IGNORED

adverse affects of shortening the shafts of my long irons

jfrain2004
Note: This thread is 5921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently took 2" off my driver which has produced a vast improvement on my Tee shots. I'm one of those who believes that there is a different swing plane (progressivly flatter ) as you go down in your clubs. There is a glass ceiling for me with my 6 iron, from there up I consistently hit the sweet spot and get a true flight with more than acceptable distance control. However from 5 iron down it's basically hit and hope, could slice it, thin, fat ( not very often but I cannot remember the last time I mis hit a 6 iron or higher ) As the major difference from a swing point of view with a 5 iron or lower is the length of the shaft I'm thinking of making my 5 - 3 the same length as my 6 iron. Any body ever done anything like this before?

I recently took 2" off my driver which has produced a vast improvement on my Tee shots. I'm one of those who believes that there is a different swing plane (progressivly flatter ) as you go down in your clubs. There is a glass ceiling for me with my 6 iron, from there up I consistently hit the sweet spot and get a true flight with more than acceptable distance control. However from 5 iron down it's basically hit and hope, could slice it, thin, fat ( not very often but I cannot remember the last time I mis hit a 6 iron or higher ) As the major difference from a swing point of view with a 5 iron or lower is the length of the shaft I'm thinking of making my 5 - 3 the same length as my 6 iron. Any body ever done anything like this before?

Tiger Shark made a set of irons where the 6,5,4 & 3 were all the same length. They didn't make them very long.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Since each clubhead is a different weight and part of your distance gap is based on the difference in shaft length, and lie varies with the length of the club there are a lot of variables here. You would almost need to start from scratch. Maybe make your short irons a little shorter and instead of the usual 1/2 inch shaft progression maybe make it 3/8 inch. Some club makers specialize in making up sets with components from suppliers like, Wishon and is kgz?. I would look for somebody like that before I made these kind of changes, some of these individuals make these kind of changes as part of the fitting process.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

If you want some expertise, go to www.1irongolf.com . They make all the clubs the same length. I'm sure you'll be able to find what you need.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

If you want some expertise, go to

Wow, the entry in their faq about why modern clubs have incremental lengths sounds pretty convincing...

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Note: This thread is 5921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!