IGNORED

Is this possible

Note: This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am wondering if it would be possible to with my old vokey (tour chrome finish), to make the club an oil can/rusty finish. I really want to rust it and it is very old and rusts on the sole and some of the face but I want it more even.
Is this possible to do yourself.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

You could try sticking it in a bucket of water for a while and then let it dry. I know a long time ago my dad bought a Cobra Rusty wedge, which had a raw finish. The directions said to put in in water then let it dry in air and it would rust. It worked for that wedge I know.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Hey--Check this article out--Best Wishes

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/b.../mike_stachura

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I am wondering if it would be possible to with my old vokey (tour chrome finish), to make the club an oil can/rusty finish. I really want to rust it and it is very old and rusts on the sole and some of the face but I want it more even.

You would have to remove the chrome finish. I ground the sole of my lob wedge (Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl) down to lower the bounce and now that the chrome layer is gone it rusts. You could do it with a belt sander if you really wanted to, but bead blasting would probably be the way to go.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Yeah I have grinded down the sole as well and this is why the sole of it rusts, and parts of the face that are very worn down. Thanks for all the other aticles too.
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

What exactly does rusting your wedge accomplish?

In my Stand Bag
Driver- 905T 9.5* w/ Aldila NV Stiff
3-Wood- 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Irons 3-PW- 704 CB w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges- CG10 52* Vokey 56* Oil Can Spin Milled Vokey 60* Oil Can Spin MilledPutter- Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Ball- Prov1 (Or any nice soft...

Yeah I have grinded down the sole as well and this is why the sole of it rusts, and parts of the face that are very worn down. Thanks for all the other aticles too.

no problem---i actually grinded my old chrome vokey all the way down and let it rust..Some of my grooves rust as well because of the wear

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

From what I've read you need to strip the chrome finish off first using chemical (acid) something, but it's gonna be messy and you're gonna lose a couple of grams of head weight. Afterwards, I think you need to heat (or flame I'm not sure) the stripped head then while it's hot you dip it into some kind of oil (regular motor oil perhaps?). There you go, your own DIY Oil Can finish.

To save your precious time, just buy a new one with oil can finish.

If you want to raw it just like mine, which is very very appealing (imagine the color of raw steel) to me, I coked it overnight then brushed it off with dish washing liquid soap and the green side of scotch brite.

To rust it, simply dip the raw version into salt water for a moment then pick it up, but don't brush the excess water off. Just let it be. The rust will develop overnight.

To get raw finish back, simply brushed it off with dish washing liquid soap and scrub it with steel wool or green side of scotch brite.

I'm sorry this post takes too long. I got excited LOL

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

From what I've read you need to strip the chrome finish off first using chemical (acid) something, but it's gonna be messy and you're gonna lose a couple of grams of head weight. Afterwards, I think you need to heat (or flame I'm not sure) the stripped head then while it's hot you dip it into some kind of oil (regular motor oil perhaps?). There you go, your own DIY Oil Can finish.

Yes I know how to rust raw wedges I just did a friends one.

But mine is not raw, and I don't have a spare $100 lieing around anywhere. I just wanted to try it with this one as I am getting a new one sometimes soon anyway

Here are some pics of my current wedge, before and after I tried to rust it. It is to uneven on the face.

What exactly does rusting your wedge accomplish?

Well, I personally prefer the look of a rusty club, like an oil can, but I didn't know much about golf when I bought my tour chrome.

Also, I think they feel a bit softer and spin a tiny bit more when they are clean. Thats why

no problem---i actually grinded my old chrome vokey all the way down and let it rust..Some of my grooves rust as well because of the wear

Is it not against the rules of golf to alter the head of a club? I may be wrong....

Rule 4-1 (Clubs) Apendix II (Design of clubs)

• Administrator
Is it not against the rules of golf to alter the head of a club? I may be wrong....

So long as the clubhead still conforms to the rules, you're fine. You can't do it DURING a round, but I doubt these guys have lathes and grinders and whatnot in their stand bags.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a friend rust his Vokeys with a wet rag that her wrapped around the clubfaces. He put table salt all over the face and then wrapped it in the wet cloth, leaving it overnight. It was pretty rusty in the morning.

So long as the clubhead still conforms to the rules, you're fine. You can't do it DURING a round, but I doubt these guys have lathes and grinders and whatnot in their stand bags.

No lathe or grinder...but I probably have some duck tape in there somewhere

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I've heard if you soke a club in it's raw state in Coke overnight it will rust it pretty bad.

You gotta get the chrome off though to get the rust look.

Are you going for the rust look or oil can look? They are not the same.

If you want the oil can look, you have to get the chrome off, get it clean and polish it really well. Then just heat it with a propane torch till it's red, and dip it in some kind of oil, like motor oil.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Note: This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!