IGNORED

My Swing (khalespace)

khalespace
Note: This thread is 974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 18 - unofficial, but my friends give me this when we play
My typical ball flight is: high, push
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: fat, thin, push, flipping at impact, chicken wing

I am RIGHT handed, the videos show me left handed. I will figure out this for the next videos. Many thanks.

Videos: 

Edited by khalespace

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* stronger  than standard.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R series 52* and 56*. (80, 60)

Nickent: 4DX 2 hybrid 17* and 4 hybrid 23* (185 and 170 carry)

3 Wood: Tour Edge XGC 13* (195 carry)

Driver: Callaway FT IZ Driver 9* (210 carry, ~230 total)

Sorry, I couldn't add more information on the first post because it is locked. I have attached the image at impact [from the video] which shows chicken wing and flipping. 

I started playing 20 years ago [in 2020] right after college with friends and coworkers help me with my swing. I took 4 lessons in around 2008 but it didn't help because I was too grooved with my bad swing. I shot anywhere from 84 (best round) to 104 in the last 15 years. I stopped playing in 2015 and returned to playing 2 months ago. Last month I played a 9-hole course twice before returning to an 18 hole course and shot 101 and 98 with many fat and thin shots. After taking lessons for the last 3 weeks I went out and shot 14 over for 16 holes last week before it turned dark and I was hitting the ball much better.

I always hit the ball too high which kills my distance. Under pressure I aslo top and hit fat shots.

I thought I have fixed many of my faults with 3 weeks of lessons but I am really surprised I haven't changed much watching myself on videos. Although I feel I make better contact with the ball right now. My instructor is trying to have me turn my left shoulder and point to the ball, have a bowed left wrist at the top of the backswing and more steep backswing to quiet my lower body which moves too much. I have 3 more lessons but I may add another 8 lessons after that.

Many thanks,

flipping.gif

Edited by khalespace

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* stronger  than standard.

Welcome to The Sand Trap. The photo you took in the second post shows a bit of a flip before impact. Many of us had this issue, including me. What worked for me was doing  chipping drills trying to keep the hand ahead of the club head at impact. I also was instructed to forward press my hand more at set up. I start with small chips feeling like I hold the club head from overtaking the hands through impact, hinge and hold. Then gradually increase the length of the backswing and follow through with the same feel.

The first 6 videos in the thread below are a great was to dial in proper sequencing. A flip can happen for a couple of reasons. These drills talk about that.

There are also some great Key 3 videos in the thread below. Key 3 is “in-line impact” which basically is your hands slightly ahead of the club head at impact and the shaft pointing towards your left shoulder.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you boogielicious, I am trying to do the chipping drill you recommended. I find it is easier to maintain lag with chipping, as soon as I try the full swing, I revert back to flipping. I hope to keep chipping with lag and then slowly increase the swing until I can maintain lag with the full swing.

5 hours ago, khalespace said:

Thank you boogielicious, I am trying to do the chipping drill you recommended. I find it is easier to maintain lag with chipping, as soon as I try the full swing, I revert back to flipping. I hope to keep chipping with lag and then slowly increase the swing until I can maintain lag with the full swing.

Patience. Work on it for a few weeks and see if there are changes. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

51 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Patience. Work on it for a few weeks and see if there are changes. 

I just came back from the range during my lunch break and hit 100 stinger type chips around 90 yards with my 8 iron. Hope to keep this drill going.

Try to finish the swings like in this drill below. Start with slow swings and try to feel keeping the hands ahead of the club head.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 10 months later...
(edited)

Here is my latest video of my swing. I still have an overswing of the back swing, early release and flipping.

I am trying to limit my backswing to make my lower body more quiet. My goal is to have the top of the back swing closer to 9:30 to 10 o'clock rather than 11 o'clock. Hopefully a shorter backswing will minimize early release and flipping. What do you think?

Do I also have a chicken wing problem?

Despite my swing problems. Just because I am practicing everyday in my house my scores has been consistently to the mid 80s with 81 the lowest score the last 2 months. I am about 6 to 8 strokes better than 6 months ago.

My target is to stop the backswing right here.

backswing.thumb.jpg.ec0b87dbf20c55151a1c64b2dfa89a18.jpg

Edited by khalespace

25 minutes ago, khalespace said:

Here is my latest video of my swing. I still have an overswing of the back swing, early release and flipping.

I am trying to limit my backswing to make my lower body more quiet. My goal is to have the top of the back swing closer to 9:30 to 10 o'clock rather than 11 o'clock. Hopefully a shorter backswing will minimize early release and flipping. What do you think?

Do I also have a chicken wing problem?

Despite my swing problems. Just because I am practicing everyday in my house my scores has been consistently to the mid 80s with 81 the lowest score the last 2 months. I am about 6 to 8 strokes better than 6 months ago.

My target is to stop the backswing right here.

backswing.thumb.jpg.ec0b87dbf20c55151a1c64b2dfa89a18.jpg

I don’t think your backswing is too long. You could make it a little easier by flaring your feet a bit to help your hips open more. You are flipping at impact and your hips should be moving more toward the target on the downswing. Getting your weight forward at impact can help with flipping.

To improve on that, try working with shorter swings first like chips, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 swings and work to get your hands ahead of the ball at impact. A good reference is your shaft should be pointing at your left shoulder at impact. Start with short swings and film it. With each, get your hips to move toward the target during the downswing and get the hands to be ahead of the ball at impact. These are Keys 2 and 3 of the 5 Simple Keys.

These are good warm up drills too.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Your right elbow collapses a lot from A3 to A4. You do have a lot of rotation in the hips from A3 to A4

image.png

Maybe straighter right arm, and try to feel like you start the swing more with your turn and keep the turn more abrupt. To you, it might feel super quick. Just don't let your turn carry on forever. It might feel like 1/2 the amount of shoulder and hip turn. Take video of that and see how much it turns. Just try to get a feel of it stopping sooner. It might be more of starting your downswing sooner with the arms to. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

(edited)

Thanks @boogielicious , I will try hit 1/4, 1/2 and gradually 3/4 swings with hands forward of club head and more hip turn.

Thanks @saevel25, I will try more right arm extension. Thank you for pointing it out but it makes a lot of sense. I tried more right arm extension on the backswing and it actually limits the hip turn and overswinging which is great.

Edited by khalespace

(edited)

My latest video of my swing.

@boogielicious and @saevel25

I have hit a few hundred balls with 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 shots while trying to keep my hands in front of the club head. I also tried more extension with right arm on the backswing. I used a wire and pipe insulation to limit my backswing. Distance is about half club shorter than before. Do you think there is less flipping now? I will keep doing these drills.

Edited by khalespace

2 hours ago, khalespace said:

My latest video of my swing.

@boogielicious and @saevel25

I have hit a few hundred balls with 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 shots while trying to keep my hands in front of the club head. I also tried more extension with right arm on the backswing. I used a wire and pipe insulation to limit my backswing. Distance is about half club shorter than before. Do you think there is less flipping now? I will keep doing these drills.

Looks better. Keep at it and continue to rotate your shoulders through impact.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Looks better. Keep at it and continue to rotate your shoulders through impact.

And back. The trail elbow bends more when the turning rate is slow(er).

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!