IGNORED

Questions From Torrey on Sunday

RickAltman59
Note: This thread is 1050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The final round of the U.S. Open was fascinating, and I have several questions about things that I (think I) saw:

1. When Mackenzie Hughes hit his 11th hole tee shot into a tree, how much time did he have to "look for" his ball? Asked another way, what would have happened if the ball had suddenly fallen from the tree? I suspect that once Hughes declares the ball unplayable, then it doesn't matter. But several minutes went by when everyone tried to identify the ball, he was asking questions of an official, and they were discussing where to drop from. What would have happened if, in the midst of all of that, the ball had just fallen to the ground?

2. During Bryson Dechambeau's 13th hole meltdown, was I hallucinating or was he playing some sort of hybrid from the bunker in front of the green?

3. Why was Jon Rahm warming up while waiting for Louis Oosthuizen to finish? Either Rahm wins, he loses, or they come back the following day for a playoff. Is that not still the playoff custom for the U.S. Open.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to address one of these burning questions...

Rick A.
Pleasanton CA   

5 hours ago, RickAltman59 said:

The final round of the U.S. Open was fascinating, and I have several questions about things that I (think I) saw:

1. When Mackenzie Hughes hit his 11th hole tee shot into a tree, how much time did he have to "look for" his ball? Asked another way, what would have happened if the ball had suddenly fallen from the tree? I suspect that once Hughes declares the ball unplayable, then it doesn't matter. But several minutes went by when everyone tried to identify the ball, he was asking questions of an official, and they were discussing where to drop from. What would have happened if, in the midst of all of that, the ball had just fallen to the ground?

2. During Bryson Dechambeau's 13th hole meltdown, was I hallucinating or was he playing some sort of hybrid from the bunker in front of the green?

3. Why was Jon Rahm warming up while waiting for Louis Oosthuizen to finish? Either Rahm wins, he loses, or they come back the following day for a playoff. Is that not still the playoff custom for the U.S. Open.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to address one of these burning questions...

Rick A.
Pleasanton CA   

1. If they can positively identify the ball, then it’s not lost. For example, if he can see his markings, then he can say it’s his. Also, if the crowd saw it perch there, then it is identifiable. 

2. I missed this one.
  3. They changed the tiebreaker to an aggregate of two holes. So Rahm had to stay warm.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
  1. 3 minutes to find it, then if it falls out after he finds it, he can play it from there assuming it fell out naturally.
  2. No idea.
  3. Two hole playoff.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!