khalespace

My Swing (khalespace)

7 posts / 712 viewsLast Reply

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 18 - unofficial, but my friends give me this when we play
My typical ball flight is: high, push
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: fat, thin, push, flipping at impact, chicken wing

I am RIGHT handed, the videos show me left handed. I will figure out this for the next videos. Many thanks.

Videos: 

Edited by khalespace

Sorry, I couldn't add more information on the first post because it is locked. I have attached the image at impact [from the video] which shows chicken wing and flipping. 

I started playing 20 years ago [in 2020] right after college with friends and coworkers help me with my swing. I took 4 lessons in around 2008 but it didn't help because I was too grooved with my bad swing. I shot anywhere from 84 (best round) to 104 in the last 15 years. I stopped playing in 2015 and returned to playing 2 months ago. Last month I played a 9-hole course twice before returning to an 18 hole course and shot 101 and 98 with many fat and thin shots. After taking lessons for the last 3 weeks I went out and shot 14 over for 16 holes last week before it turned dark and I was hitting the ball much better.

I always hit the ball too high which kills my distance. Under pressure I aslo top and hit fat shots.

I thought I have fixed many of my faults with 3 weeks of lessons but I am really surprised I haven't changed much watching myself on videos. Although I feel I make better contact with the ball right now. My instructor is trying to have me turn my left shoulder and point to the ball, have a bowed left wrist at the top of the backswing and more steep backswing to quiet my lower body which moves too much. I have 3 more lessons but I may add another 8 lessons after that.

Many thanks,

flipping.gif

Edited by khalespace

Welcome to The Sand Trap. The photo you took in the second post shows a bit of a flip before impact. Many of us had this issue, including me. What worked for me was doing  chipping drills trying to keep the hand ahead of the club head at impact. I also was instructed to forward press my hand more at set up. I start with small chips feeling like I hold the club head from overtaking the hands through impact, hinge and hold. Then gradually increase the length of the backswing and follow through with the same feel.

The first 6 videos in the thread below are a great was to dial in proper sequencing. A flip can happen for a couple of reasons. These drills talk about that.

There are also some great Key 3 videos in the thread below. Key 3 is “in-line impact” which basically is your hands slightly ahead of the club head at impact and the shaft pointing towards your left shoulder.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you boogielicious, I am trying to do the chipping drill you recommended. I find it is easier to maintain lag with chipping, as soon as I try the full swing, I revert back to flipping. I hope to keep chipping with lag and then slowly increase the swing until I can maintain lag with the full swing.

5 hours ago, khalespace said:

Thank you boogielicious, I am trying to do the chipping drill you recommended. I find it is easier to maintain lag with chipping, as soon as I try the full swing, I revert back to flipping. I hope to keep chipping with lag and then slowly increase the swing until I can maintain lag with the full swing.

Patience. Work on it for a few weeks and see if there are changes. 

51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Patience. Work on it for a few weeks and see if there are changes. 

I just came back from the range during my lunch break and hit 100 stinger type chips around 90 yards with my 8 iron. Hope to keep this drill going.

Try to finish the swings like in this drill below. Start with slow swings and try to feel keeping the hands ahead of the club head.