IGNORED

I use a Reg. shaft what would happen if I go Stiff?

Note: This thread is 5889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My problem is I want a 2007 Big Bertha 3 wood to match my Big Bertha driver. I don't have alot of money so I've been looking on ebay to try to get one cheaper. The reg flex one seem to be going higher than the stiff. I never been fitted this will be my first full season golfing only went 5 times last year. I'm guessing I'm reg for everything. What would happen if I went to a stiff flex for my 3 wood.

Thanks,

A real Newbie

My buddy plays stiff irons and reg shafted woods...I know it's diff. from your situation, but he hits all of them just fine, average distance, straight. Could he hit it better if he was fitted properly.......maybe...Point is you will most likely be just fine if you go stiff...worst case you'll sacrifice some distance for accuracy...which IMO is not a bad thing

If this stiff is right for you, it will not feel as whippy and will feel great.

Now, more likely, by getting a stiff shaft in your woods, it will feel very harsh and boardy, and you probably will not get the ball in the air as much as you should, which will cause distance loss. your shots will also most likely be a pushy slice, so if that is your normal shot already (expected for a 36) your shot will be even worse. So think twice about getting a stiff shaft for your 3 wood, it could render you useless and then you'd even lose more money than if you just spent a little extra on the reg. shaft :o

Best of Luck!

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

Since we don't have much information to go on, I will say this...

If you can't hit your 3 wood more than 200 yards you probably should stay with regular. If you are hitting over 225 go with stiff. In between is tricky but you could probably go either way. If in doubt, go to the shop and hit some demos and ask someone.

Don't get hung up on "matching" a BB to a BB. I have the BB 454 driver and got the X tour three. There is so much difference between the two clubs you wouldn't even know they were from the same company, but they both do their jobs well.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

My problem is I want a 2007 Big Bertha 3 wood to match my Big Bertha driver. I don't have alot of money so I've been looking on ebay to try to get one cheaper. The reg flex one seem to be going higher than the stiff. I never been fitted this will be my first full season golfing only went 5 times last year. I'm guessing I'm reg for everything. What would happen if I went to a stiff flex for my 3 wood.

Tour Spoon asked the questions and gave you a great answer. IMHO, if you don't measure up to those yardages, you don't move the club fast enough for a stiff shaft. My prediction: You will hit everything dead right or low and right.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I've had every BB they made in the stiff shaft. It's a softer shaft than most regular flex shafts. Its really whippy. I can't play a true Stiff shaft, but the Callaway's are more like A flex then S.

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

Note: This thread is 5889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!