IGNORED

Is 1/2° difference that much on a driver?

Note: This thread is 5885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This past off season I purchased a Callaway ERC Fusion with 7.5° loft. My other driver is a Callaway knockoff with 8° loft. I cannot seem to hit the Fusion nearly as well as the knockoff. Is this due to the loft or is it more probably the club/shaft?

The shaft on the Fusion is an Aldilla NV 65-S. The knockoff shaft is stiff (don't recall the model).

Even when I do get off the tee with the Fusion, I am not nearly as long with it....easily 20 yds. difference. Common sense tells me to stick with the club that I hit better but I'd really like to figure out what is going on with the newer club. Any thoughts?

I would guess that it is either the shaft, or the knockoff is actually quite different.

what swing speed do you have... 7.5 / 8 is very low loft.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Be aware also that the best of companies accept a 1 degree variation on there heads so your 8degree mabe only 7 or it could be as high as 9. Who knows what standard your knockoff is held to it could be anything. If you want to know the true loft you can check it with some devices, prob just easier to take it to your pro shop they should have the tools to check the actual loft for you.

I would guess that it is either the shaft, or the knockoff is actually quite different.

Thank you Big_M.

I'm not sure of my swing speed. I'm hoping to get that checked soon. I hit my 8° (as well as about every single other club) very high.....so I'm told by the more accomplished golfers that I play with anyway.
Be aware also that the best of companies accept a 1 degree variation on there heads so your 8degree mabe only 7 or it could be as high as 9. Who knows what standard your knockoff is held to it could be anything. If you want to know the true loft you can check it with some devices, prob just easier to take it to your pro shop they should have the tools to check the actual loft for you.

Thank you wigolffan.

Wow! Up to 2.5° variation could be a problem.I will see if my pro shop can check them out.

For what's it's worth I hit a 11.5 deg w/ a 88-92ss, 13.7 launch angle, 3100rpm...according to trackman..

7-8 deg. is really low. I'm not saying it doesn't work for you, just throwing in a comparison...if it matters

And yes there could be up to 1-2deg variation

For what's it's worth I hit a 11.5 deg w/ a 88-92ss, 13.7 launch angle, 3100rpm...according to trackman..

Thank you larlev.

The 8° definitely works for me. I typically hit my 8° driver 220-250 yds. (depending on conditions) and sometimes reach 300+ yds (not often enough though). I'm going to get my swing tested and do some research on this. That 1-2° variation is way more than I thought they would deviate. Interesting.

Thank you larlev.

I have also heard that face angles can actually be quite different from what is stamped on the club... don't misinterpret though... if a Callaway 8* is actually 10*, then all 8* of that model will be 10*... but in your case it is a knockoff v. Callaway... so as others have said, God only knows what the difference actually is. Again, it very well could be the shaft... I have can hit the Nike drivers great with a V2 or Aldila Proto, but the yellow diamana ballons like crazy for me. If it makes you feel any better I am in the same boat... I can't find anything that performs well enough to take my knockoff driver out of my bag.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

knock offs hit a good 15 yards shorter no mater what the loft is.

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

mine doesn't... I have hit a Sasquatch on a monitor and on the course, and the knockoff performs better. Of course the real one I am hitting has the V2 in it, not the Gold, but these shafts are fairly similar... so maybe not ALL hit 15 yds shorter.

I have also heard that face angles can actually be quite different from what is stamped on the club... don't misinterpret though... if a Callaway 8* is actually 10*, then all 8* of that model will be 10*... but in your case it is a knockoff v. Callaway... so as others have said, God only knows what the difference actually is. Again, it very well could be the shaft... I have can hit the Nike drivers great with a V2 or Aldila Proto, but the yellow diamana ballons like crazy for me.

It could be many things that is causing this. Shaft, driver, me. I just need to look into it more.

If it makes you feel any better I am in the same boat... I can't find anything that performs well enough to take my knockoff driver out of my bag.

It could be many things that is causing this. Shaft, driver, me. I just need to look into it more.

It's almost maddening. I've had many (more accomplished) players tell me I should get a "real" driver (even thought I'm probably in the top 20 in distance off the tee at my course). So I did. Actually one of the said players ordered it for me without me knowing and I agreed to buy it and give it a try.

Although this may be a true statement (I do not know for sure), I don't think it's fair to say that (all) knock offs hit 15 yds shorter no matter what the loft is.

Lets make sure we are not confusing Knock off with componant, Componants are made by ligit companies liker golf works and golf smith they have their own designs, but you may not recognize the name like Maltby or snake eyes, a Knock off is made to look like a Taylormade or Calloway but most often is of a lower quality. In my opinion componants are awsome sometimes out performing the OEM stuff, my experience with knock offs is for the most part they are junk.

Lets make sure we are not confusing Knock off with componant, Componants are made by ligit companies liker golf works and golf smith they have their own designs, but you may not recognize the name like Maltby or snake eyes, a Knock off is made to look like a Taylormade or Calloway but most often is of a lower quality. In my opinion componants are awsome sometimes out performing the OEM stuff, my experience with knock offs is for the most part they are junk.

I'd have to say that this is most definitely a knock off. It has the word Titanium stamped on the back side of the head in the same font as Callaway uses. I really can't say it's "junk" though....not with how well I hit it. Poor quality....probably. Paint is chippin off and somehow I managed to put a big dent on the back side of the hosel (guess which way that tee shot went

).

Note: This thread is 5885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!