IGNORED

Motorized Walking Golf Carts

Note: This thread is 1142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I want to walk more often but hate pushing or carrying my bag.  Yes, I am getting older and I'm not ashamed of it.  LOL.

Looking at the Bag Boys but open to opinions on options.  Issues important to me are:

• Easy to get on and off of a golf cart.  I'll be driving my golf cart to the clubhouse not a car.
  • Reliable
  • Light weight
  • Rugged - I play 4-5 rounds a week
  • Gadgets - i need to hang water, sand etc from the cart.  A seat is nice too.

Seems like this is a small niche market and not many good reviews online.  I want opinions from GOLFERS. 

Thanks all.

• Administrator

Have you looked at these:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/accessories/qod_electric_golf_cart_review

Another member also recently got an MGI Zip or something, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have a wide range of requirements for a potential buy. I know of nothing that is small enough to put in a golf cart easily that has all of the gadgets (and potentially a seat) that you are looking for. Do you play with someone regularly, and also take your golf cart at the same time? If so, I would suggest having them drive, and you walk and have your bag on the cart. I saw this working pretty well for many people at my local course when Covid first kicked into gear. Didn't seem to be a detriment to pace of play, and 1 of the 2 players got the exercise that you are looking for.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Thanks all.  I investigated locally with friends who have a variety of these carts.  Here were the opinions given:

The clubcar shown above was not loved.  Our club has/had one you could rent.  Was OK following you on the open fairway but was difficult to control in tight spots especially crossing a narrow bridge we have.

Stewart - this was very much liked.  But at $2000 seemed a bit high.

Bat-Caddy - liked by several members.  Their high end unit with the larger battery and some add ons is currently about $1300.

Both the Stewart and Bat-Caddy can be folded up and carried on the EZGO golf cart to the clubhouse with the battery not installed.  Open up in the parking lot and put the battery in. 

Based on this I ordered a Bat-Caddy X8R with the larger lithium battery.  I bought the larger battery because the small one takes 600 charges while the larger one 2500.  And I play about 250 times a year expecting to walk about 150 of those.  Yeah, 600 would likely last me 4-5 years or so but $100 more take the pain now.  I will post here my impressions when I get it.

Thanks again.  Hit 'em straight.

• Like 1

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, jimmybcool said:

Based on this I ordered a Bat-Caddy X8R with the larger lithium battery.

Did you consider the QOD? Or the MGI?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did you consider the QOD? Or the MGI?

I didn't find anyone that had one to ask about them.  I saw them for sale online but I liked what I heard about the two I considered and my club is now selling the Bat-Caddy line.  Easy for me to order through them and they will assemble it for me.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, jimmybcool said:

I didn't find anyone that had one to ask about them.  I saw them for sale online but I liked what I heard about the two I considered and my club is now selling the Bat-Caddy line.  Easy for me to order through them and they will assemble it for me.

You asked here, and you got a few links to full reviews or discussions about two carts you didn't even seem to consider.

I guess I just don't understand why you posted here if you weren't going to consider the responses. I get that you asked on Sunday and it wasn't until Wednesday that you got a response, but you could have searched the forum, too.

Apologies.  Yes, I was in the buying mode.  I did a search and failed to find what I was looking for and didn't get a reply until yesterday.  I am new here and didn't know if this was an active board or not and my reviews in person with people sold me. 

Hi @jimmybcool

I looked at a lot of electric "trolleys" before settling on the one I bought. I looked at the BatCaddy X8R but there were several things about it that I did not like . The front wheel does not swivel which means that every time the carts turns left or right the front wheel drags across the ground causing what I though would be excessive wear on the tire.  I also did not like the way the battery was mounted and the wires that connect the battery to the cart looked to me also like they might cause future problems. I also was turned off by the reviews I saw on Amazon. Here's one, for example:

"I purchased this cart a little over a year ago and it has been more trouble than it is worth. Since owning it, I have had to replace the control unit (due to cart taking off on its own), power switch face plate, remote control, and battery carrier, all under warranty. What wasn't covered under warranty has been the front tire which has already worn out, the bracket that holds the rear stabilizer wheels that broke, and the score card holder that broke when the cart tipped. And the cart is very, very prone to tipping on uneven surfaces, which means very often on a golf course. In addition, various screws and bolts have fallen off through normal use and had to be tightened and replaced. I use the cart a lot, but in the end, this is the cart that keeps on giving. Unfortunately it is to Bat Caddy and not to me. Look elsewhere"

I ended up choosing the MGI Zip Navigator for those and other reasons. The lithium battery simply clips onto the cart but is very secure and no additional wires to attach. I can leave the folded up cart in my car and easily detach the battery to bring in the house for charging. The front wheels swivel allowing the cart to rotate 360 degrees in place without wearing the tread off of the front tires. You can read my "review" in the thread quoted by @iacas.

I do hope you'll be happy with your new cart. I really enjoy using mine and it's been a big help for me to be able to walk 18 holes again with trudging along pushing a cart. I hope yours works as well.

• Like 2

Note: This thread is 1142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!