IGNORED

Poll for 12 to 14 USGA index golfers

ctmurrray
Note: This thread is 5876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a 12.8 index (14 hcp at my course) who is short (200 yd drive, 140 yd 5 iron) but straight. Most other players at my handicap in the mens league are much longer drivers (220+ yds) but get into more trouble, hit more fat chips and other issues. I read today the average man drives 192 yds, so I am apparently average in that regard. The course is 6500 yds and 135 slope, 71.1 rating.

My handicap right now is 12.5. I make a ton of pars, some birdies. But I'm a 12.5 because I tend to have a few blow up holes usually due to leaky drives.

For example last week I shot 87 with 2 birdies, 8 pars, 3 bogeys. So I was +1 over 13 of the 18 holes. But on the other five I was quad, quad, double, double, double. So I was +15 on the day, but +14 on just 5 holes. That's why I can't seem to get to single digits, even trying to play smarter, I just have blow up holes. Distance wise I probably drive 250 or so. I play my 7-iron at 165.

I am a 12.8 index (14 hcp at my course) who is short (200 yd drive, 140 yd 5 iron) but straight. Most other players at my handicap in the mens league are much longer drivers (220+ yds) but get into more trouble, hit more fat chips and other issues. I read today the average man drives 192 yds, so I am apparently average in that regard. The course is 6500 yds and 135 slope, 71.1 rating.

My handicap is not as low as yours, but do you ever give me hope! My distances are about the same as yours, although maybe just a little longer, but not much. I have shot the occassional 81 or 82. I just can't get there consistently because I, like many other fellows, have one, two or three blowup holes per round that wrecks my score.

Most guys at my club hit the ball farther than I do, but I can keep up with them when my short game is on. My game is about hitting it straight and the rest is just chipping and putting and trying to stay out of trouble to avoid those one or two blowup holes. This post may not address your question, but I wanted to tell you how good your post made me feel.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

From what you are saying, you have the potential to be a very good golfer - not that you already are. You have the right focus, just keep working at it.

When I was 14 I played to around a 6/7 and got made fun of all the time because I couldn't hit my driver more than 220 on average. I'd be hitting easy driver on 200 yard par 3s, but those would end up on the green, whereas a lot of guys trying to what a 6 iron would end up in the woods. If you can gain some power, go for it, but otherwise, I don't see why it would hold you back. Some of the better amateurs I know, including one family friend who has shot in the 60s, don't hit driver more than 210 yards. If you are playing from the correct tees it doesn't matter - that's why there are multiple tee boxes. I hit my driver 240-280 now and still usually play from the whites on a big championship course. I try to go for the 63-6500 yard range. Is there a tee box at your course around the 6200 yard range? Average drive of 200 yards on a 6500 yard course is stretching it a bit. Not that there's anything wrong with that - if you are looking for that kind of length challenge, then that's cool. However, something in the 6200 yard range might boost you to a single digits handicap and make you even more of a formideable force on the course... while having more fun :)

this is funny. i can crack 300 yard drives.. and hit my 3 wood 250 - 260

BUT my irons stink...granted i know my swing speed isn't enough to fully utilize the stiffness of my 5.5 shafts, but i got them for the accuracy. so my 7 iron's only 150 yards. my 5's 175 - 185
my 3 used to be 210 with my old irons but now it's 200

I don't know why i feel more comfortable swinging longer clubs than shorter irons.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

From what you are saying, you have the potential to be a very good golfer - not that you already are. You have the right focus, just keep working at it.

Our league just began allowing the choice of our tees at 6200 yds vs 6600 yds. The 400 yds come on only 7 holes (otherwise the tees are at the same spot), but these holes will make a big difference for me. They turn 200 yds uphill shots to 135 yd uphill shots (or an impossible shot to one I have a chance with).

Driver: 400 SZ
Irons: Maltby custom fit KE4's
Sandwedge: Maltby Slider
Others: random selection

I know, but I just post whatever the number is and the handicap program knocks off a stroke or two if it's too many.

With our GHIN system for posting you have to post your ESC score, the program doesn't know what you shot on each hole, so it cannot figure out anything.

Driver: 400 SZ
Irons: Maltby custom fit KE4's
Sandwedge: Maltby Slider
Others: random selection

I've worked my way down to a 14.3 of late. I never even pull driver out of the bag on the course. Just not comfortable with it yet, been playing right at a year. I play 3 wood on all par 4's and 5's. Uncertain of my distance with it on the course, but I was assume 230-250 on average. There is a short par 4, 275 yds, on my home course and I rolled my tee shot with a 2 wood right off the fringe.

I play 3 wood because I feel that it gives me the best shot to score. Also hitting the second shot out of the fairway is often much better, even if you are 15-20 yds back. I rely on my iron play which is solid on most days. Generally, I 2 putt but do 3 putt once or twice a round.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

I'm a +15 handicap and shoot drives on average 258 yards. Low drives go about 230, high about 280.

I use a 3 iron for 200+, 4 iron for 200+ - 190, 5 iron for 180, 6 iron for 170, 7 for 160 , 8 for 150, 9 for 140, PW for 130-115, SW for 115-95 and LW for 95 and below.

I also have a 3 wood which i use only with a great lie on a long hole or off of the tee and a 19º Bobby Jones Hybrid which i'll use if i need 210+ off of any surface.

I play to a 12 handicap. My average drives carry 240-250 yards and total 260-270 yards. Keep in mind I play in Souther California with the hard dry fairways. I hit my 3 iron 210 yards off a tee, 200 yards off the deck, 4i 185 yards, 5i 175 yards. My driver swing speed was 98mph, but has dropped down to about 94mph on launch monitors(but I believe I am around 98mph on the course).

I average about 30% fairways and 45% GIR. I average 35 putts per round. My short game is decent with the occasional fat or thin chip.

In The Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°, Fujikura RE*AX 65g Stiff
Hybrid: CLK 17°, Exsar HS2 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60, Project X 6.0, 3i / MP-32, Project X 6.0, 4i-PWWedges: MP-T Black Ni, 51.06 / 56.13 / 60.08Putter: Studio Style Newport 2, 34" / 340gBall: e5+

I'm a 14.5 hdcp and am also a short hitter around 200-210 on average from the tee. I have no great strengths and no great weaknesses in my game. It just seems that one aspect of my game is missing most days. One day it can be hitting it crooked off the tee, another day poor putting, another day bad bunker shots.... There are a few long holes on my home course that I can't reach in regulaton even if I am hitting good shots, so in order to get a par on those holes I need to put a pitch or chip close and one putt. I just don't do that often enough. My other problem is that I am hitting many approaches from 140 to 180 yards out and not hitting enough GIR. I'll put my appraoches close to the green but not hit them. With lots of greenside bunkers, deep rough and water that is a recipe for a bad score.

12-14 index is what to expect from a good golfer who doesn't get to play or practice a lot. The only way to get lower is to be sharp with your short game and I've found that this requires a lot of maintenance, although some people may just be naturally sharp at this aspect.

The low single digit HC are probably playing and practicing way too much IMO although again there are some natural born players who don't have to work so hard at it. Keeping a low HC . . . got to have no flaws, have great course management and not make mistakes . . . and make a lot of birdies. So probably being able to putt very well from 10' in is the best practice of all to go low.

The last low handicapper I played with had 5 birdies on the front 9, all made by knocking in 10' type putts.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Note: This thread is 5876 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!