't see the benefits. The range is down on a driver, and there seemed to be zero forgiveness. And as for taking it off the deck, you may as well have a spade in your bag! 

As with all things golf - it's all down to personal taste I guess.

3 hours ago, NavyDave said:

Was with a lad today who used a driving iron off the tee, never used a driver. For me, I can't see the benefits. The range is down on a driver, and there seemed to be zero forgiveness. And as for taking it off the deck, you may as well have a spade in your bag! 

As with all things golf - it's all down to personal taste I guess.

I hit a 18* 2 Ironwood off the tee. It's s not a driving iron, as far a loft goes, but the extra mass of the head works well for me. 

It also works well for me off the turf, sometimes thin lies, and fairway sand. 

Not being a long hitter of the ball anymore, also helps with this club.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I picked up a Srixon 20* Utility Iron this year instead of a hybrid.  I really like it.

I hit it more from the fairway then off of the tee.  I like to hit irons as you  @Bonvivant mentioned you prefer to also.

I am not concerned about using it from the rough also.  Fun club to hit.  I have spent a lot of time at the range learning and getting comfortable with it also.

I also bag  5 Wood and really like that as well.  I would suggest going to a Fitter and seeing which of these options would best fit your bag.  You might be surprised and it will take the guess work out it.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

2 hours ago, djake said:

I picked up a Srixon 20* Utility Iron this year instead of a hybrid.  I really like it.

I hit it more from the fairway then off of the tee.  I like to hit irons as you  @Bonvivant mentioned you prefer to also.

I am not concerned about using it from the rough also.  Fun club to hit.  I have spent a lot of time at the range learning and getting comfortable with it also.

I also bag  5 Wood and really like that as well.  I would suggest going to a Fitter and seeing which of these options would best fit your bag.  You might be surprised and it will take the guess work out it.

This was the club that I was interested in the most. They call that a 320 iron on the bottom right? This would be the best for gapping of lofts (not necessarily distances but it should be in between my 3i and 4W).

Thanks to others for the good input. I will probably end up playing the rest of the season here in Ohio with what I have, and do some more extensive research and trying out by the beginning of next season. Hopefully I can find someone that has one I can test hit. I know that it won't be fitted for me, but it should give me an idea if I want that over a wood.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Note: This thread is 1683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!