IGNORED

Bending Cleveland 588 Wedges

Note: This thread is 1591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I bend my Cleveland 588 RTG 56 deg wedge to 54 degrees, is it likely to break?  

Thanks.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

I had a Wilson C200 wedge bent from 55* to 53*.  The Wilson is a cast club and 2* Is probably the max.

I think your Cleveland wedge is forged so It should be no problem to go from 56* to 54*.

Now for the other news.  It is my understanding you will lose 2* of bounce off the wedge.  I imagine you can open it up to get loft and bounce back to original.  My wedge was cheap and it was worth the $5 to get more loft.

John

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good point.  So if my 56-12 is bent to 54 I should get a 54-10 deg bounce club.  That is actually what I am looking for.  Will give it a shot.

Thanks.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

• iacas changed the title to Bending Cleveland 588 Wedges
  • Administrator

Yeah, two degrees is normally fine for anything. Cast, forged, whatever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, two degrees is normally fine for anything. Cast, forged, whatever.

So if I gave you my Rocketbladez Tour A wedge and PW you'd be comfortable bending them 2 degrees stronger without breaking them?

Edited by Mr22putt

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

So if I gave you my Rocketbladez Tour A wedge and PW you'd be comfortable bending them 2 degrees stronger without breaking them?

Yeah.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

When we visited the Ping factory in 2015, weren't most of the clubs they were bending cast rather than forged?  They didn't seem to have any concerns.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:32 PM, iacas said:

Yeah.

I've also PM'd two golf fitter/repair guys on other forums and said they could bent but no guarantees.

I have asked a couple of guys here and both said they would not bend them unless I signed a waiver.

I just don't want to chance a break...it would limit my opportunity to flip them when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow-up; the bending from 56 to 54 worked.  Took 2 minutes at Golf Galaxy and $5 for the job.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!