IGNORED

What steps to you take to shape shots?

Note: This thread is 5883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. OK, let's say that you are the 5.4 handicap that you have stated. I have never, ever, ever played with anyone higher than a scratch that could consistantly work the ball. And the honest answer for that is that handicap golfers just do not have solid enough swings too be able to work the ball at will. I will work the ball sometimes, but only because of wind direction. What I am saying is, become a scratch golfer with a solid swing who can consistantly shoot par everytime out, and then worry about your draws or fades.

I can work the ball pretty consistantly. Actually, I know a lot of single digit handicappers who can work the ball "at will". I think you have made a blanket statement that obviously does not apply to everyone.

I naturally hit a draw, but when I need to hit a fade I concentrate on finishing with my hands high. That swing thought has always helped me hit a fade when needed.
In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

I suggest you pick up the the latest issue of golf digest. Tiger shows you how to draw and fade the ball.

Yeah, like whatever he does pertains to us...hahaha

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

well he puts it in lay man's terms. its pretty simple i suppose:

fade: 1. slightly open stance 2. square face to target 3. swing on line of your feet and hold off on release 4. finish high draw: 1. slightly close stance 2. slightly open face 3. swing on line of your feet and release vala!!

Aren't he basic principles of shaping the ball the same for everybody? I'm sure that there are differences to everybody's swing but there should be some simple steps to get the ball to do what you want. Not trying to start an arguement because I have no idea how to shape the ball. I'm happy just to keep the ball in the fairway.

Driver:  Speedline 9.5° w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch AXIS Red Shaft
Fairway:  '07 Burner Fairways
Irons:  Apex Edge 3-W

Wedge:  52° & 58° /  60° 588 Satin

Putter:  Anser 4

well he puts it in lay man's terms. its pretty simple i suppose:

I will have to concur with that. I'm only realizing right now that I need to open that face a little bit on the draw. I was starting to wonder what I needed to do to get rid of the slight hook that was developing in my swing.

I had someone once tell me on the course the "tried and true" advice of, e.g., "well, if you aim at the middle and it fades, you miss the fairway; aim at the left side, and if it fades a little, you're in the middle, and if it fades more, you're on the right side of the fairway."

It's only 'cuz he was older I didn't punch him. If someone ALWAYS hits a fade, I doubt they really need the advice of "aim left." However, this advice is hardly a blanket cure to hit more accurate shots. To that extent, I agree with Hustle: few people over, say, a 10 can strike the ball so consistently to even use this advice regardless. Add in the few people who can, at will, change the shape of their shots, and I believe this topic should be reserved for, probably, 5.0's an under.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. OK, let's say that you are the 5.4 handicap that you have stated. I have never, ever, ever played with anyone higher than a scratch that could consistantly work the ball. And the honest answer for that is that handicap golfers just do not have solid enough swings too be able to work the ball at will. I will work the ball sometimes, but only because of wind direction. What I am saying is, become a scratch golfer with a solid swing who can consistantly shoot par everytime out, and then worry about your draws or fades.

You question my handicap because of my advice, which is correct? I doubt you have played with many golfers in low single figure handicaps, what your saying is that a golfer who plays off of one can not shape the ball, but if said golfer reaches a handicap of scratch he can suddenly work the ball? Handicap is just a number you put on your score card to work out net, In my opinion it has nothing to do with the way you play golf. Ironically in your post you "consistantly" spelt 'consistently' wrong, just so you know

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I had someone once tell me on the course the "tried and true" advice of, e.g., "well, if you aim at the middle and it fades, you miss the fairway; aim at the left side, and if it fades a little, you're in the middle, and if it fades more, you're on the right side of the fairway."

Think about it, everyone has a natural shot, if you constantly hook the ball why on earth would you aim down the middle of the fairway and try and hold the club face open through impact, your making your target smaller and your margin for error smaller. If the golfer who hooks the ball aims to the right hand side of the fairway it brings the hole fairway in to play... how is this hard to comprehend?

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Note: This thread is 5883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!