IGNORED

TM Burner Vs Callaway FT-5

Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. TM Burner VS Callaway FT-5

• Burner
    • FT-5

My FT-i went missing this weekend and I am shopping around for a new driver. Value your opinion on the pros/cons. I like them both.

In my Sun Mountain 3.5 light stand bag:

Driver: Burner (10.5 degree)
Hybrids: 3DX DC (17 degree)
Irons: Taylormade R7 (4-AW)SW: Vokey Spin Milled (56 degree)Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (coming soon)Balls: Pro V1 and NXT Tour

I really like the FT-5 the best out of the two..I want to recommend you the Cobra F-Speed LD Driver--i think its longer and more forgiving than the two above...Best Wishes

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Thanks R7 425 - hardto find Cobra in NZ. Will try to demo. Cheers

Irons: Taylormade R7 (4-AW)SW: Vokey Spin Milled (56 degree)Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (coming soon)Balls: Pro V1 and NXT Tour

Thanks R7 425 - hardto find Cobra in NZ. Will try to demo. Cheers

No problem--remember to try different shafts with different torques--it will help your search for the perfect driver even more.

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Shaft is the big key anymore. But I feel that a club that sets up well at address is huge as well. I like both of those clubs for that characteristic. I don't think you would go wrong either way. If I were making the purchase I might buy the FT5 in the tour model because of the non-closed face.

Thanks Doctorfro.

I chose Burner but it would be better if you reshaft. FT5 is great too... Head wise both pretty equal with a slight edge to Burner but more shaft choices with FT5 I think. Can't go wrong with both.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

just remember with the FT-5's the ones with .5* lofts (8.5, 9.5, 10.5) are setup either slightly open or square (can't remember) while the even lofts (8.0, 9.0, 10.0) are setup closed... so they will perform differently. The ones in .5* are actually the tour models.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

As a longtime player of both Callaway and TM fairway woods... your answer is Mizuno. Nothing I've hit off the deck has compared to the Mizuno 3 wood I was demoing last summer.

Would Mizuno be better suited for low handicappers? Thoughts.

I recently purchased the Burner TP and chose it over the Callaway FT-5. I was fitted using a launch monitor and admittedly, my spin rate and carry distance measured a bit better with the FT-5; however, I did not strike the ball as well as I did with the Burner TP.

I have played four rounds and have been impressed with the increased distance over my old Titleist 983k and ball flight (much lower than before). As an example, into a dead 1-2 club head wind, I flew my driver 280 into a bunker. That never would have happened with my 983k.

Many suggest reshafting the Burner but I am hesitant. I do however recommend an easy swing. When I try to "kill" it and my timing is off, I will duck-hook the ball which may not happen if I had a stiffer shaft. That said, I do have the stock stiff flex shaft. Now, I could reshaft or just learn to swing with better tempo. I will go with the latter.

Would the FT-5 perform as well? I dunno, but like I said, using the simulator my numbers were better with the FT-5 but my contact was more consistent with the Burner TP.
Driver : Burner TP, 9.5, ReAx 50g Stiff flex
Fairway 906F2, 15, V2 85-S flex
Hybrid Rescue TP, 21, ReAx Stiff flex
4-PW X-Forged, Project X Flighted Rifle, 5.0
AW 52, 11 bounce, X-Forged, Project X Flighted Rifle, 5.5SW 56, 13 bounce, X-Forged, Project X Flighted Rifle, 5.5LW 60, 9 bounce,...

ive only hit the burner but the ball just seems to fly off the face, but i have heard a lot of good things about the FT5. Ive always heard that thouhg the burner is a very straight driver

In My Bag:
Driver-G10 10.5 pro launch blue
3 wood-Burner TP 14.5
2i-hibore hybrid 19 stiff
irons-J33bWedges-:54 vokeyFEEL wedge company 60putter- white hot xg #1ball-pro v1

Mizuno? Which one MP-560 or 600? Thanks

Burner.... Goes further, straighter, higher, better feel and sound, more forgiving

And costs $200 less!!!
Easy choice (for me atleast)
Also, I hate the Ft-5.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

I have played with guys that use both of these and from what I've seen it's hard to go wrong with either.

The guy using the Burner has one of the worst swings I've ever seen - he can't hit his X-18 irons straight for anything and hits the 5 iron maybe 140 yards. But, with that burner he hits a high, straight shot that seems to carry forever. The guy with the FT-5 normally hits a huge slice, but with his Ft-5 is the draw weighted tour version and he hits it 240-250 yards with a moderate draw. I've hit it a few times and the draw version hooks pretty badly for me (I normally hit a pretty straight shot with my driver with a little fade). Only problem I have with this club is the sound...it's pretty obnoxious. If I were getting a new driver today and cost was no concern, I'd get the FT-5 Tour in neutral and hope that I could get past the sound, but the Burner is cheaper and is very impressive, especially if you have a slower swing speed.
As a longtime player of both Callaway and TM fairway woods... your answer is Mizuno. Nothing I've hit off the deck has compared to the Mizuno 3 wood I was demoing last summer.

I agree with the statement about the 3 wood. I just recently bought mine and it's already my favorite club in my bag. I'd like to hit the MP-600 driver to see if it feels as nice.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Burner.... Goes further, straighter, higher, better feel and sound, more forgiving

You took the words right out of my mouth. I hated the FT-5, I love the Burner.

I also liked the Hi-bore XL, great club for $199.

I want to pound the MEATHEAD & The METROSEXUAL from the Slazenger RAW commercial..

Mizuno? Which one MP-560 or 600? Thanks

The MP-600 is for better players. The MX-560 is more forgiving and has a higher MOI. I like my FT-5, it's long and straight. A couple negatives are the weird callaway hosel and the closed face. The tour model looks better but I ended up buying the regular model (don't know why). The new tour burner looks sweet though and I want to try that soon.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Note: This thread is 5874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!