IGNORED

What steps to you take to shape shots?

Note: This thread is 5872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see a lot of debate regarding this subject. There are as many different ways as players I guess. Without starting another stupid debate on the "right" way to shape shots or why other people's techniques are "wrong", I am curious as to see a kind of list of ways people think they accomplish shaping shots in steps so that others in the forum can try them out to see for themselves if one "system" works better for them than others.

To provide a "list" of systems rather than start a debate I ask that others simply supply the steps that they actually take for themselves and not simply contradict others. I will, of course, provide a sample. I have used this system for a few years now and it works for ME.

1. I pick two aiming points. One the furthest point of curvature and two the
final target.

2. I set up as if I were hitting a straight shot directly at the apex of curve.

3. I loosen my grip and rotate the club until the face looks directly at the
final target and regrip.

4. I move my entire body and feet, or rotate everything, until the the face
of the club once again faces the apex of curvature.

5. Then I just take my normal swing.

Tom

for a certain shot, i will have my clubface square to the target, and ill slightly open or close my stance depending on what I want, and then I just swing along the line that my feet are on. its pretty simple and works pretty well for me. not too much tweaking, just a slight difference in body alignment.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

For a draw
closed stance ,strong grip
Fade
open stance, weak grip

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I see a lot of debate regarding this subject. There are as many different ways as players I guess. Without starting another stupid debate on the "right" way to shape shots or why other people's techniques are "wrong", I am curious as to see a kind of list of ways people think they accomplish shaping shots in steps so that others in the forum can try them out to see for themselves if one "system" works better for them than others.

I do pretty much the same thing, except i stop after step 3 and swing normally. I have a tendency to sometimes overdo it. Your method seems like it could help with this,so I think I'll try it. Thanks!
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I just aim the club at my target, and put my feet on the line I want to start it on. Then I swing along my foot line. It as always just seemed like the simplest way to do it for me.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Heck, if I want to curve right all I have to do is make sure there's a water hazard over there.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I just aim the club at my target, and put my feet on the line I want to start it on. Then I swing along my foot line. It as always just seemed like the simplest way to do it for me.

My thoughts exactly. If strokes were not so important to me, depending on which game and who is involved, I would be willing to guess that I would carry a +1 or +2 handicap. But with that being said I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A SITUATION WHERE I HONESTLY NEEDED TO "WORK THE BALL." I LAND MOST EVERYTHING HIGH AND SOFT AND WHEN IN DOUBT I GO AT THE CENTER OF THE GREEN. I see so many guys/gals out there carrying -12 or higher handicaps, that have tremondus potential to become scratch golfers, but they focus too much on working the ball to the pin.

My thoughts exactly. If strokes were not so important to me, depending on which game and who is involved, I would be willing to guess that I would carry a +1 or +2 handicap. But with that being said I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN A SITUATION WHERE I HONESTLY NEEDED TO "WORK THE BALL." I LAND MOST EVERYTHING HIGH AND SOFT AND WHEN IN DOUBT I GO AT THE CENTER OF THE GREEN. I see so many guys/gals out there carrying -12 or higher handicaps, that have tremondus potential to become scratch golfers, but they focus too much on working the ball to the pin.

I would have to agree with this statement. Too many people focus on trying to draw the ball or fade it to get to a tough pin. I think people have a better chance at just shooting for the nearest safe spot and trying to make a putt. I think the reasons I have learned to work the ball are so that I can deal with the wind and improve my distance control. Being able to fade or draw the ball allows me to negate or exaggerate the wind and get pin high.

FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300

I would have to agree with this statement. Too many people focus on trying to draw the ball or fade it to get to a tough pin. I think people have a better chance at just shooting for the nearest safe spot and trying to make a putt. I think the reasons I have learned to work the ball are so that I can deal with the wind and improve my distance control. Being able to fade or draw the ball allows me to negate or exaggerate the wind and get pin high.

And I too sir agree with your statement. Mine was more directed to the guy who started the thread. It is my thought that if you are in that 4 to say 12 handicap range, you should be more focused on the center of greens and putting. I do work the ball, but I can also go out on almost any given day and shoot par playing to the center of all greens. I say focus on ball movement when you are trying to go really low...

