IGNORED

Con-man of the decade...

Note: This thread is 5896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Then I wanted to send in my putter to SC workshop and asked if they could reshaft my 350g head with 34" shaft. They replied saying "NO" and asked me to refer to the website that said 350g is only ideal for 33".

It's very simple. If you were ever to sell your putter, the buyer would assume that at 34" it's a 340g putter. You may not remember to tell him about the wonky weight changes you've made.

The buyer has no such expecation with the newer putters since they're expressly "customizable," but they can reasonably assume on older models.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why is it okay for one to call someone a con-man, but not okay for someone else to call that person stupid when it doesn't make sense :) ?

The term "con man" is a generally accepted descriptive term and denotes a person whose intent is to deceive. The term "stupid" is a pejorative, like "dumb." Pejoratives are insults which most often don't move forward a discussion but, rather, derail it. We can call someone ignorant without calling into question their intelligence by calling them "stupid." I hope this explication is clear to you.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

The term "con man" is a generally accepted descriptive term and denotes a person whose intent is to decept. The term "stupid" is a pejorative, like "dumb." Pejoratives are insults which most often don't move forward a discussion but, rather, derail it. We can call someone ignorant without calling into question their intelligence by calling them "stupid." I hope this explication is clear to you.

I understand the difference, however, calling someone a con-man when it doesn't make since would be an insult. He may think he's a con-man but saying he is the biggest con-man of the decade would be an insult that isn't based on any facts, just opinion.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

I understand the difference, however, calling someone a con-man when it doesn't make since would be an insult. He may think he's a con-man but saying he is the biggest con-man of the decade would be an insult that isn't based on any facts, just opinion.

I agree--calling Mr. Cameron a con-man is kind of ignorant..Its like saying he copied or lied about something-or like a fraud....whereas Mr. Cameron began creating putters in his mother-in-laws basement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotty_Cameron And get this---One of Mr. Cameron's putters that he designed in the basement was used to win the Masters--now that's not a fraud--thats what we call handmade craftsmanship...thats why i have soo much respect for Scotty and what hes done--so saying hes a con-man makes me angry

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

It isn't like george foreman putting his name on a grill to sell it.

Whoa Whoa Whoa.... Lets leave George Foreman and his grills out of this... Hes a great man.

First, that would be "sense," not "since."

Whether one thinks someone is a "con man" or a "con man of the decade" is a matter of degree; one term is not an insult and the other an opinion.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Lets see...

You made a request for a product that didn't exist.
Perhaps, not only you, but hundreds of people made requests for similar products that were not yet created.

Seeing the market and need, designed a putter system for you.

Then you call him a con man.

That just confuses the hell out of me.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Scotty Cameron, the con-man, referred me to his writing on his website when i wanted a 350g Studio Style head on a 34" putter shaft.

How nice of him to point out the obvious.

How smart of you to not listen. I wouldn't pay the money for one of those things unless there was a guarantee on results.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I see your point--but think about something--by buying a Scotty Cameron--you know you're getting quality and craftsmanship--anybody can attest to this one---the finish on a Cameron is world class---When I think of the name scotty Cameron --i can't help but think of quality and something that will last a very very long time...In fact there are pictures on the scotty cameron website that Camerons have withstood forest fires.. If you want to see just how durable Camerons are look at this article and click on the picture to see the rest of the pictures...Its just amazing what Scotty does...Maybe this will change your mind.... http://scottycameronblog.com/2007/10...-ashesrebirth/

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

While much of what is written on the Cameron website is marketing propaganda, material

most appropriate for a website promoting Cameron's putters, the material to which you refer is not obvious to everyone. Actually, some of us might, at some point in our golf education, find it interesting and/or useful. There is nothing obvious about it to the average golfer. As for whether or not it should come with a guarantee: if you drop a wad of change on a Bentley, you won't become a better driver; likewise, if you buy a Honama driver with an exotic shaft, just because it is expensive, it won't correct a flawed swing. Why would you even suggest that a putter, much less any club, can guarantee what only the movement of your body can produce? Now, if Mr. Cameron did guarantee that his putter would correct flaws in your putting stroke that only practice and effort could really correct, well, then, you might say he would be a..................... con man.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

First, that would be "sense," not "since."

You're impossible.

I may be misunderstanding you, but from what I am reading this is what I am getting. It's okay for me to say Shortgame85 is not very smart. But I can't say Shortgame85 is a stupid.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

While much of what is written on the Cameron website is marketing propaganda, material

Says Who? Mr. Cameron also makes a heavier putter due to his mill work with 330 Stainless Steel say 350 grams..Heavier putters do make you make better contact with the ball for most people...Likewise Mr. Cameron is no propoganda agent...On Cameron's website he tells what is exactly going into and out of the putter line....Also--when paying more for a better product like a Cameron Putter...the putter tends to last longer because of better materials and craftsmanship...buying one quality putter over buying several inferior products is a better investment in the long run

You're impossible.

It is my sincerest hope that your mother taught you what is OK and not OK to say and, given what I read from your original post, taught you, as well, the definition of libel ( OK, let's assume she didn't: it means written or printed words which maliciously or damagingly misrepresent ).

Allow me to make this even more simple for you: all I said, in a previous post, was to refrain from calling people names. Surely we can all communicate, even when expressing strong opinions, without resorting to name calling. Oh, and by the way, refrences to sexual orientation are of no real use, here, and really reflect a pretty immature approach to discussion.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Says Who?

I do. Besides, I think you have either misread or misunderstood what I wrote.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Says Who? Mr. Cameron also makes a heavier putter due to his mill work with 330 Stainless Steel say 350 grams..Heavier putters do make you make better contact with the ball for most people...Likewise Mr. Cameron is no propoganda agent...On Cameron's website he tells what is exactly going into and out of the putter line....Also--when paying more for a better product like a Cameron Putter...the putter tends to last longer because of better materials and craftsmanship...buying one quality putter over buying several inferior products is a better investment in the long run

Don't get carried away. There are many other putter makers who are just as good or better than Scotty Cameron. Some are cheaper, some are not.

Cameron is the best at marketing his putters though. That's undeniable.

In the
AMP Cart Bag

I don't think that there is any other putter on the market that can withstand this..

You do realize he pays them to play them don't ya?

I like Cameron putters too, but you need to check out some others if you think his are best bar none. Check out TP Mills, Slighter, Byron Morgan............the list goes on and on.

In the
AMP Cart Bag

You do realize he pays them to play them don't ya?

He doesnt pay all of them...Explain to me why Mike Weir, Tim Herron, and a lot of Tour pros with other equipment sponsor contracts keep trying putters out again and again and keep coming back to a Scotty--theyre just quality putters-thats the reason theyre popular

I seem to recall an article in Golf Magazine two years ago saying that the Odyssey 2-ball was the hottest thing going..

They come and they go...

I've sank more then one birdie with my $20 Wal-Mart putter, and hope to sink many many more before I "upgrade."

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Note: This thread is 5896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!