IGNORED

Quality ball +Quality Clubs = butter soft launches!

DirtCheap
Note:Β This thread is 5898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I am a believer!!

For so long I heard people say "I can hit those cheap balls into the water as well as I can hit the expensive ones."
I bought into that for a long time..

Until today........

I took my brand new MX-19s out today for the first time.
I had a really good mixed bag of balls, which included some Callaways, Nike, Titleist, MaxFli, and some called TiTech.

I used the more expensive balls for the most part until it came to water. Thats when I would pull out a cheap ball..

Holy Stromboli!!

Here's what I learned. With cheap clubs, all balls feel about the same. (Im speaking of club feedback here) With quality clubs, good balls feel like good balls and cheap balls feel like granite.

After hitting a couple of cheap balls over water, I actually noticed myself flinching because I knew I was going to get my fillings rattled by the feedback coming through my club handle. Because I was flinching, my balls either landed way off in the south 40, or in the water.

So to bottom line it..
As of today, I am changing my signature. I will no longer buy balls just because they are on sale. From now on it's quality balls only!!
I may still keep a few cheapies around for those times when I know a water drop is inevitable, but with my new clubs, I think those times are going to be rare.

On my tombstone: "IfΒ this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Β 

There is a good balance between $$ and quality of golf ball. Although I don't spend a ton of cash on golf balls...I do stay clear of the cheap ones...and go with those that work for me.

Interesting side note...I was at a TPC course (TPC Deere Run) and took clients so I bought some Nike One Plantinum. Holy cow...the spin on these was huge. I was able to stick the greens...but my driver speed couldn't quite overcome the spin of the ball off hte driver.

My goal this year is to find the ball that allows me the most distance for my swing speed and enough spin for the greens I play. The NXT tour was my ball of choice last year, we'll see what is in store for this year...if it ever stops SNOWING in Chicago!!!!
Je joue au golf, et j'aime ca.
-------------------------------------
Nike SasQuatch Sumo2
HaLo 2i & 3i
3100 I/H 5-GW588 Gunmetal 53/56/60White Hot XG #2Vector BagProV1x

Really! All balls - Top Flite Strata, Titleist NXT, whatever - feel the same to me off my irons. I love the irons, but this may explain why. Meanwhile, there's a difference in feel for me when hitting wedges, hybrids, and woods for different balls.

My Mizunos are less than two months away! Soon I'll know exactly what you mean.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ehh, as long as I'm not playing some ball with a rock core, and a titanium cover, I can't tell the difference in feel unless it's a mishit.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8Β°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54Β° and 58Β°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

This is the beauty of finding yourself alone on the golf course. You can drop a couple of different balls and practice. On Thursday, I was fortunate that no one was out there. I hit the new DT Roll/Carry, NXT Tour, ProV1 and Callaway Hot. The Carry and Hot responded best with the driver and Hybrids. The Tour was money with the short irons. The Tour and Carry/Roll were really good around the greens.

All of these balls are inexpensive. (Purchasing them used, high grade) I wished I was good enough to use the ProV series. I actually used them on Par 3s. Really soft but I know that I'm not good enough and confident enough to control them with the driver.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

NCM! Looks REAL good bro!

Belmont?????

Thanks for the NCM.....your wife agrees :)

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8Β°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54Β° and 58Β°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Maybe youll say the same thing if you try a new driver and then you'll want to get a new one of those too :P Thats good to hear a testamonial about this type of thing. I never really did beleive it either because I don't have good irons yet. But once i get them. I'll be a beleiver.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5Β°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15Β°
5 Wood: r7 19Β° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60Β°Wedge: Z TP 54Β°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I have to agree with you...Mizunos+ Pro v1's equal money....another intersting thing that i heard was that callaway hx tour golf balls were made of the same material found in odyssey white hot putters...anyone hear about this...But ive hit hx balls with a white hot putter and can tell you that that is very very close to butter

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Great to hear you became a believer... just remember that there are cheaper quality balls around... I am switching over to the prov1s (I play the mizuno 67s now) but I am finishin off my left over balls (Maxfli Revolutions and old NXT tours) and the Maxfli's are very cheap but still nice to hit. They just get scuffed up really fast. They are 20 bucks for a double dozen. check them out. http://www.golfsmith.com/products/242514

also, you can buy like 3-4 dozen off ebay for cheaper, much cheaper. good luck!

Great to hear you became a believer... just remember that there are cheaper quality balls around... I am switching over to the prov1s (I play the mizuno 67s now) but I am finishin off my left over balls (Maxfli Revolutions and old NXT tours) and the Maxfli's are very cheap but still nice to hit. They just get scuffed up really fast. They are 20 bucks for a double dozen. check them out.

I have been going back and forth from the Maxfli and the e5+ and the Maxfli is a great ball for the money (I like the e5+ better though). Nothing is better than hitting a ProV1 or 330 type ball on the money, especially with the short shots.

Now that DirtCheap has seen the light, he will be a changed man forever. Welcome to the darkside (or are we the good guys?).

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

I'm about to play my first round this weekend with urethane-cover balls (just trying something different). We'll see how those feel.

your sig says you regularly play bridgesone e5+. You are aware that is a urethane ball right?

Note:Β This thread is 5898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!