IGNORED

Need some straight talk.. Am I over thinking?

DirtCheap
Note: This thread is 5912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I bought a used set of irons form an online retailer.
They arrived with completely rotton grips and one shaft an inch shorter then the rest.

I got angry.. (really angry)

I'm past that now and I need to decide what to do.
They said they would take them back if I would pay for return shipping.
Or...
They would send me an $18 refund.

So..
Do I pay the $10-15 dollars and send them back and start over, or do I just suck it up, take their $18 and put it toward brand new grips?

Several guys have told me that I should be re-gripping every season anyway so I really should just let the grip thing go.
The shaft issue I can have "fixed" with a plug when I have the grips done so it kind of hinges on regrips too.

I'm really new to having club repair done.. I dont even know how much a re-grip is going to cost.

I bought Callaways, so I don't want to put cheap-o grips on them, but at the same time, I hate to spend $80 out of pocket to put something into the condition it was supposed to have arrived in.

Am I putting too much thought into this? Should I just re-grip and move on with my life, or should I send the clubs back as defective and continue the hunt?

They're not bad clubs...
Callaway X-16s with graphite shafts.
I spent $220 on them shipped..

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

First of all, Duck Tales was the best!

Secondly, try your hand at regripping the clubs. Its really pretty easy, and actually a really good way to bond with your clubs! I'd be happy to help with instructions. It takes some time, but it's well spent. You can buy grips for about $4/$5 a piece. Maybe a tad more or less depending on the quality you want. So that times 8, we'll call $40. Other materials will cost you about $15. You may already have some of the necessary stuff though... Looks like a total of $55 to regrip yourself. You will save on materials cost the second (and future) times around though.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Where did you buy them and why do you think the grips should have been in new condition? If the ad said the grips were in good condition, or at least implied it, not to mention the shaft issue, I think they should pay the return shipping and give you a refund. If it was eBay, you may want to enter into a dispute soon over this.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd ask for a full refund, mainly because of the golf shaft issue which is something that I really don't like the idea of putting a "plug" in there to fix the problem. That's likely to cause weight and shaft flex problems.

The grips are a different issue since you should get them changed about once a season and it's something you can do yourself.

YAKUZA

No, you are not over thinking. I would be a little pissed too. You buy clubs that are advertised a certain way and you don't receive what you paid for. You can do 2 things. Treat it like a $20.00 mistake and send them back or keep them and regrip them. You could always call them back and ask for grips or a $5 per club credit for grips. When they say no tell them you want a return shipping invoice because you shouldn't be penalized for innacurate advertising. If they give you any lip at all I would let them know that you will be more than happy to share your story with your friends at the Sandtrap and any other place you frequent.

IMO, a reputable company pays return shipping whenever they make the mistake.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Where did you buy them and why do you think the grips should have been in new condition? If the ad said the grips were in good condition, or at least implied it, not to mention the shaft issue, I think they should pay the return shipping and give you a refund. If it was eBay, you may want to enter into a dispute soon over this.

In their description they mentioned cosmetic damage that "in no way affected playability." Of the 8 clubs, one has been regripped (with a non matching grip) and 6 of the reamining clubs have split grips and two of those are hanging half way off. They are dry rotted.

I guess I'm just going to send them back. With the shaft issue, they're just going to cost too much to put into acceptable condition.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I don't think you are overthinking... too much. I guess my thinking is this: with used clubs I would have guessed (a total guess btw) that the clubs would have grips that you could play with for HALF a SEASON at BEST. So you would have had to regrip probably before the end of the season - so i understand your annoyance that the grips are totally useless but it really then comes down to cost and convenience, no?

I DO agree with the previous post who opined that I would return the clubs due to the shaft problem with one of the clubs... that's NOT something anyone should expect or accept. But then again, I just looked up the set you bought at the callaway pre-owned site and you did get a deal. the lowest price on there is $311 for graphite.... http://callawaygolfpreowned.com/isets/isets-bb-x16.aspx?gcid=s1504x502&s;_kwcid=callaway%20x%2016|896522401

Up to you ultimately, I think you need to ask yourself, what would you be satisfied with in the end... weigh the benefits and costs and i think you will know what is best for you... good luck!

The grips are no big deal, but as for the short shaft. Like before I don't think it will be the same. I would also ask for the money to replace the grips. Threatening them will work too. lol

In my bag.
Driver-Adams 9.5
3 wood-Adams
5 wood- Wilson Head Speed
6-PW-Wilson Head Speed 3-5-Hybrid-Nike SQ2 Clone SW-Tour Edge Soft cast LW-Maxfli Black Max Froged Putter-Crossfire

But then again,

Thats a really good point..

I think what I am going to do, is today after work I am going to take them to my golf shop and get an exact estimate (haha) on how much its going to cost to put them in acceptable shape. If I can get them lined out and still be under $300, I just might go for it. I am on the fence. In one post I convince myself that I need to send them back and in the next I feel like I need to keep them. It's going to be 70 degrees this weekend. If I send them back, its going to be two weeks before I have clubs again. Thats something to consider.

Threatening them will work too. lol

I don't want to burn the bridge. I don't know if I'll do business with them again, but I would like the option.

I sent them back.
I am now ironless and its a BEAUTIFUL 71 degrees outside.

The local shop said it would take $115 to get them into proper working order. I just couldn't justify it.

So now, once my refund clears, I will be on the hunt for irons again.

If nothing else, I have learned a lot about grips and graphite shafts.

I sent them back.

Your course doesn't have loaner irons? Those can't be worse than not playing!

Did you end up working a real deal on sending them back, or did he make you pay for shipping?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Did you end up working a real deal on sending them back, or did he make you pay for shipping?

They are making me pay for return shipping.

Its really irritating considering it was their mistake, but it was fully disclosed in the auction terms so I'm not going to argue about it.

I would fight the return shipping. I wouldn't be belligerent, but I would state your disappointment and desire to use their services again in the future. If you have bought from them in the past, say so. I wouldn't just accept it and move on though if the product was not acceptable.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

They are making me pay for return shipping.

Did the auction say that if we misrepresent our product and send you one iron that is too short and the rest with crappy grips that you have the option of a refund if you pony up the dough to ship them back?

Come on, it didn't say that. Now you know they are going to scam someone else with no skin off their nose. I would be raising some cain with Ebay once you get your refund.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Did the auction say that if we misrepresent our product and send you one iron that is too short and the rest with crappy grips that you have the option of a refund if you pony up the dough to ship them back?

Actually it did..

It's standard wording in all of their auctions.
Inadvertent Misrepresentation As a titanium power seller with a 99.5% positive feedback rating, our experienced club listing agents typically undervalue the club rating. Please read condition ratings and club description completely before contacting Global Golf. If you feel that we have misrepresented an item, please contact customer service. The customer is responsible for the returning product. Once received Global Golf will re-evaluate the item, and determine if there in fact was a listing error. If an error was made on our part, we will issue a full refund, including original shipping within 24 hours of receipt of the item.

Well it sounds like you make the criteria for the free shipping. Good luck with the refund and once this is over you may want to let us know who it is so that no one here buys the clubs you just sent back.

Well it sounds like you make the criteria for the free shipping. Good luck with the refund and once this is over you may want to let us know who it is so that no one here buys the clubs you just sent back.

Surely they won't try it again...

Note: This thread is 5912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!