One more thing regarding shot shaping. I would try to stay away from altering your grip. IMO you will have much better luck by making purely stance/setup alterations as opposed to grip changes. Changing your grip can lead to inconsistency and could possibly cause you to screw up your grip for all of your other shots.

FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300

In my opinion trying to hit a straight shot leaves the smallest margin for error, and is also the hardest type of shot to commit too.

If you work on hitting a small draw or small fade in to a hole you open up and effectively make the target larger, and also allow yourself to commit to a particular shape of shot. Aiming at a certain point and hoping you hit a good shot is conducive to bad scores.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

• Administrator
In my opinion trying to hit a straight shot leaves the smallest margin for error, and is also the hardest type of shot to commit too.

Agree with all of the above. Additionally, while working a shot, you can aim at the safe part and work the ball back to the pin or landing area.

The indecisiveness of "will the ball go left or right" when trying to hit a straight shot is far more damaging to the psyche than "will my ball fade too little or too much" when working the ball. In the latter, you can be pretty confident it's at least going to fade, which is - somehow - better than not having a clue whether it's going to go a little left or a little right.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you are looking at this the wrong way. OK, let's say that you are the 5.4 handicap that you have stated. I have never, ever, ever played with anyone higher than a scratch that could consistantly work the ball. And the honest answer for that is that handicap golfers just do not have solid enough swings too be able to work the ball at will. I will work the ball sometimes, but only because of wind direction. What I am saying is, become a scratch golfer with a solid swing who can consistantly shoot par everytime out, and then worry about your draws or fades.

Aren't you always aiming at a certain spot regardless of what type shot your hitting? I mean don't you have to aim for a hook or draw? You have to have a target regardless. Its either where you want the ball to end up or what line you want it to start on.

while working a shot, you can aim at the safe part and work the ball back to the pin or landing area.

03/28/2008 - Tanglewood Reynolds (Championship)... Was your double on 16 because you were trying too work the ball to the pin and back it up.

You are working the ball back to the pin and your last (4) rounds were 76,76,77,84.... I think you are padding your score for an upcoming dogfight. I would guess you are a +2.7...

I guess I need to restate what I was trying to say. I think people are better off to play their natural shot shape most of the time. Whether this is a draw, fade, or straight ball, your natural shot shape will generally inspire the most confidence and yield the best results.

It was my mistake for interchanging the terms "straight" and "natural ball flight". I was trying to say simply that people's natural flight will inspire more confidence, whether it is straight or not.

My apologies for the incorrect wording.

FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300

ive noticed any club longer than a 9i will natually draw anyway. If that is what think of as shotmaking then I guess I do it. I never try to "work" the ball from left to right, if the ball ends up flying that way it is probably because I made a bad swing. I just square up a little right of target and if I made a good swing the ball will just drift left a little. The only clubs I do try to hit a pronounced draw with are my 3, 4 and 5 irons. And the only thing I do there is point my body where I want the ball to start, and point the face where I want it to end up. If ive commited to swinging my body line and not where the clubface is pointed the ball will usually bend the way I pictured it. Ive also noticed its easier to hit those clubs with that kind of a setup.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

• Administrator
I have never, ever, ever played with anyone higher than a scratch that could consistantly work the ball.

Gee, so that must apply to everyone, then, huh? No.

What I am saying is, become a scratch golfer with a solid swing who can consistantly shoot par everytime out, and then worry about your draws or fades.

That's pretty bad advice.

03/28/2008 - Tanglewood Reynolds (Championship)... Was your double on 16 because you were trying too work the ball to the pin and back it up.

No. It's because I tried to bite off too much with my drive and then got cute in the recovery. And hey, that round happened to be the first time I'd even really swung a club in several months.

You are working the ball back to the pin and your last (4) rounds were 76,76,77,84....

Gee, and the calculated index for those three rounds is 3.0, 4.0, and 3.0. Not too bad for a 2.7 index just starting the year.

I think you are padding your score for an upcoming dogfight. I would guess you are a +2.7...

I'm a 2.7. Not a +2.7. Big difference. Look me up on GHIN if you want.

I find your entire post distasteful at best, and pretty incredibly jackass-ish at worst. Have you ever seen me play? No. Several others who post here have.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5872 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!