IGNORED

Handicapping Question - Mixed Tees

xrayvizhen

In our 9-hole league we normally play from the men’s (white) tees. However, a few older members are requesting they play from the senior tees. The question is, what adjustment, if any, should be made to their handicap for a particular round when they’re playing from those tees so they don’t get an unfair advantage over everyone else?

Here’s an example:

Par         Index     Slope

White Tees:        36           34.6       122       

Senior Tees:       36           32.6       113

It seems logical to me that those playing from the senior tees should have their handicap for that particular round reduced by some number, but what that number is, I’m not certain. Should it be 2 strokes, the difference between the two indexes or another number that’s a function of both the index and slope numbers? I looked at the USGA website in the handicapping section and it seems to indicate that as long as par is the same there should be no adjustment, but that doesn’t make sense at all to me.

If there's a simple formula to apply that anyone knows of, let me know.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

• Administrator

This answer is easy to find. It’s right in the formula now.

6 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

I looked at the USGA website in the handicapping section and it seems to indicate that as long as par is the same there should be no adjustment, but that doesn’t make sense at all to me.

Not an accurate summary of what the site says.

Tell me: assume a 12.1 index and run the formula for the two tees with the same par.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/course-handicap-calculator.html

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used that calculator with one of the players in question, who has a 9-hole handicap of 11.8. The result was a course handicap of 8, which I assumed to mean, instead of him using his 12 handicap from the white tees he'd have a handicap of 8 from the senior tees. That makes sense. But then there was this:

"Since a Course Handicap represents the number of strokes received to play to par, an adjustment is only necessary if players are competing from tees with different pars."

That's what confused me.

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

• Administrator

That’s an adjustment… to the results you calculated.

Since par is the same you just play it as it calculates.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ah, I get it now. Thanks. 

23 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

In our 9-hole league

Are you using the Ghin for maintaining everyone's handicap?
If so, the adjustments are indicated for the players.

Also, what scoring system do you use?
Spreadsheets are a good manner and can be customized to meet any requirements.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!