IGNORED

Cobra Oversize IIs - Time to Replace?

Good Morning All.

So for some reason this year, I have been bitten hard to get back into the game after a probably 13-14 year gap.  I have played a round here and there for business, but haven't bought anything or worried about my gear since it wasn't really relevant.  I got out a few times this spring, and really just want to get back into it more.  Personal life will prevent me from getting out maybe more than once or twice a month, so still not very much at all.  

Anyway, my current set of clubs is a set of Cobra Oversize IIs that I bought used when I first started playing.  They have served me well, but I started thinking about "maybe its time for an upgrade".  After far too much time on the internet, I discovered the Maltby Playability Factor, and realized that my current clubs (that I thought were supposed to be good for non-pros when they came out) have a factor of 115 😬.  So, that really has put my brain into the idea off maybe some new irons would help me enjoy myself a little as I try to get back into things.  I need to work on my grip, swing (Im a huge slicer off the tee), and other things, but would like to get some equipment to start out well also.  

Right now was looking to stay with used since I cannot justify the price of new clubs.  From some searching, potentially looking at some Mizuno MX-19s, Ben Hogan Apex Edge, Some Nikes (not sure what ones), or some Pings (again, not sure what ones).  I know, a pretty wide spectrum.  Ideally there would be a fitting and some idea of swing speeds and things, but honestly Im so far out of practice I dont know that I can be consistent enough for that to be of any value.

I welcome any thoughts/input here, and sorry if this is more suited to another forum than the Clubs area.

10 minutes ago, Scipio said:

After far too much time on the internet, I discovered the Maltby Playability Factor, and realized that my current clubs (that I thought were supposed to be good for non-pros when they came out) have a factor of 115 😬.  So, that really has put my brain into the idea off maybe some new irons would help me enjoy myself a little as I try to get back into things.  I need to work on my grip, swing (Im a huge slicer off the tee), and other things, but would like to get some equipment to start out well also.  

There are those who like and/or buy into the Maltby Playability Factor. But I am NOT one of them. In my opinion, no offense to anyone, I would completely ignore the Maltby Playability Factor. Pretend you've never heard of, never seen it, don't know what it is. 

In terms of new equipment, that can be a journey. Sometimes clubs you think you'll love, you don't. Others grow on you. Others you love right out of the box.

The clubs you have now are good enough to play and get lessons with. During the time you are improving, try stuff. Try your friends clubs. Test clubs at demo-days. Hit stuff at what ever store will let you. Sooner or later something shiny will catch your eye. New or used. 

Telling somebody what type of clubs to play is kind of like telling somebody what they should like on their pizza. 

Enjoy the journey. Golf is fun. Life is better when you are playing more often. Life is great when you are playing well.  

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Enjoy the journey. Golf is fun. Life is better when you are playing more often. Life is great when you are playing well.  

I think thats probably the best said thing right here.  I figure a bad day on the course is still better than one spent in the office...  I try to always enjoy it, even if it I dont play well.  But I would like to play well.  

And I didnt know what the Maltby thing was before last week, so its not a big deal for me to forget about it, and honestly I wasnt sure how much water it held.  

Appreciate the thoughts, and reading through the links you sent in the other topic now.  Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1

• iacas changed the title to Cobra Oversize IIs - Time to Replace?