IGNORED

Con-man of the decade...

Note: This thread is 5896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Scotty Cameron, the con-man, referred me to his writing on his website when i wanted a 350g Studio Style head on a 34" putter shaft.

"Through our Studio findings we have determined the optimal relationship between shaft length, head weight and shaft flex.

So, if you shorten your putter you will lose head weight and shaft flex. Conversely, if you lengthen your putter you will increase head swing weight and shaft flex. This will affect performance in many different areas, aim, path, ball performance and even sound and feel of the putter.

Length of the putter dictates what head weight should be used. We know that length determines lie, lie determines path, which determines eye position, which determines aim. Length and weight also effects shaft flex, sound, tempo and timing.

If a putter is too heavy it affects transition, tempo and timing. If a putter is too light, it also affects transition, tempo and timing.

Simply put, we build putters that perform."

Now he comes up with Studio Select?? What a hypocrite! I always knew he was so overrated and used his name to sell putters but this one is disappointing. By the way, I put a shaft extension onto my 350g Studio Style (less than $5) and it is working better than ever.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Scotty Cameron, the con-man, referred me to his writing on his website when i wanted a 350g Studio Style head on a 34" putter shaft.

Studio Select's changeable weights are meant to back up this statement. If you want to shorten or lengthen your club(maybe you got it second-hand) you can add or decrease weight to keep it consistent. It isn't a 'con.' Also, they are not 'overrated.' And also, since all Scotty Cameron does is make putters, the fact that putters with his name are held in high esteem is due purely to the fact that they are quality putters. It isn't like george foreman putting his name on a grill to sell it.

Often over priced.. yes, but many new putters are.

A con-man? Meh, I don't really think so... maybe arrogant, but then again.. he does have a huge population of the golfing world (including 100's of PGA tour players) using his putters and requesting custom designs and the whole 9 yards.

But yeah, messing around with the length of your shaft isn't going to hurt you. I have seen many stock Cameron putters come in different lengths. And they are the same style putters, not the new weighted ones either. It's sort of like swinging an axe: when the axe handle is short you get a totally different feeling than when the handle is long. You can feel the head a bit better with a longer shaft.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

If that is the case -time to change brand of putters?

In my Sun Mountain 3.5 light stand bag:

Driver: Burner (10.5 degree)
Hybrids: 3DX DC (17 degree)
Irons: Taylormade R7 (4-AW)SW: Vokey Spin Milled (56 degree)Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (coming soon)Balls: Pro V1 and NXT Tour

If he is such a con man then you are pretty stupid for using his putters.

In the bag:

driver Big Ben CS3 9.5º
3-wood 906F4 15.5º
hybrid rescue mid 19ºirons: MP-60 3-PWwedges vokey spin-milled 54º and 60ºputter tracy IIball Pro V1

Yes, I realized he was a con man after I bought his product. After purchasing I wanted to send in my putter to his workshop to see if he can reshaft to a 34" shaft and that above statement was the reply I got from his work shop.

You buy a Toyota thinking that it's a good car and find out they do not provide the service that other car makers do provide. So do you throw the car away? I have the car already in possession so I will have to use it for now no? Of course the next car won't be a Toyota. That's all but I will use what I possess since I already have it in my garage and make my own modifications. I think your statement is stupid. Please write more intelligent and constructive debate.
Driver

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

Mr. Cameron is hardly a con man. A con man is someone who tries to sell you something that isn't correct or true ( i.e., the car salesman who tells you the car you are buying is new, when, indeed, it is not; or the golf club salesman who tells a novice he can buy a game; or the stockbroker who tells an elderly person that a hedge fund is just right for their needs and carries little risk, etc. ).

Mr. Cameron, on the other hand, is either a brilliant marketing man who oversees a very fine production company or, a very fine manager of a fine production company which is a part of a large company, Acushnet, which employs a brilliant marketing team. He is a smart designer who has taken classic designs, such as the anser, and made them his own ( i.e., Newport 2 ). The product his shop produces is by all accounts, including my own, very fine and very appropriate for its intended purpose.

Now, there are people who pay huge sums of money for limited edition Cameron putters, tour putters and other assorted Cameron related merchandise. Mr. Cameron does not represent to any of the people who buy these products that they are intended for anything other than playing golf and he does not suggest that these products will increase in value. The fact that there is a large and lucrative market for these products suggests that not only are there people willing to part with lots of money for something they believe has more of an intrinsic, rather than practical value, but that, perhaps, P.T. Barnum was right after all.

