IGNORED

My Swing (tickbomb)

tickbomb

• Administrator

@tickbomb, people aren't really gonna click through to watch the videos, and I'm sad that you removed so many (or made them private or whatever) from YouTube. Really lowers the value of your thread here, because it makes it tough for others (including me) to get a quick peek and want to try to help you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

@tickbomb, people aren't really gonna click through to watch the videos, and I'm sad that you removed so many (or made them private or whatever) from YouTube. Really lowers the value of your thread here, because it makes it tough for others (including me) to get a quick peek and want to try to help you.

I deleted some a while back for some reason, I guess I forgot they were linked here.  Maybe I'll upload my progression and do an update to all the things that got me to where I am.

• Administrator

YouTube is free. You can just rename them and make them unlisted in the future.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here is my swing in Sept 2022:

A million things wrong with it.  Setup looks awkward, probably too much weight on my heels, not really over the ball enough.  Take away is really awkward, arms/elbows are really far apart.  Rotation wise, head rotates with the body.  Probably too much depth in the hands.  At the top, I get across the line.  Downswing and transition isn't the worst thing on the planet, but I definitely don't get back to an optimal plane (steep).

Winter 2022-2023:

So I really focused on the take away and keeping the arms together.  The face is super closed face at the top.  Ya my back swing is inside, but it's mostly because I go from a cupped wrist at setup to flat/flexion and have zero wrist hinge.  The backswing is very stiff.  Transition, I don't lower the arms and mostly swing at the ball from the top.  So it's going to be steepish every time.  I was hitting it well like this, but had to do a lot of right side bend (for me), which put a lot of pressure on my trail hip.  So swinging with a steep transition, with trail side bend to compensate was just not going to be a good long term solution.

A ton of experimentation.  Keep searching for improvements.  It was a roller coaster.  Last year I peaked in the high 70's and shot 9's at ~37-39.  But then I would get the hooks and shoot high 80's or even 90's.  There is nothing more demoralizing.  Anyway, the solution to the hooks was always getting my hands high and getting back steep.  Wrist less flat:

But not really how I want to swing, but I made it work.

Winter 2023-2024

Started seeing my winter swing coach again on a trackman.  Really, we worked on getting past my fear of left.  Part psychological, part data driven.  My swing, is typically always 3+ degrees in to out.  Doesn't matter how steep I am, my swing arc is always hitting the ball at the point where it's going right.    Face control-wise, I have a very strong grip, flatten the wrist in the takeaway and get to some flexion through impact.  That combination makes it very hard to have the face open at impact.  Basically impossible.  So let's say I have a 7 iron, if I swing 4 to the right and have a 1 degree closed face, that's overdrawing left every time.  So my choice was either to weaken my grip to have an open face to hit push draws, open my stance to move the path left and hit a pull fade, or reduce flexion.

I chose to weaken my grip.  Other things we worked on were flattening my swing so I don't get across the line, keep my trail arm more connected, decreasing the length of my backswing, keeping posture through the backswing so my head doesn't lift up.  Here is the progress:

You can see the tracers in the top right when I actually keep the face open and the ones that go left for an overdraw.  So that's basically where I'm at.  For driver, I decided to play a fade with an open stance as I find it very hard to swing driver with a super weak grip.  Just have to get a ton of reps to close in the dispersion a bit and get comfortable with that setup:

image.thumb.jpeg.3d0c10721d611abc689b92b58e1fe05f.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Not many people can play that "Rahm-like" roll-it/lay-it-off-but-drop-it-from-there backswing, but it appears that you can.

Good progress.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Was in mexico.  After a couple rounds getting used to playing in real life again, I played to a 6-7 cap for the week, which is a good start to the year.  Course was really hard.  The wind was really strong, however it was the same direction every day.

Back working with my coach neutralizing my path.  Mostly a pivot/shoulder turn issue.  Last year:

Working on keeping more centered around the ball:

Definitely reduces the pushes and seems to help with face control.  Still have to figure out what to do with my legs and hips.  Feel like I am keeping all my weight on my left side in the backswing by bending my front knee and my trail leg gets more straight with lots of tension.  It's resulting in much better impact and flight.  But not sure I'm exactly doing it correct.  I know there are lots of youtube videos on hips, back extension, etc on turning more pure.  I get the sense there is a component of flexibility that dictates how pure you can turn, maybe I'm wrong.  So still trying to figure it completely out.

1 hour ago, tickbomb said:

Back working with my coach neutralizing my path.  Mostly a pivot/shoulder turn issue.  

Just keep working on this for now then.

Still have to figure out what to do with my legs and hips.  Feel like I am keeping all my weight on my left side in the backswing by bending my front knee and my trail leg gets more straight with lots of tension.  It's resulting in much better impact and flight.  But not sure I'm exactly doing it correct.  I know there are lots of youtube videos on hips, back extension, etc on turning more pure.  

Did your coach say that part in bold or are those your thoughts? I would strongly advise against trying to add in leg/hip pieces if your coach is having you work on pivot/shoulder pieces unless your coach specifically has stated that he wants you to work on them together. 

As someone who in the last 12 months has worked through both pivot/shoulder stuff and leg/hip stuff, I couldn't imagine doing both of them at once. Obviously there's some relation between them, but just be careful about adding extra pieces on top of what your coach wants you to work on. 

Definitely stay off the YouTube swing tip path unless there's a specific video or swing your coach recommends you to watch.

So still trying to figure it completely out.

Amen to this. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• 4 weeks later...

Things I am working on:

• Staying centred in the backswing.  
  • Takeaway - I'm working on getting some wrist set to get it less inside.  This feels really high from where I was.  
  • This session my coach and I spent a lot of time trying to turn left through the ball so my club finishes more on plane.  I have a tendency to fall back and I really had to exaggerate almost like my head was falling to the screen on the follow through to even get here:

image.thumb.png.a2d251138be25625b5154c7dc85af3cc.png

After focusing on these things, we decided that would be enough big changes for the season because every time a make a change, I have to adapt ball striking wise.  I'm just ready to play golf.  So my practice will shift to a focus on tempo and target/distance control.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, tickbomb said:

This session my coach and I spent a lot of time trying to turn left through the ball so my club finishes more on plane.

You're gonna have a hell of a time doing that given…

01.jpg

… which is largely a result of setup and…

02.jpg

IMO, you're trying to fix a result, not a cause.

Spoiler

Your setup will tend to make you early extend during the backswing — your pelvis moves quite a bit toward the ball.

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2