Supermatta

Lifting the Back Foot in the Downswing

4 posts / 313 viewsLast Reply

I have some trouble with my back foot lifting early in the downswing.

a little bit of early extension I guess.

I have some problem with thin shots with my irons. I don’t now if this creating my thin shots. 

I would love some drills, stretch, thoughts!

25 minutes ago, Supermatta said:

I have some trouble with my back foot lifting early in the downswing.

a little bit of early extension I guess.

I have some problem with thin shots with my irons. I don’t now if this creating my thin shots. 

I would love some drills, stretch, thoughts!

Welcome to TST. It would really help to see your swing. You can post a video in the ‘Members Swings’ thread and get some great advice. Why your trail foot is lifting is most likely a result of some other mechanic you’re  doing and that needs to be diagnosed before doing any drills. 

There are many YouTube videos that show ‘early extension’ drills. Maybe you could watch some and see if one represents what you’re doing wrong. Cheers.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lots of really good players lift their right foot during the downswing.  Just reading the question reminded me of one of my opponents from the 2017 Newport Cup.  @Pretzel uses this for his avatar.

small.nc2017-032.jpg.7bab87cd0cf28dfed518e53aea49f100.jpg.a6bd42109f207b62ac3388e07220b9a8.jpg

This doesn't mean that you don't have early extension, if you submit a video in the Member Swings area you'll get help diagnosing that.  It just means that lifting the trail heel in the downswing isn't always, by itself, a real problem.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades