Jump to content
IGNORED

Hybrid vs Fairway Wood


Recommended Posts

I generally make center of face contact with my hybrids/irons/wedges, however as clubs get longer my consistency wanders. My 7 wood is 26*, what can I expect distance wise if I switch it out for a 22* hybrid? Swing speed is probably around 80 or less with these clubs, I use senior flex shafts. Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • iacas changed the title to Hybrid vs Fairway Wood

Your average 7 wood should be about 21 degrees of loft so 26 deg for a 7 wood seems like a lot.  You may pick up a little more distance with a fairway wood compared to your hybrid due to the added shaft length but it could be minimal.  I would hit them both side by side if you have the chance.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


27 minutes ago, TL308 said:

Your average 7 wood should be about 21 degrees of loft so 26 deg for a 7 wood seems like a lot.  You may pick up a little more distance with a fairway wood compared to your hybrid due to the added shaft length but it could be minimal.  I would hit them both side by side if you have the chance.  

Therein lies my conundrum. Longer shafts, while they are without a doubt longer due to increased ARC length contribute to my off center strikes. Perhaps the real question is how much loft compensates for less shaft length.

      Y?   ??            ?   Q?    ??        Y ?   Y. Y  YY      C  C   CB  CVM

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Moderator

My 5 wood is 18 degrees and my 3H is 21. The 5 wood is longer off the tee, 190-200, than the 3H, but the hybrid is higher launching and a bit more versatile. 180-190 for yards,  it I can do partial shots with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to play a 3 hybrid but I just found it not to be fitting a gap I needed.  I was looking for a 220-225 club and my 18 deg 5 wood does the perfect job.  I prefer a shorter (42") shaft in the 5 wood so you may want to play around with some shorter shaft lengths in the fairway wood options.  Going with a slightly shorter shaft will not cost you any speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 9/24/2021 at 7:14 PM, TL308 said:

Going with a slightly shorter shaft will not cost you any speed.

This is misinformation. The head speed is fairly proportional to club length. There is a reason why Bryson was toying with very long drivers, and it's the same reason that a 7i head speed is less than driver head speed from the same golfer.

You are completely right to be worried about distance loss when going with something shorter, and decreasing loft is a potential answer. The only way to know what your distance will be with a given club is to test it. I will say that with similar strike quality, your guess seems close (26 degree with longer shaft and 22 with shorter should yield similar results), but the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/24/2021 at 11:22 AM, TL308 said:

Your average 7 wood should be about 21 degrees of loft so 26 deg for a 7 wood seems like a lot. 

Also, be aware that some golfers hit hybrids better than fairways. And others hit fairways better than hybrids.

Hard to tell from your info. I would suggest a diagnostic fitting with current long clubs. This would show what performance you are actually getting from each club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

During one of my lessons I asked this very question. My instructor, PGA Teaching Pro, said that it is easier to get the 7w through than the same lofted hybrid.

I didn't believe him but after much time / trial it seems, for me, to be true. Everyone has different bio mechanics.

Look at your gaps and your yardage gaps. Find where those are and fill it with the appropriate club. I would look at the more modern 7w from Callaway (my new love in clubs) - for me it is the speed - Taylormade, Ping, etc. and hit it along side your 26* 7w. I will say that you will be surprised by the distance and forgiveness of the newer clubs.
When I did this very thing I put up the Ping (as I was a ping guy) 425 in both the 7w and the 4hy, the same in Taylormade, Titleist, Callaway (loved the super hybrid, but it was way too high a launcher for me), Cobra and Wilson. Then I did a fitting and it came down to the Titleist and the Callaway because of feel and numbers. The Callaway just felt better.

You need to go and try em all, feel the feel and note the distances and I would suggest that you get a pga pro (fitting/teaching) to fit you for the club you are looking at/for.

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, MrFreeze said:

During one of my lessons I asked this very question. My instructor, PGA Teaching Pro, said that it is easier to get the 7w through than the same lofted hybrid.

I didn't believe him but after much time / trial it seems, for me, to be true. Everyone has different bio mechanics.

Look at your gaps and your yardage gaps. Find where those are and fill it with the appropriate club. I would look at the more modern 7w from Callaway (my new love in clubs) - for me it is the speed - Taylormade, Ping, etc. and hit it along side your 26* 7w. I will say that you will be surprised by the distance and forgiveness of the newer clubs.
When I did this very thing I put up the Ping (as I was a ping guy) 425 in both the 7w and the 4hy, the same in Taylormade, Titleist, Callaway (loved the super hybrid, but it was way too high a launcher for me), Cobra and Wilson. Then I did a fitting and it came down to the Titleist and the Callaway because of feel and numbers. The Callaway just felt better.

You need to go and try em all, feel the feel and note the distances and I would suggest that you get a pga pro (fitting/teaching) to fit you for the club you are looking at/for.

Thanks for the thoughtful input. I've decided to stand pat and continue with what I've been using. Experiments with shorter shafted lower lofted hybrids haven't yielded the consistency gains I had hoped for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Does anybody beating anybody count? No matter if they are ranked or not is their ranking is correct? If Ohio State we're to be Georgia Cincinnati Alabama or Oklahoma, why would that be an accomplishment for Ohio State? Who says those four teams I just mentioned are properly ranked? I will admit that a lot of big-name teams feast off of no-name teams, but I think there are a couple reasons for that. It gets the powerhouse's ready for the actual season and gives the no names a bit of notoriety and income. 
    • A picture would help, or a video even more.
    • This is the right way of thinking about it. Nobody here is a PGA Tour player. Think of it this way. For a 350-yard hole that you could play at 400 yards… even a 15% chance of getting bogey instead of par is not worth the tradeoff: 350 > (400 * .85) Basically, you're risking 350 points against scoring an extra 50 points if the choices are 350/400.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. david7w5
      david7w5
      (49 years old)
    2. Jmwest76
      Jmwest76
      (45 years old)
    3. Mikael Detterberg
      Mikael Detterberg
      (39 years old)
    4. NEhomer
      NEhomer
      (61 years old)
    5. RangeGolfer
      RangeGolfer
      (40 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...