IGNORED

Concealed carry while golfing?

DirtCheap
Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never once considered taking a weapon out golfing with me and I'm what some here would consider a 'gun nut'. I love shooting and firmly believe in personal defense, but golfing? If I felt the need to carry (and I do have my ccw permit) on the course I'd probably just stay home. Besides, every third golfer on my home course is either a Sheriff's deputy or policeman.

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for...

I am only into page two and so far this seems to be the common thought. Those who hate guns, hate them regardless. Those who see their value, still seem to see very little need for them on a golf course. Thats the impression so far anyway. page three coming up fast...

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If preservation of your "one life to live" is what this is all about then there are all kinds of other measures you might want to look into. Like oxygen tanks and kevlar body suits. Anytime you go outside you take the risk of inhaling an airborne pathogen that might end your life. Everytime you eat out in a restaurant there is a chance you could consume something that could kill - so perhaps always eating in is your best bet. You might want to grow your own food too... You might want to put up some lightning rods around your property to protect during bad storms.

There is a chance your neighbor is building a thermonuclear device in his basement, so you might want to build your own so that you can have first strike capability.

It's all about the kind of world you want to live in, or in this case, golf course you want to play on.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I carry concealed where my CHL will permit (see sig). I don't open carry at the course, but I have a sub-compact .40 that's with me.

God bless you.. And if I understand your avatar correctly, I would like to thank you for your service.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Compared to assault by firearm, you are more likely to die...

this is a rediculous statement... people who own guns are more likely to die by that gun only because the statistic includes suicides and careless accidents. I am not suicidal or careless, and the chances of me surviving a violent attack or robbery are greatly increased by the fact that I own and know how to use a firearm.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

..my advice to her is- if she can afford a weapon like that she can afford a decent house alarm system linked directly to the police.

When every second counts, the police are only minutes away...

All an alarm system or a dog will do for you is alert you to the intruder. Then what?? Now you KNOW someone is in your house with the intent to do harm to you and your family. The police are still 10 minutes away. (yes I'm an optimist) tick.. tock.. We're getting off topic here.. The question was about carrying on the course, not defending your home.

Well... it's pretty difficult for most people not to drive thier children around... almost impossible in fact. It however is

I see your point on praticality. Well noted.

However, I find the prospect of applying for CCW permit a bit over the top given the odds of actually needing it. Especially, when you are more likely to die from your own weapon. Increasing your likelihood of death in the attempt to thwart a less likely scenario does not make sense.

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid
Eye 2+ (Blue-Dot) 4-PW iWedge 54/60 PAL-2i (Isopur); G2 ZSB Pro V1xHome Course: Rio Salado Golf Club (63.6/101)

They can have my golf clubs and the $20 I have in my pocket.

I tend to agree when it comes to "stuff" nothing is worth getting into a gun fight over. I can't back this up, but my gut feeling is that anyone who takes the time to go out and get a CCW license feels pretty much the same way. If they didn't care about law and order, they would just carry regardless.

this is a rediculous statement... people who own guns are more likely to die by that gun only because the statistic includes suicides and careless accidents.

Your committing a logical hiccup...You can't generalize from aggregate statistics to the individual case. IMHO, over-confidence seems to be a fitting scenario for an accident.

In terms of second comment concerning the odds of surviving a robbery etc...let me ask you... I plane crash is very unlikely, yet the survivability of plane crash is very low... Yet we still fly? Why is it the safest way to travel?

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid
Eye 2+ (Blue-Dot) 4-PW iWedge 54/60 PAL-2i (Isopur); G2 ZSB Pro V1xHome Course: Rio Salado Golf Club (63.6/101)

divot...

LOL...mr. stats man.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

those are situations you cannot control divot. plane crashes, car wrecks, etc.

you can control some assh%le threatening your family. i can control that situation. if that guy approaches you, you crouch and beg for your life or you fight and get shot. regardless, you lose.

that same guy approaches me at least I can say I did something to try and stop it.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

you can control some assh%le threatening your family. i can control that situation.

Back to control...guess I nailed that one, eh?

If you think you can control another random human being's actions...then who am I to debate you?

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid

this thread is red hot!....in all fairness its so sad that this discussion is even taking place-

I can't think of any place I would consider a "safe haven."

There are certainly places I consider safer then others, but no place where I don't feel at least a tiny bit responsible for my own safety and the safety of my family.

If someone wants to shoot me or attack me on a golf course, then so be it. I'll go when it's my time to go, and I'm pretty darn comfortable with that. I'm not carrying a gun while playing golf.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Back to control...guess I nailed that one, eh?

You have a skewed perspective. You are trying to connate a random person's uncontrolable action with the ability to control a scenario. I've been in bad places with bad men. Those actions by those bad men were uncontrolable. My actions brought arms to bare and controled the situation. Use the word control all you want, as it's not a bad term. When you drive, you can't control the asshat next to you. But if he swerves into your lane, you can control your car and get out of his way. You now took control of that situation. You didn't take control of the other party's car, though. No one is saying you can control that random party's actions - but that has no bearing on whether or not you can control the situation. Insofar as your citation is concerned - the odds of being killed by a firearm may be lower than a motor vehicle accident. But no one cares about odds when a loved one is killed. Come to New Orleans where violence (from the non-law abiding sector) is rampant. You can't control the man trying to cut you with a knife while you're out shopping on Magazine Street, but you can damn sure control that situation by employing your sidearm.

In my bag you'll find:

Irons[SIZE="1"] Big Bertha X-Fuision 5 ~ PW (graphite)
Hybrids 3DX Genex 2i (17*) and 4i (23*) (steel)
SW 256.10 Vokey Black Nickle (56* / 10*) (steel)LW 260.4 Vokey oil can (60* / 4*) (steel)Woods G2i (17*) 3w (graphite)Putter 34" Newport Detour

I am against the right to bear (bare?) arms always have been and my opinion will not change regardless of statistics thrown at me (statistics can of course be made to suit any argument), but this is not ignorance, it is my personal opinion.

I have never understood American gun culture, or the 'need' to have a gun some of the participants in this thread have shown. It almost like you have an inferiority complex, my gun is bigger than yours, maybe?. Obviously I have never looked in to this subject so can not comment factually, this is all opinion. Despite what you say England is doing fine thanks without guns the 'rise in gun crimes' you speak of is isolated cases, mainly in city centres with uneducated and unfairly treated minorities, these levels of crimes would only increase if guns became readily available.

I am up for discussion of my opinion, but please do not flame me or try to shout me down as I have said nothing controversial or offensive!.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

If someone wants to shoot me or attack me on a golf course, then so be it. I'll go when it's my time to go, and I'm pretty darn comfortable with that. I'm not carrying a gun while playing golf.

I can respect that..

I'm not so willing to die and leave my wife and kids to fend for themselves so some thief can enjoy my credit cards for a couple of hours. My wife doesn't play golf, but she does like to drive the cart on days when its sunny. I don't think I'll leave her life in the hands of the course marshals.

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!