IGNORED

Question for Arccos or CT10 Users

I’m just starting to use my Garmin CT10 sensors and “so far so good”. But one question I have that I can’t figure out. How do you manage club yardages when you use the same club for different types of strokes?

For example, last round I used my 9I as a full swing on an approach shot. But I also used it for chipping and pitching. So per the Garmin App my 9I distance is much lower than it should be.  Would appreciate knowing how others are dealing with this. Thanks in advance. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

1 hour ago, ChiTown said:

I’m just starting to use my Garmin CT10 sensors and “so far so good”. But one question I have that I can’t figure out. How do you manage club yardages when you use the same club for different types of strokes?

For example, last round I used my 9I as a full swing on an approach shot. But I also used it for chipping and pitching. So per the Garmin App my 9I distance is much lower than it should be.  Would appreciate knowing how others are dealing with this. Thanks in advance. 

With Arccos it knows the difference between a chip shot from the side of the green and an approach shot. It also gives you something called "Smart Distance". This is the distance you would normally hit a club on an approach shot. It differs from your average distance as it drops out all the duffs and terrible ones. Then it averages your remaining decent shots. Think of it this way. You hit your 9 iron 150 yards on one shot, the next shot you duff it and hit it 10 yards. Your average distance is 80 yards, but playing your 9 iron from 80 yards wouldn't be "smart". So, Arccos will give you a "Smart Distance of 150 yards. That example is over-simplified, but you get the idea. 

With ShotScope it allows you to mark some shots as "positional". So if you bump a shot out from under a tree or something, it doesn't count toward your averages. 

I don't know anything about CT10. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

With Arccos it knows the difference between a chip shot from the side of the green and an approach shot. It also gives you something called "Smart Distance". This is the distance you would normally hit a club on an approach shot. It differs from your average distance as it drops out all the duffs and terrible ones. Then it averages your remaining decent shots. Think of it this way. You hit your 9 iron 150 yards on one shot, the next shot you duff it and hit it 10 yards. Your average distance is 80 yards, but playing your 9 iron from 80 yards wouldn't be "smart". So, Arccos will give you a "Smart Distance of 150 yards. That example is over-simplified, but you get the idea. 

With ShotScope it allows you to mark some shots as "positional". So if you bump a shot out from under a tree or something, it doesn't count toward your averages. 

I don't know anything about CT10. 

@ChetlovesMer thanks for such a great response.  Wow. Wish I knew that about Arccos before I got the CT10. Oh well … maybe next year. Very much appreciated 

• iacas changed the title to Question for Arccos or CT10 Users
8 hours ago, ChiTown said:

@ChetlovesMer thanks for such a great response.  Wow. Wish I knew that about Arccos before I got the CT10. Oh well … maybe next year. Very much appreciated 

I used Arccos for years and I liked it. 

Now-a-days I use Shot Scope and I like it as well. They both have some pluses and minuses. They do things a little differently. So, one may fit your style or personality better. I found I liked both of them a lot. I do think ShotScope is a bit better value for your money. But that may not always be the case, as there are so often deals to get Arccos free when purchasing new clubs.

Anyway, we have a ShotScope thread and a bunch of folks on this forum using it. You can read all about it here: 

Once again, ShotScope takes a little getting used to, but once you start using it, you may start to feel like you are missing something when you don't use it. I know I do. 

I really wish I knew more about the Garmin CT10. Once you get used to it, maybe you could do a review for us and let us know what you think? 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

(edited)

@ChetlovesMer thanks for your summary and additional info.  I really like my Garmin watch so I thought the CT10s would be a good addition rather than going with Arccos or SS. I’ve learned from a Garmin group that the CT10 can’t adjust for different types of swings and you can’t delete / ignore a stroke for distance purposes. So while Garmin is great with GPS and navigation devices, not so great with golf sensors. 

Edited by ChiTown

2 hours ago, ChiTown said:

@ChetlovesMer thanks for your summary and additional info.  I really like my Garmin watch so I thought the CT10s would be a good addition rather than going with Arccos or SS. I’ve learned from a Garmin group that the CT10 can’t adjust for different types of swings and you can’t delete / ignore a stroke for distance purposes. So while Garmin is great with GPS and navigation devices, not so great with golf sensors. 

You might consider emailing Garmin Support with you question, I can't believe you are the first to ask about that and they may have a solution for you to "ignore" certain shots.  Often companies track these types of requests and if enough people ask about something they may add it to a future enhancement.  And who knows, maybe they have a solution the group did not know of.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

3 hours ago, StuM said:

You might consider emailing Garmin Support with you question, I can't believe you are the first to ask about that and they may have a solution for you to "ignore" certain shots.  Often companies track these types of requests and if enough people ask about something they may add it to a future enhancement.  And who knows, maybe they have a solution the group did not know of.

@StuM I did that as well. Here is their response that I just received. Long story short I’ve now learned that it somehow self selects shots for which to count for distance vs “approach shots”. So it’s better than I thought but wish there was a way to see the shots that create the distances.

If you look at your "Performance Stats," you will see a category for Drive, Approach, Chips and Putts. The program we use will toss those chip shots from your average.  I think when you get inside 50 yards the change take s happen.  If you hit knock down, punch or similar shots on your approach shots those might effect the average a little.

• 1 month later...