IGNORED

Does Anyone Have a Spreadsheet Template for Golf Club Distances Etc?

SupaPro7
Note: This thread is 845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all - I use the Toptracer app and have just changed clubs and analysing my angles, speed and distance by comparing the 2 sets of clubs.

However, scrolling on my phone between one set of clubs and data isn't much fun on there.

I now want to transfer it to my laptop, but I discovered the app doesn't allow for that.

So, I thought about making a spreadsheet , but my skills in that area are pretty poor. So, then I looked around for one on the internet, but cant find one.

Can anybody point me in the directions of one that can store all of the variables that the Toptracer app can do please?

1 hour ago, SupaPro7 said:

Hi all - I use the Toptracer app and have just changed clubs and analysing my angles, speed and distance by comparing the 2 sets of clubs.

You don't think you're over-analysing?

After one or two rounds you should be able to work out what distance change there is if any. You don't need to worry about "speed or angles".

And you certainly don't need to write anything down. 

It should be a simple matter of something along the lines of "The new irons are 5yards shorter than the old ones." It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that, IMO. 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

You don't think you're over-analysing?

After one or two rounds you should be able to work out what distance change there is if any. You don't need to worry about "speed or angles".

And you certainly don't need to write anything down. 

It should be a simple matter of something along the lines of "The new irons are 5yards shorter than the old ones." It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that, IMO. 

Hi - yes, distances is the key stat but while they are all on the app, I would transport them over while I am at it. Not to complicate it but to have some nice coloured lines on a graph

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, SupaPro7 said:

Hi - yes, distances is the key stat but while they are all on the app, I would transport them over while I am at it. Not to complicate it but to have some nice coloured lines on a graph

But like he was asking… why? Nobody really does this. Why do you need a graph?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

But like he was asking… why? Nobody really does this. Why do you need a graph?

The app essentially does this...it's pretty popular I believe?

I dont need a graph...Ive got the data, and if I was copying across one field, I may as well do all of them and see what I might make of that info. It could be literally nothing and a waste of time, or it could be some kind of insight, or it could just be the satisfaction of looking at how the ball flies for each club in each set of clubs - and if I ever got another set, then I could compare again them too.

I can see why some might find this pointless or superfluous , but while these covid lockdowns are on and off, you gotta find a few things to interest yourself in the house?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, SupaPro7 said:

The app essentially does this...it's pretty popular I believe?

I don't think it's all that popular. We aren't even sure what graphs it's showing you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/11/2021 at 9:55 PM, iacas said:

I don't think it's all that popular. We aren't even sure what graphs it's showing you.

Can't attest to its popularity around the world but here in Madrid there are a few ranges that have it. It's handy as it's basically a pay-per-use launch monitor.

Here's a screenshot from my own app. This is a view for a single session and club, then there is an aggregate per-club view for all your sessions.

As you can see, the single session and club view offers a dispersion chart and per-shot data.

I understand @SupaPro7's pain in that the user experience isn't particularly good (how it aggregates data, the charts it uses, etc.) or complete, and you cannot export your data. I really dislike trend in tech of not allowing users to effectively own their data, and I see the golf world is not an exception. I've been checking launch monitors and as far as I can tell, very few let you export into CSV and similar formats... Toptracer is not an exception. It's a pity because I could do interesting things with the data as I work in software development (I could go as far as create my own UX, derive descriptive stats, create many different charts and visualizations, add milestones of when I was taught this thing or the other, etc.), but what are you gonna do about it...

I also think despite its shortcomings for me it works okay as a short term aid. I'm using it about once every three weeks or so, I see trends in distance and dispersion and take that info to the course or to my instructor. 

I think in a longer term (over a year) I will buy my own launch monitor, and the problem will be that all my data will be dispersed. If I want to consolidate it to see year-on-year trends I will have to manually extract it from the Toptracer app and somehow consolidate it in an external source. Once I'm in the market for a launch monitor I know that data export will be an important consideration for me, though I won't hold my breath for it.

@SupaPro7 maybe you share some of these problems. Unfortunately I cannot recommend anything other than just make the best of what the app offers, or extract it manually. Like others are asking I am not sure what you are trying to analyze but to me distances and dispersion at a glance are the only thing I need at my level.

toptracer.jpeg

Can the data be extracted or exported into a ".csv" file somehow? Plop that into Excel and it will generate a spreadsheet. Take what comes out and modify the headers and such to your liking.

I did, however come across this- It doesn't specifically track distances, but you should be able to add that category- 

1 hour ago, RayG said:

Can the data be extracted or exported into a ".csv" file somehow? Plop that into Excel and it will generate a spreadsheet. Take what comes out and modify the headers and such to your liking.

I did, however come across this- It doesn't specifically track distances, but you should be able to add that category- 

Unfortunately it can't, it's 'locked in' there.

Thanks for that, I'll take a look now

17 hours ago, FlyingSpaniard said:

Can't attest to its popularity around the world but here in Madrid there are a few ranges that have it. It's handy as it's basically a pay-per-use launch monitor.

Here's a screenshot from my own app. This is a view for a single session and club, then there is an aggregate per-club view for all your sessions.

As you can see, the single session and club view offers a dispersion chart and per-shot data.

I understand @SupaPro7's pain in that the user experience isn't particularly good (how it aggregates data, the charts it uses, etc.) or complete, and you cannot export your data. I really dislike trend in tech of not allowing users to effectively own their data, and I see the golf world is not an exception. I've been checking launch monitors and as far as I can tell, very few let you export into CSV and similar formats... Toptracer is not an exception. It's a pity because I could do interesting things with the data as I work in software development (I could go as far as create my own UX, derive descriptive stats, create many different charts and visualizations, add milestones of when I was taught this thing or the other, etc.), but what are you gonna do about it...

I also think despite its shortcomings for me it works okay as a short term aid. I'm using it about once every three weeks or so, I see trends in distance and dispersion and take that info to the course or to my instructor. 

I think in a longer term (over a year) I will buy my own launch monitor, and the problem will be that all my data will be dispersed. If I want to consolidate it to see year-on-year trends I will have to manually extract it from the Toptracer app and somehow consolidate it in an external source. Once I'm in the market for a launch monitor I know that data export will be an important consideration for me, though I won't hold my breath for it.

@SupaPro7 maybe you share some of these problems. Unfortunately I cannot recommend anything other than just make the best of what the app offers, or extract it manually. Like others are asking I am not sure what you are trying to analyze but to me distances and dispersion at a glance are the only thing I need at my level.

toptracer.jpeg

Thanks for reply. I'm loving TopTracer, but lack of export could be fixed by them I guess?

I wanted to use it primarily to look at what difference I get with 2 different sets of clubs, and partly just to have a look at it and see if I could glean anything else

There is no export to CSV file option.

You can add new clubs from the "My Practice" screen. There is a big plus button where you can add a new club and alias it... I've never tried it and I don't know how it syncs with the range machine but you should experiment with that.

As to experimenting with the data, unless you are creative with stats and data visualization I doubt you can pull something really interesting. There just isn't much of interest there aside from dispersion and distance - even an entry point portable launch monitor has more in-depth statistics as far as I can tell. 

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 845 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!