IGNORED

My Swing (phillip__jeffries)

phillip__jeffries
Note: This thread is 1597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 1.2 years (grew up playing baseball)
My current handicap index or average score is: 17
My typical ball flight is: high ball flight with a draw, hook, pull-hook with all clubs but driver. driver is high ball flight with two way miss. big push slices or big hooks.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: push, push-slice, especially with the driver

Videos: 

Hi all,

Looking for advice on my swing. I grew up playing baseball and really got serious with golf in August 2018. I've been going to lessons regularly and working on my swing. I like my swing coach but am curious by nature and all for hearing different opinions.   

I know that I cast / flip the club and have been working hard to correct this. It's gotten better over the past year, but just can't seem to get rid of it. I know that my low point needs to be ahead of the ball, but I tend to hit balls fat no matter how hard I try. It's killing my distance and consistency, especially with longer clubs. I do notice in slow motion that my club face seems open on the downswing, which is weird, because I try very hard to keep it closed.  

On radar with practice swings I can hit 112-115 mph with my driver using moderate effort, but it seems like once you put a ball in front of me I'm lucky to hit 100-102, and I generally average more around 95-98.

I typically hit my wedges, irons and hybrids much better than my driver / 3 wood. I feel very comfortable 140 yards and in. I probably lose 5-10 shots off the tee per round on penalties or errant drives that leave me with punch shots or long second shots.

Would appreciate any and all advice! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

01.jpg

Yeah, so, you're not wrong about Key #3: Inline Impact.

I'd make sure you're pivoting hard, too, to open up more at impact. Stay closed and you'll tend to flip a bit more. Keep opening up hard to help the handle lean a bit more forward (front shoulder).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

01.jpg

Yeah, so, you're not wrong about Key #3: Inline Impact.

I'd make sure you're pivoting hard, too, to open up more at impact. Stay closed and you'll tend to flip a bit more. Keep opening up hard to help the handle lean a bit more forward (front shoulder).

Thank you. In terms of the pivot, should the feel be firing the hips hard along with the feel of getting my arms forward in position from the key #3 drill you’ve posted in the past?

During my first few lessons, I was very stuck on the downswing due to slow arms, so maybe I am overdoing staying closed on the downswing as a reaction?

Edited by phillip__jeffries

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, phillip__jeffries said:

Thank you. In terms of the pivot, should the feel be firing the hips hard along with the feel of getting my arms forward in position from the key #3 drill you’ve posted in the past?

During my first few lessons, I was very stuck on the downswing due to slow arms, so maybe I am overdoing staying closed on the downswing as a reaction?

It's tough to say without seeing the previous swings.

More open, handle a bit further forward. I think the former will help the latter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with pivoting a bit more to open up your hips and shoulders, essentially rotating more through the ball. Not rotating causes that wrist flick and that pull hook you seem to despise. A great drill to do is just take an alignment stick and hold it against the club, extending the shaft, and making sure that the alignment stick doesn't touch your body as you swing. 

This will also allow you to compress the ball better, skip to about 3:36 to see the alignment stick drill I'm talking about. 

On 12/4/2019 at 11:03 PM, ChunkOfFairway said:

I agree with pivoting a bit more to open up your hips and shoulders, essentially rotating more through the ball. Not rotating causes that wrist flick and that pull hook you seem to despise. A great drill to do is just take an alignment stick and hold it against the club, extending the shaft, and making sure that the alignment stick doesn't touch your body as you swing. 

This will also allow you to compress the ball better, skip to about 3:36 to see the alignment stick drill I'm talking about. 

Thanks. I’ll check this out.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:55 PM, iacas said:

It's tough to say without seeing the previous swings.

More open, handle a bit further forward. I think the former will help the latter.

I've been working on this over the past month. Really feeling like I'm pushing my hips hard to get weight forward, it appears on video that I have a bit more rotation and slightly more open shoulders, but still don't think I'm getting near as open as has been suggested.

How should I initiate my downswing? Should the feel be really pushing the hips forward? Right now I am uncertain about how to move down with my hands, too.

I've been told to feel like I am karate chopping into the ball, then other places I hear that the hands play a more passive role, while others say to feel like the back of the hand gets back to the same position at address.

I've included a driver swing and an iron swing. It looks like I really lose my posture in my driver swing compared to iron swing.

Note: This thread is 1597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!