IGNORED

Putting Grip

Crafty
Note: This thread is 5912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Putting Grip?

• Reverse Overlap
    • Claw/Saw
    • Crosshand
    • Chest Anchor
    • Samoe as other clubs
    • Other

Just kind of wondering for the sake of wondering: what kind of putting grip do you use? THe poll is very generalized so give more details...

I myself use what I call a double interlock. I made it up (probably been used by hundreds of others but I had never heard of it) one day when I was trying out the reverse overlap. I just kept making it more andmore comfortable to me and my current putting grip is what came out of it. It is much like the interlock grip except:
-The index finger of the top hand interlocks between the index and middle finger of the bottom hand.
-The middle finger of the top hand interlocks between the pinky and ring finger of the bottom hand.

This creates a nice one piece feel and has helped my tendency to get wristy. Been using it for almost a year and have no intention to change.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Well i use the overlap and it is working great tiger also uses the overlap.. But many say that whatever grip feels good is good
In my Hoofer Extreme

DriverBurner Stock Shaft 9.5

1 Iron Hybrid Idea Pro3 Iron HybridIdea ProIronsX-Forged 4-PWWedgesSpin Milled Vokey PutterStudio Select Newport 2BallPro V1

you know i ve used the overlap for awhile but i made a transition to the claw to see how it works. After some practice with it i must say it really helped. Distance control and the fact the putts were just hit solidly was a big confidence boost.

I used to grip it the same as other clubs. Then I used the Jim Furyk (left hand low) style. I must've tried 3-4 other grips. The one I like - and that I've got the best results with - is the Stan Utley "hold it in your fingers" grip. I don't know if I'm much more or less accurate with it, but:

* Once I decided to use it, I stopped worrying about whether I was using the right grip when I putt. It's like when many folks at my level decide to only chip with one club around the green. It takes a variable out of the equation and gives us less worry.
* I find myself more relaxed when putting (this can't hurt).
* I feel as though I have more control of the putter. The first three weeks, I felt less control as though the putter was going to fall out of my hands. Once I got used to it, it felt like I have great control.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I switched to 'cross-handed' on July 28, 2007 and haven't looked back.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I use two putters now and select based on the size, grass and conditions of the greens.

I use a two ball Odyssey with a baseball (non overlapping) grip when I think need to play by feel (big, close cut, slick greens with lots of break), and a half CraZ Ping long putter on smaller, slower greens, such as the slow, straight bermuda greens common in my area. I put the left hand at the top against my body and just left of my right shoulder and for the right hand I put the base of the palm against the rear of the lower grip area so that all the right hand can do is push the club forward. The long putter is great for distance control on slow, straight greens; three putts with this putter are very rare.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

I was using my own messed up grip that was a takeoff of my regular club grip interlock. Then I had my putting stroke anaylzed by Golf Tec. My stroke almost made me puke! My take back looked like a stock market chart, it was all over the place. Also for some reason I didnt have my right thumb on the putter at all. The pro dubbed my grip the "flying thumb". He suggested I try the reverse overlap. That is what I am using now, seems to keep my wrists a bit more in check. Word to the wise, if you are unsure about something ask or get it checked out. I had been grooving that "flying thumb" grip all winter and now I have to start over.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Just a conventional grip, like I grip my irons, but I place both my index figures down the grip.

To be honest I've never really tried anything else as this has always served me well, and was the first grip I ever used with a putter!!

In my Freestyle standbag

Driver: FTiQ 10° Reg ZCOM Shaft
3 Wood: G10 5 wood TFC 129 Stiff Shaft
Irons: I5 3-PW DG R300 steel shaftsWedges: 54° Vokey SM & 58° Vokey SMPutter: Redwood AnserBall: Z-Star

Thanks for coining the word "samoe".
This will save a lot of time in conversation.
  • I think you can leave out "as" and the word still works.
  • When someone asks me "what's up?" I can just say "samoe".
  • When another poll starts like "Who's better, James Driscoll or Esteban Toledo", we can use "samoe" as the third answer.

Might be the best new word since "truthiness" in 2005.
We'll submit it to Colbert Nation for review.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I use a reverse overlap for every other club...

But when putting, I don't even touch the stick with my left hand. I only grip the club with my right hand, and then wrap my left hand around my right one. I get much better speed control for putts when I only use my right arm, so that's why I started gripping my putter like this.

Yeah, it might be weird... but so is the rest of my golf game. Just wait 'til someone has to do commentary for me one day... my game's so odd, I'd even leave Johnny Miller speechless.

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

Thanks for coining the word "samoe".

I know I butchered that word pretty bad. I was putting the post up in a hurry and dodn't proofread it before I posted.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I switched to reverse overlap about 5 years ago and it works well for me. The only other thing I do is on shorter putts I grip down a little and point my right index finger down the shaft. I picked it up from my father-in-law and it kind of stuck. It seems to cut back on my distance though so on long lags I don't do it.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

The Pro at my club showed me a 10 finger grip that had been shown to him by another pro at a tourney he was struggling in. He shot 66 the next day.

Slight separation between hands with extended left index finger. My wrist doesn't break anymore. It has saved my at least 4 strokes per round.

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

I selected "other" because I use left-hand-low ...is that the same as cross handed?

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

yep. cross handed and left hand low are the same. i had origionally voted reverse overlap. However i went out on to the putting green for the first time this year to mess around and i started putting left hand low and i like it a lot better. i was laging it a lot closer and i could deff. feel that i was less wristy. so i think this season is going to be left hand low for me.

yep. cross handed and left hand low are the same. i had origionally voted reverse overlap. However i went out on to the putting green for the first time this year to mess around and i started putting left hand low and i like it a lot better. i was laging it a lot closer and i could deff. feel that i was less wristy. so i think this season is going to be left hand low for me.

Thanks for the clarification. Also interesting that you found left-hand-low better for lag putting...that is the area that I suffer from since going left-hand-low...I orginally went to it because it helped me be more consistent on shorter putts (20 feet and in) but I have struggled with my lag putting...however, I recently got a putting lesson where my coach said she liked everything about my putting and gave me a drill to help with my lag putting...she said I was a good putter and she believes it is a confidence thing...go figure...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

I putt cross handed, saw Fred Couples doing it in the early 90's, and as bad as I was putting then I decided to give it a try and have been using it ever since. It doesn't feel right anymore trying to putt with my old standard grip. It seems to take the right wrist out of my swing. I was getting very wristy and "poping" the ball leading to poor distance control. Now it seems more pendulum like and it has improved my putting considerably since I have been using it.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Note: This thread is 5912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!