IGNORED

How to find/pick a teaching pro?

Note: This thread is 5844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm completely self-taught, and often times that is a big source of pride for me. But lately I'm starting to think that taking some lessons will put me on a faster track to dropping my scores.

I'm concerned about taking lessons though, because I've got some opinions about how I want to play the game, and I don't want to spend money to have someone try to give me some gimmicky swing, or teach me things I don't believe in. Besides, I don't take criticism very well if its done the wrong way, so even taking lessons in the first place is tough on me.

So how do I go about finding a pro who fits with my wants? Is it rude to really ask some tough questions of prospective pros? What questions do you guys think should be asked?

thanks!
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

So how do I go about finding a pro who fits with my wants? Is it rude to really ask some tough questions of prospective pros? What questions do you guys think should be asked?

Ask the questions! When I started, I thought I'd figure it out for myself, but I quickly learned that this was not meant to be, at least for me. I was at the range one day and noticed a lesson happening next to me. All types of shots, practicing, the guy on the tee (taking the lesson) must've been a low single digit at worst. At least, that's how it looked at the time: I've since learned he is a low single digit, but now I know that the long game isn't how you get here. The next lesson, half an hour later, is a 5- or 6-year-old girl's first lesson. By the end, she's getting the ball airborne consistently. After her lesson, I asked the pro for his card and have been taking lessons since (although none lately).

But find out what kind of teacher he is. Does he use video? One of my friends says it's the best thing to happen to his lessons. I, meanwhile, would hate to see my swing flaws. Does he teach out of a book or does he tailor lessons to you? Is he willing to do on-course lessons and short-game lessons, or is he confined to the driving range? It's not rude. You're interviewing someone you're thinking of hiring. You got asked questions at your job interview, right?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With the cost of lessons, ask away. You're the prospective client, so choose. If the pro is offended by your questions, run I committed to one of the pros at our club last October, and have been having lessons 2-3 times per month with him, and I've become much more consistent, which is what I was hoping for.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Treat the prospective pro as you would when you go buy clubs. You buy clubs because you want to play a certain way and do certain things. Tell your pro the same. " I want to be able to do X" and let him know what you feel your deficiencies are.

It's your money and you ultimately decide what's best for you.

Out of curiosity, what's the cost of a lesson in Mass?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Picking a guy that you like, and is nice, but will also give you stern feedback and be honest with you is who you should select. To be honest here, almost every PGA teaching pro gets the same stuff about the golf swing from a book, so they'll all say the same stuff about grip, posture, etc.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Treat the prospective pro as you would when you go buy clubs. You buy clubs because you want to play a certain way and do certain things. Tell your pro the same. " I want to be able to do X" and let him know what you feel your deficiencies are.

at the course nearest to me:

1/2 hour = $45 6 x 1/2 hour = $240 9 hole playing lesson = $140
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Note: This thread is 5844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!