IGNORED

I need help to get better!

Borf
Note: This thread is 5904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just want to start playing more consistant and lower my scores. Does this mean weight training and stretching, practicing on the range, playing, going to the putting/chipping green? I just want to use my time effectivly, not beating balls on the range, which is a waste of my time. I guess I need to get a plan that works for me.

I need some advice !!
maybe some links on weight training/ streching, I def want to do them more

If your handicap is actaully 3 you should just work on your short game and putting, but most 3 handicappers don't "beat balls on the range". Shop around for a good teaching pro and go from there

In My Bag
Driver: 907 D2 10.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: 906 F4 15.5 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Hybrid: Idea Pro 20 degrees Aldila VS Proto
Irons (3-P): i5Wedges: Vokey 52.8 and Vokey Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Style NewportBall: Pro V1x or NXT Tour

the best practice is playing not practice..to get better you just need to play and develop a scoring mentality...i know lots of people with great techniques but very average handicaps, because their course management is not what it should be as they spend too long beating balls.

To drop those final few strokes off my handicap it took several things.

1. I had to get some type of way to keep my stats (Erik's scorecard program comes to mind) so that I could get a better idea of what needed to improve in my golf game.

2. Once I had a good overall look at my game I practiced those areas I was struggling with a bunch. I mean like 7 days a week at least an hour a day normally more. I believe we talked about it in another thread that becoming and staying at a scratch level takes a great deal of time. If you don't have that time be happy with your 3 handicap.

3. Short game, short game, short game. The two areas where I lacked consistancy were the short game (putting to be exact) and driving the ball. I knew that so I would search for drills online, from pro friends of mine, and from books so that when I went to the range I had a specific idea of what I wanted to accomplish and some drills to help me get there. That way if I only had an hour to practice I could use my time more efficiently. Hitting balls without a plan or a goal is a waste of time. The same goes for practicing your short game or putting. Throwing some balls down on the practice green and hitting them around for 20 minutes is NOT practicing your putting. Chances are you are just ingraining the bad habits that brought you to the putting green in the first place.

So basically take an analytical look at your game before you start practicing then practice smart.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just want to start playing more consistant and lower my scores. Does this mean weight training and stretching, practicing on the range, playing, going to the putting/chipping green? I just want to use my time effectivly, not beating balls on the range, which is a waste of my time. I guess I need to get a plan that works for me.

You have got to be kidding. If you are really a 3 handicap you are in rare company the upper .001% of golfers.

It means working on your entire short game and hitting better "bad shots." I think weight training is a bit overrated, golf is about flexibility and technique, not muscle strength. As I like to point out, Fred Couples is 48 years old, doesn't work out, doesn't really practice that much and is still one of the better ballstrikers on tour and is still in the top 10 in driving distance. Why? Because he's extremely flexible and has good technique. The problem with weight training is that it builds up scar tissue which makes you less flexibile. Now, you can still stretch and stay flexible with weight training, but flexibility is such a paramount to golf, I'd rather see golfers learn towards very light training instead of intense weight training.

3JACK

You have got to be kidding. If you are really a 3 handicap you are in rare company the upper .001% of golfers.

No, no actualy im not kidding, thanks for trying tho, why would i play if i didnt want to try to get better. I think i have room for improvement

I am trying some new things this season: Interlock grip Bending my knees more Keeping my chin up monitoring my thoughts during my pre-shot routine I have been doing some weight lifting/stretching (nothing too intense, just a little each day) some things about my game now: I only practice on the putting green about 10 mins before i play i NEVER go to the range, my practice habits are WEAK! I play about 4-5 times a week in the summer good things about my game: chipping, putting, generally short game I excel at it I hit most fairways, i dont take pentaly strokes off the tee or leave myself in a spot where i can not advance the ball I am a very straight hitter

Ummm Tiger is the best golfer in the world, quite possibly the best there has ever been. That certainly does not stop him from constantly trying to improve. What, someone has to stop trying to get better once they have reached a certain level? I hope you realize that is a stupid statement.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!