IGNORED

My Swing (WordRick)

WordRick
Note: This thread is 1175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: about 20 years, started taking it seriously 4 years ago.
My current handicap index or average score is: 12-14 (shoot anywhere from 80 to 90, usually hovering around 85.  Best round is a 78 with a couple 79's and a few 80's thrown in there).
My typical ball flight is: Well it's a fade now, it used to be a terrible slice.  I'm pretty sure I had a nasty over the top move that I've been working on fixing.  

Driver: I've started setting up with a pretty closed stance because that feels like my shoulders are square to the target.  When my driver is on, it's great, but it can start to get a two way miss of either a slice or a straight up pull to the left.  

Irons:  I actually hit my long irons pretty well and if I can't trust the driver I have no problem hitting a 3 or 4 iron off the tee.  I think I have trouble squaring up the club face which results in my ball flight usually going right of my target with a push (or if I come over the top, slice).  

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slice or a Push.

First of all, hello, and I'm super happy to have found this forum and join in on the golf talk.  I started taking golf seriously about 4 years ago (before that playing once or twice a year).  I'm 6'4 with a 6'7 wingspan playing standard length clubs (the club I'm swinging here is actually a lob wedge with a +1 shaft that I mess around with in my side yard).  I've never had a lesson (I definitely need to and am starting soon) and I've probably watched way too many instructional videos on YouTube.  For starters, I do think I need to get fitted for clubs.  I'm what you would call a tinkerer so I'm always messing around with my stance/grip/release pattern/rotation point, you name it.  I've recently done a deep dive into Mike Adams info relating to body type and its relation to how you swing the club.  I have a tendency to get stuck on the downswing with my arms hitting my body through the ball.  Because I don't stop tinkering I don't feel like I have a stock swing I can go back to when I'm struggling.  It's just on to the next swing thought and what I'm trying to do with the ball.  As I said before I think I have trouble squaring the clubface up.  Recently I've been working on kind of a swinging left release to keep the clubface more stable through the hitting zone (feels like over the top to me) but I do feel like I have a tendency to get flippy hitting at the ball (which I feel leads to the inconsistency).  Also been working on keeping the lead wrist straight or bowed at the top with the swing thought of keeping the club face square to the arc through the whole swing (I tend to get long and loopy with a cupped wrist at the top).  My driver used to be a long John Daly'ish swing where I could see the clubface in front of me at the top and then whip it through (which resulted in the slices).  I've shortened that up which has helped.  I'm always looking at pro's swings to emulate which I feel might get me in trouble a little because we don't share the same dimensions.

Please excuse the puppy roaming around and the messy side yard.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Trying to get a more consistent and repeatable swing.    

https://i.imgur.com/XzN7MYX.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/85CgB16.mp4

Edited by WordRick

Welcome to TheSandTrap!  In this section, please embed your videos by uploading to Youtube or Vimeo and posting the link here.  You can find directions here:

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

You'll get good advice, but you really need to use video of you hitting the ball, either at the range or into a net.  Practice swings really aren't that useful.

Again, welcome to TST:beer:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Welcome to TheSandTrap!  In this section, please embed your videos by uploading to Youtube or Vimeo and posting the link here.  You can find directions here:

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

You'll get good advice, but you really need to use video of you hitting the ball, either at the range or into a net.  Practice swings really aren't that useful.

Again, welcome to TST:beer:

Thank you!

I tried to edit my original post but it wouldn't let me once I finally figured it out.

And definitely understood about the ball.  I'll try and get some good videos next time I get out to the range.  I usually hit some foam balls up against the wall in the side yard (that the phone is currently sitting on) but I've definitely caught some flyers and hit them into the community pool (just over the fence in the videos).

Edited by WordRick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (WordRick)
  • Administrator

The ball is important, as is swinging at a normal speed.

If your swing is close to what you posted, you seem like you could be a pretty good player.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!