IGNORED

? re Qualifying as a Dependent

Eph610Power
Note: This thread is 5871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Daughter graduated from college last spring. IRS instructions regarding qualifying as a dependent note that the child must have been in full time student status for part of five months of the year. I'm ok there, graduation wasn't until May 13.

However, child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. My daughter moved into her own apartment (paid for by me) on July 1. That's six months with us, six months on her own. What's the call on that? Do I have to figure if there were more days in the first six months of the year (February will probably screw me), do I rationalize that she didn't move "out" until noon on July 1, thus getting the "more than half the year" by a matter of hours? Do I rationalize that she was in the process of moving for several days and thus wasn't technically out of the house prior to July 1? Other ways of looking at this?

My guess (I'm no accountant):

There is no way they would want to take it down to the hour. At most, they would look at the day but not the actual number of days (28 in Feb. , 31 in March, etc). However, they may just ask for a month range that she lived with you guys (January to July).

All that being said, I think you should contact a tax professional (CPA for example) and just ask them this question over the phone. I'm sure they could give you an answer without wanting you to come in.

i would pay the irs out of patriotic duty, pay even more than is your legal requirement, we are doing such wonderful things with the money spreading democracy around the world which isn't cheap,

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

i would pay the irs out of patriotic duty, pay even more than is your legal requirement, we are doing such wonderful things with the money spreading democracy around the world which isn't cheap,

I got the image of Peter Griffin of Family Guy prancing around his kitchen singing Hail to the Chief when I read that.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Note: This thread is 5871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!