IGNORED

OWGR - 2022 Revisions

StuM

I hope it is OK to start this as a new thread, I saw several very old threads talking about past changes in the OWGR and past Bias in OWGR and just could not decide which was best to add this onto.  If a moderator feels it should be linked to a prior thread, go for it.

Anyway, it looks like they are revising the OWGR again.  Main change appears to be ranking points assigned to all who make the cut at a tournament so adds some more value to a player making the cut.  The other change discussed deals with strength of field but I thought that was in the current OWGR in some form so that may just be a tweak.  What I would like to see, but did not, was a "Back Test" showing how the rankings under revisions would compare to the rankings under the current system.  I can't tell if this will be a major change or not.  How would it have impacted the top 10, 20, 50, 100 over the past few years would have been nice to see.

b9a83439b230bb68c5d26b8edcfbc0cb

A three-year analysis involved nearly a dozen academics, mathematicians, statisticians and sports analytical experts.

Edited by StuM
Corrected typo "top 10, 20,50,100" instead of "to 10, 20, 50, 100"
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• StuM changed the title to OWGR - 2022 Revisions
  • StuM changed the title to Owgr - 2022 Revisions
  • Administrator

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• iacas changed the title to OWGR - 2022 Revisions
14 hours ago, iacas said:

Slide 8 is the closesest to showing the impact of the change with an estimate of no change to the top 10 and maybe 2-5 changes in the top 50.  Still, I would think they could have easily back-tested over the past 2 years and show a comparison of the pre and post change.

Stuart M.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Jon Rahm's whining isn't quite on point…

1421309807.jpg?w=640

Justin Harding earned more ranking points for second at the 2019 Magical Kenya Open than he did for a T-12 at the Masters.

The system introduced this summer ended institutional bias and endemic false accounting. Every player contributes points to a total that is disbursed by percentage. The winner of the RSM Classic is projected to receive 37 points, or 17.2% of the 215 total points available. The winner in Dubai should get 21.8, or 18.2% of the 121 points on offer.

“The current method recognizes that every player contributes to the strength of a field,” said Mark Broadie, the Columbia Business School professor who devised the algorithm. “The winner of the DP World Tour Championship has to beat 49 players, with 34 of those players ranked in the top 200. The winner of the RSM classic has to beat 155 players, with 68 of those players ranked in the top 200, a considerably tougher challenge.”

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets