IGNORED

Can't Stop Twisting the Club Face Closed at Set up & Take Away

Lefty Lee

I am having an issue that is driving me nuts!  I'm a lefty & when I set up to the ball I cannot stop hooding the club face...even before I take the club back.  It feels like when I grip it with my top (left) hand my middle & ring fingers press into the grip and twist the club face forward (shut).  It gets worse when I begin the backswing.  I find myself trying to correct it in a split second during the downswing.  I am snap hooking almost every shot hard left and about 6 ft high.  I left the range last night looking for a damn pawn shop!  I came in second at our club championship recently and then suddenly this crap started happening.  It's frustrating and embarassing.  Can anybody help me?  

2 hours ago, Lefty Lee said:

I am having an issue that is driving me nuts!  I'm a lefty & when I set up to the ball I cannot stop hooding the club face...even before I take the club back.  It feels like when I grip it with my top (left) hand my middle & ring fingers press into the grip and twist the club face forward (shut).  It gets worse when I begin the backswing.  I find myself trying to correct it in a split second during the downswing.  I am snap hooking almost every shot hard left and about 6 ft high.  I left the range last night looking for a damn pawn shop!  I came in second at our club championship recently and then suddenly this crap started happening.  It's frustrating and embarassing.  Can anybody help me?  

bob-newhart-stop-it.gif.35461ffba5d7878a80575fc8e7b049d6.gif

Have you tried not doing that? 

JK - I had this issue about 15 years ago. As you said - it was very frustrating and made golf no fun at all. For me, as I suspect with you, it wasn't actually an issue with my hands. It was something else. I hesitate to say what turned out to be the problem for me as if you're not doing the same thing it actually may cause you more harm than good.

Do you have a coach you work with? 

Would you consider posting a video of your swing in a MySwing thread? 

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Lefty Lee said:

Sorry, no way to reasonably help you with what you mentioned but you can try this if you want advise from a random internet guy - You can experiment with a super exaggerate a lead wrist bow to match the hooded clubface when you grip at address and then let it relax before you start the backswing. May be it fixes the issue. Good luck. As always, finding a qualified instructor is your best bet. 

Vishal S.

• Administrator

You probably have a poor grip.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets