IGNORED

Gil Hanse to Renovate Oakmont

• Administrator
Oakmont.jpg

One of America's top championship venues prepares for an update

I have no earthly idea how Gil Hanse has time to eat or sleep.

Plans are for the 2023 season, and…

Hanse’s proposal focuses on rebuilding and reconfiguring Oakmont’s bunkers to match the intentions of founding architect H.C. Fownes as well as expanding greens to their original sizes. The master plan document, obtained by The Fried Egg, summarizes the work as follows: “Gil Hanse’s philosophy focuses on implementing H.C. Fownes’ original architectural intent while improving Member playability and maximizing difficulty for Championship golf.” The plan does not call for the greens to be rebuilt but rather restored through expansion.

One other issue the project proposes to address is the availability of alternate routes of play down adjacent holes. Long-hitting players memorably took advantage of these options during the 2021 U.S. Amateur:

The members refer to this as “cross-country golf,” and Hanse’s plan is characterized as “comprehensively” addressing this concern. For example, on holes 10 and 11, the document calls for the current “hook bunker” to be rebuilt and for another bunker complex to be added in order to deter the use of the adjacent hole.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very cool...and will be fun to "watch".  I did a quick Google search, but couldn't really find more detailed information  I'd love to see the actual Master Plan document they reference.

I'll also look forward to playing it again afterward.  :-)

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades