IGNORED

Back to the Basics

RetiredOldMan
Note: This thread is 748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the last 2 years, I have played with senior flex, clubs, hybrids, and softer balls for more distance and for me; It was a mistake and error to do so. 

I am 75 years old and finally have changed back to Conventional Golf Clubs, Regular Flex, (with an exception of my 60* loft wedge which has a stiff shaft) and my Mallet putter. 

I am slowly getting my drive off the tee to 200 yards and hope to bring it on up to 225 250 yards. (Will see but I used to hit it that far.) 

I changed out my 3 and 4 irons for a #3 & #5 Cobra Hybrid because I find them easier to hit from the fairway. 

So we will see how things work out this season and I will let you know. 

I find I play better when I play with golfers who are a little better than me because it helps me stay focused on my game. 

With that said, I also play better when I am not tired. (I mean at 75 years old I can play 2 days straight and then I have to take a break and regain my strength before going back out again.) Or I wind up mowing the yard in the morning before I go and try to play golf.)

I love the game so much that I just don't know when to quit and so wear myself out. 

Probably, my weakest link is my putting. Some days the putting is great and some days, you would think it was my 1st time. 

I played "Match Play" last year and did terrible. I did not like it at all but I learned a lot and will try one more year. I am hoping to win a couple of matches and then be satisfied. 

I don't adjust the lie and if I do adjust the lie of the ball, it generally screws me up. The friend I play with jumps all over me if I adjust the lie. (In a friendly way) When I first started, it was difficult, now it is just normal. 

Last week I shot a 96 and a 92 for 18 on my home course. (Hubba, hubba) 

Retired Old Man 

Edited by RetiredOldMan
correcting grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, RetiredOldMan said:

I love the game so much that I just don't know when to quit and so wear myself out. 

Last week I shot a 96 and a 92 for 18 on my home course. 

Love to see this!  Good scores, bogey golf! Way to go!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

8 hours ago, RetiredOldMan said:

For the last 2 years, I have played with senior flex, clubs, hybrids, and softer balls for more distance and for me; It was a mistake and error to do so. 

I am 75 years old and finally have changed back to Conventional Golf Clubs, Regular Flex, (with an exception of my 60* loft wedge which has a stiff shaft) and my Mallet putter. 

I am slowly getting my drive off the tee to 200 yards and hope to bring it on up to 225 250 yards. (Will see but I used to hit it that far.) 

I changed out my 3 and 4 irons for a #3 & #5 Cobra Hybrid because I find them easier to hit from the fairway. 

So we will see how things work out this season and I will let you know. 

I find I play better when I play with golfers who are a little better than me because it helps me stay focused on my game. 

With that said, I also play better when I am not tired. (I mean at 75 years old I can play 2 days straight and then I have to take a break and regain my strength before going back out again.) Or I wind up mowing the yard in the morning before I go and try to play golf.)

Probably, my weakest link is my putting. Some days the putting is great and some days, you would think it was my 1st time. 

I played "Match Play" last year and did terrible. I did not like it at all but I learned a lot and will try one more year. I am hoping to win a couple of matches and then be satisfied. 

I don't adjust the lie and if I do adjust the lie of the ball, it generally screws me up. The friend I play with jumps all over me if I adjust the lie. (In a friendly way) When I first started, it was difficult, now it is just normal. 

Last week I shot a 96 and a 92 for 18 on my home course. (Hubba, hubba) 

Retired Old Man 

Very impressive! I'm over 70 and a 200+ yard drive is as rare as a pink and purple golf ball. Whatever it is that you're doing you should keep doing it. In fact, if I could hit it as well as you my lawn would never get mowed!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks everyone for all the kind words and encouragement. 

I sort of get down on myself because I don't play better and yesterday was the 3rd or 4th day of blowing winds above 40 mph. 

So I spend my spare time staying inside, on the computer, writing articles that get me banned on FB, and working out on my "going nowhere" Gazelle exerciser. 

I even wound up looking at "Chippers" on EBay. 

Today is sunny with winds in the 20 to 30 mph range with gusts around 40 mph. Tomorrow I am gone all day, I normally won't play on Sunday except to hit a few balls with my buddies on a small 9 hole sand greens course. ( No putting as it really screws up my grass greens putting) 

I do play a Men's Senior every Tuesday morning which started 2 weeks ago and so far, in a 3 man scramble, I shot 3 under and then last Tuesday we were 4 under. 

I am happy while it lasts. (Oh well, I will still be Happy when it doesn't)

But again, thanks for the kind words. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

Note: This thread is 748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!