All of this does not a con man make of Scotty Cameron. It does suggest, however, that brilliant marketing, backed by quality production, sells a product quite nicely.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Please make your point without calling people names. Thanks.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I have to admit, i have never even contemplated Scotty Cameron and con man in the same phrase! How odd. I think he would be more of a con man if he didn't stick to his guns and was happy to reverse everything he believes in because one person doesn't like a putter he has made!

When someone like Tiger Woods, who could use ANY putter in the world wins 13 majors with a Cameron putter then perhaps you should realise his putters are actually ok.

What Scotty Cameron is trying to tell you is that, IN HIS VIEW, changing shaft length, or having to heavy a putter head on a shorter shaft will compromise performance. I am sure after decades and millions of dollars of research into this, he is in a position to comment on this without being called a con man.

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

the older Scotty Cameron putters, in particular the copper inserted ones, are making incredible amounts of money on ebay..they are popular due to their quality.

people forget that spending a few hundred dollars on a putter will not necessarily make you a better player.

I also don't see what his 'con' is

Me neither, he is a retailer surely it is his duty to exploit and take advantage of every opportunity to increase revenue/sales/income, nothing a 'con' about that, he is just doing his job.

In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

Please make your point without calling people names. Thanks.

Why is it okay for one to call someone a con-man, but not okay for someone else to call that person stupid when it doesn't make sense :) ?

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

I have to admit, i have never even contemplated Scotty Cameron and con man in the same phrase! How odd. I think he would be more of a con man if he didn't stick to his guns and was happy to reverse everything he believes in because one person doesn't like a putter he has made!

I am not saying SC putters are bad. They are good. But I am saying that he is eating his own words.

Let me give the exact details since some of you don't really don't understand my situation as to why I am calling him a hypocrite. I bought my SC Studio Style when it was released. 33" with 350g. Then I wanted to send in my putter to SC workshop and asked if they could reshaft my 350g head with 34" shaft. They replied saying "NO" and asked me to refer to the website that said 350g is only ideal for 33". Then now he came up with SC Studio Design. Factory setting for 33" = 360g, 34" = 350g, 35" = 340g. If this is the case why did they reject to reshaft my 350g on a 34" shaft? Plus now you can buy extra weights to make a 34" into whatever weight we want to so isn't this going against his words in my particular case? That is all I am trying to point out.
Driver

Woods

Don't worry hyper... I think everyone understands what you are trying to point out. People just don't like it when you call him a con-man is all because they think they know him just because they own one of his factory built putters. You probably could have chosen a better word than con-man though. It was pretty ridiculous for them to email you back saying "no"... since you are the customer and all. But that is where the arogancy around Cameron putters comes into play. If you want to have it reshafted and they won't do it than just have it done through someone else. If I bought a 33" Cameron because I loved the head design and then wanted to have it reshafted because I am 6'1 and am hunched over using the 33" than I would just get it reshafted. Putting is a mind game anyway. Just because your $300 or $400 putter gets a new shaft in it doesn't mean that you will stop putting well, so yeah.. don't worry about it.

And just try to realize that Cameron putters see themselves at the top of the food chain and they are always right, not the customer. They will usually do anything for you with a smile on their faces if you are willing to pay.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

Don't worry hyper... I think everyone understands what you are trying to point out. People just don't like it when you call him a con-man is all because they think they know him just because they own one of his factory built putters. You probably could have chosen a better word than con-man though. It was pretty ridiculous for them to email you back saying "no"... since you are the customer and all. But that is where the arogancy around Cameron putters comes into play. If you want to have it reshafted and they won't do it than just have it done through someone else. If I bought a 33" Cameron because I loved the head design and then wanted to have it reshafted because I am 6'1 and am hunched over using the 33" than I would just get it reshafted. Putting is a mind game anyway. Just because your $300 or $400 putter gets a new shaft in it doesn't mean that you will stop putting well, so yeah.. don't worry about it.

I don't think anyone thinks that at all. I for one know I don't.

I for one think it's wrong that he wouldn't reshaft the putter, but I think con-man is the wrong word and a rather harsh word to put on it, that's all.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

The only con-man of the decade is the really big golf club maker. Instead of lessons and practice, they gave us golfers what we really needed - a sweet spot the size of a compact car. So now instead of slicing the ball 200 yards into the woods, we now slice it 300 yards into the woods. Although we still can't hit the side of a barn, we can at least swing one.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

You can't hate on Scotty Cameron. This guy has paid his dues..If anyone knows about craftsmanship its Mr. Cameron. I believe he was the guy that started creating putters in his garage...He started out small and worked his way to the top like a true champion. The guy is such a hardworker.. Its guys like Scotty Cameron that itched fought and scratched their way from very little to the top of the business-you have to respect a guy like that who could craft his own putters and compete with corporate juggernauts like odyssey..

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Note: This thread is 5896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!